The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 16, 2017, 08:09 AM   #1
Hal

I'm thinking about leaving the revolver world...

I took an honest assessment of every gun I own & had to admit - - I just don't shoot a revolver any more.
In fact, I sold off two very pristine model 19's back in 2009 for a price that will make a lot of people cry ($~ $290 for each)
Oh well - they went to good homes.

Anyhow, I was on the line about getting a new S&W M69 "snubby".

Now I'm wondering - why?

Maybe it's time to just admit - I just don't have that old "itch".

Matter of fact, I bet it's been over 20 years since I shot my pet M19!

I know for a fact the last time I shot my M17's was New Year's Eve - 1999.
Old November 16, 2017, 09:05 AM   #2
old bear

Hal, before you make your final decision, why not have some range time, only, with your revolvers? After that you should be able to make an informed decision about keeping your revolvers or not.
Many of the new auto-loaders are great handguns, but there is something special about a quality revolver.
Old November 16, 2017, 09:11 AM   #3
stephen426

I feel the same way about revolvers. I have a 6" Stainless Ruger GP100 and that is my only wheel gun. Even then, it hardly gets shot. It is a tack driver and the single action trigger is phenomenal, but I've never really liked how revolvers feel in the hand or how they point. I don't have any plans to sell it, but I don't see it getting much use either. Maybe it is because .357 ammo is a bit pricier than 9mm too?
Old November 16, 2017, 09:19 AM   #4
UncleEd

You're a bottom feeder !!!!
Old November 16, 2017, 09:22 AM   #5
BarryLee

I'll freely admit I don't shoot my revolvers as much as I do my semi-auto handguns. However, one of my biggest regrets is the fact that twenty years ago I let a really nice old Colt Cobra go. I guess my point is you may not miss them now, but you might down the road.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 16, 2017, 09:32 AM   #6
Radny97

There are many of us that will gladly take those old things off your hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 16, 2017, 09:38 AM   #7
shurshot

Leaving the Revolver world? Have you been influenced by the Russians too???? That is just plain unpatriotic!!! Lol!!
Old November 16, 2017, 09:42 AM   #8
stephen426

Quote:
Leaving the Revolver world? Have you been influenced by the Russians too???? That is just plain unpatriotic!!! Lol!!
Excuse me... Where is John Browning from?
Old November 16, 2017, 09:47 AM   #9
Longhorn1986

I love my revolvers (Colt SAA .45, model 65-3 .357 & model 60-9 .357), but it seems the cost of ammo relative to autoloader ammo is such that I really don't shoot them as often as I'd like. Factor in the fact that I can't seem to convince my shooting club to have a periodic "wheelgun day" for us fans, and it seem they spend more time gathering dust than I'd wish.
Old November 16, 2017, 09:53 AM   #10
USSR

Depression causes us to say and do some foolish things. Cheer up and stretch your revolvers legs.

Don
Old November 16, 2017, 09:57 AM   #11
rclark

Your choice of course, but as for me, well, if I don't have a revolver in my hand, I just wouldn't be shooting. And more than likely it will be Single Action. Never saw the draw to semi-autos ... although I understand why the military and police use them. The right tool for the right job.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 16, 2017, 10:03 AM   #12
BigJimP

You know there is a good market out there for your revolvers...

On the other hand...just because you don't shoot them / doesn't mean you can't keep them to appreciate them as pieces of craftmanship...( they don't cost you anything to keep...or feed...sitting in the safe ) !

I go thru the same thing once in a while on guns I don't shoot often....and there will come a day ...( I'm only 67 now ) ...when I'll get rid of most of them...but its no rush.
----------
A lot of guys at my local range...were kicking this around one day ..so they came up with "Wheel Gun Wed's"...and while we all chuckled, its almost against the rules not to bring a wheel gun along on Wed's... The revolver is still a good tool, with the longer trigger pull, to teach new shooters the technique of executing that long trigger pull smoothly...( plus I just like them ...especially S&W model 18's, 19's, 27's, 29's ...)
Old November 16, 2017, 10:04 AM   #13
spawndn72

I have regretted selling every gun I have ever sold with the exception on one Kel-tec P11.
Old November 16, 2017, 11:08 AM   #14
OzeanJaeger

Old November 16, 2017, 11:26 AM   #15
Bob Wright

Well, I'm just the opposite. Had my fling with the auto pistol, lost too much brass, not enough range for my use. Then tried the double action revolver ~ Colt Pythons, S&W K-Frames, L-Frames, and N-Frames. But then the Single Action Revolver won over my heart. Been thinning out my DA revolvers slowly but surely.

Bob Wright
Old November 16, 2017, 12:20 PM   #16
reddog81

It'll be easy to sell them now a days. Lots of people are coming to the realization that revolvers are easier to shoot accurately, more versatile, and your brass doesn't go flying every where.

The prices on those lightly used revolvers in good condition are pretty close to the new price S&W is charging. 10 years ago lightly used revolvers were about half the price of buying new.
Old November 16, 2017, 12:20 PM   #17
Real Gun

Except for the little ones with debatable firepower or round count, revolvers don't carry concealed very well. However, when it is time to go to the range, the real fun shooters come out, and the revolvers have their day.
Old November 16, 2017, 12:28 PM   #18
Doc Holliday 1950

Hal,
I agree with Old Bear. After I got my Glocks I seemed to forget about my revolvers, which I truly enjoyed & felt safe with.
On purpose went to my range with only my 2 -357 in magnum revolvers and
shot close range,medium & as far back as the target would go using both 357 mag ammo & 38 sp ammo. The sounds & actions were very different from the Glocks.
For me, I'll be rotating what I shoot from now on. IMHO this works for me.

Doc
Old November 16, 2017, 12:31 PM   #19
mavracer

My back sure appreciates revolvers at the range, not picking up brass is a big plus to me. Other than my LCR have come to the conclusion that revolvers as s service size weapon don't make much sense anymore.
My 2 1/2" Smith 19 and my Sig 229 are about the same size and the Sig has twice the ammo.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old November 16, 2017, 12:33 PM   #20
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
I took an honest assessment of every gun I own & had to admit - - I just don't shoot a revolver any more.
In fact, I sold off two very pristine model 19's back in 2009 for a price that will make a lot of people cry ($~ $290 for each)
Oh well - they went to good homes.

Anyhow, I was on the line about getting a new S&W M69 "snubby".

Now I'm wondering - why?

Maybe it's time to just admit - I just don't have that old "itch".

Matter of fact, I bet it's been over 20 years since I shot my pet M19!

I know for a fact the last time I shot my M17's was New Year's Eve - 1999.

Peoples' interests and priorities can change over time. I would be cautious about getting rid of stuff though as it may be difficult/impossible to reacquire in the future and even if you manage to, it won't have the same sentimental feel.
Old November 16, 2017, 12:43 PM   #21
T. O'Heir

You'll never win if you reduce the number of toys you can buy. Nobody says you have to shoot everything you own regularly either. You can call yourself a collector.
Old November 16, 2017, 12:46 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
That should be your answer right there!
You made one egregious mistake, don't double down and do it again.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 16, 2017, 12:55 PM   #23
shafter

I wouldn't sell off anything. Interest comes and goes and one day you realize that the gun you haven't shot in years is now the most interesting one you own. Don't let it be the one you don't own anymore.
Old November 16, 2017, 01:12 PM   #24
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter
I wouldn't sell off anything. Interest comes and goes and one day you realize that the gun you haven't shot in years is now the most interesting one you own. Don't let it be the one you don't own anymore.
I know this is also Cheap Shooter's philosophy, but I don't agree with it. I had a Sig P245 and we just didn't get along. I shot my P228 and P229 very well, but I could not shoot the P245 well. I traded it (plus money) for a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special and could not be happier. I sold my Springfield Armory XDs .45 to a friend because I hated the trigger. I changed it out for the Powder River Precision and that made it unreliable. I gave him a good deal on the gun and gave him the original parts. Don't miss it at all.

There might be guns that you just don't care for at all. Why tie up money and space when you can buy something you enjoy? The only gun I want to get rid is the Kahr MK9. The frame is made of cheap stainless that is subject to pit rusting and it is WAY too heavy for a 6+1 9mm. If ARs go through the roof again like they did after Sandy Hook, I might sell off my Colt HBAR. It has sat in the safe for years. I don't care for outdoor ranges unless I'm doing tactical shooting and ARs indoors are pretty much pointless.
Old November 16, 2017, 01:18 PM   #25
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal
I just don't have that old "itch".
That's cool. Life's too short to feel like you're supposed to feel the love. Shoot whatever makes you happy, and don't feel guilty about it, IMO. There's a world of great firearms beyond the revolver.