The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 14, 2018, 05:24 PM   #1
KLCane

Frequency of cleanings

I am sure this has been discussed over the years, but just curious as to how often you guys clean your firearms? I have been doing it each time after I shoot. Do you clean them brand new before you even shoot them?

I sort of enjoy stripping them down and making them all shiny and new looking.
Old March 14, 2018, 05:31 PM   #2
laytonj1

I clean them after every range use. I even strip them down and clean brand new guns before using them. It's a labor of love for me and I've been doing it that way for 32 years. Have yet to wear one down from cleaning.

Jim
Old March 14, 2018, 05:53 PM   #3
BigJimP

I always fully strip and clean and lube a brand new gun before I shoot it.

And yes, I clean a gun after every range visit..

I will also fully strip a gun to a bare frame about every 3,000 rds ...fully clean, inspect, lube and reassemble / or once a year, even if I don't shoot it often.
Old March 14, 2018, 06:06 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I strip down a brand new gun for a quick inspection. I clean them, ummmmm, periodically.
Old March 14, 2018, 06:18 PM   #5
UncleEd

I treat new guns the same as any
new car. With the car I tear it
down to its last bolt.

Most of the time, be they cars
or guns, they have too many
parts and can be discarded.

With a new toaster, I am sort of
in between.

How about you posters on new
toasters?
Old March 14, 2018, 06:40 PM   #6
MandolinMan

I clean my carry guns after every range trip. During the summer months I'll wipe down the outside weekly to prevent rust.

My other guns get cleaned much less frequently. Sometimes only after I start seeing malfunctions.
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old March 14, 2018, 06:44 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

I usually do a disassembly per the manual and clean the gun when it's new so I know how it looks before I shoot it and also because I've found issues on a number of occasions while completing the process.

Two of them involved some kind of compound/metal shavings left over from the manufacturing process. The detritus was crammed into hard to reach areas on the gun and needed to be cleaned out--in one case it was preventing proper function.

It also lets me properly lubricate the gun. Some guns ship with a heavy preservative oil which isn't ideal as a gun lubrication product. Some ship with a lot of oil/lubricant on them, more than is needed/recommended for actual use.

From there, how often I clean depends on the gun, what its intended use is, and how often I shoot it.

A range only rimfire is going to be cleaned pretty rarely.

A self-defense use firearm is going to be cleaned after every range visit.

A range-use only centerfire will be cleaned when it needs it. If I shoot 500 rounds in a visit, it will probably be cleaned before it's used again. If I shoot a box or two through it and plan to take it back to the range before too long, it won't get cleaned unless it has already had a good number of rounds through it since the last cleaning. I do keep track of how many rounds I shoot through each of my firearms so I have a good idea of the last time they were cleaned and how many rounds it has been since then.
Old March 14, 2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Rangerrich99

All new-to-me guns get a thorough cleaning before I take them to the range for the first time.

Range guns (not carry guns) get completely disassembled and thoroughly cleaned twice a year.

Carry guns get quick cleaned after every two or three range trips. Complete disassembly and cleaning twice a year.

Revolvers are on a different schedule around here. They get disassembled and cleaned once a year or less depending on how often they're actually used.
Old March 14, 2018, 08:13 PM   #9
TailGator

I do a field strip, clean, and lube before going to the range with any pistol, new or used, and after each range session. I disassemble the slide of my primary carry pistol, a Glock, once or twice a year, to clean the firing pin channel. I will occasionally do a bit more disassembly for more deep cleaning - pulling the extractor out of my Berettas once in a while is the example that pops into my head easiest, from having been done most recently - but I don't detail strip the frame for cleaning purposes. I get them clean enough for reliable function without doing so, and am content with that.
Old March 14, 2018, 09:11 PM   #10
Bartholomew Roberts

New guns get disassembled and examined before using - bore checked, cosmoline or other preservatives removed if necessary, lube added if necessary.

Firearms being used every month or two get cleaned when they get cleaned. Cleaning is just for functional purposes and to remove enough gunk so I can visually inspect wear and tear parts for cracks. Always nicer to spot the cracked part before it becomes a loose part rattling around in the innards and locking everything up.

Firearms that have been immersed in water get cleaned at the first opportunity.

Firearms being stored for over a month get cleaned before storage (usually). Sometimes I’m lazy on firearms that I am very familiar with and know what they’ll tolerate, especially if they are just range guns.

Firearms that have ceased functioning 100% for mysterious, undiagnosed reasons get cleaned top to bottom and relubed (including aggressive chamber and bore cleaning).
Old March 14, 2018, 10:31 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

New, field strip, and clean all the manufacturing residue and protectant. lightly lubricate points of friction.
New yo me used, field strip, clean and lube same as new. Never know what the previous owner did.
Wipe down, and run oiled patch through bore after shooting. Field strip, clean, and lube after a few firing sessions.
Carry guns, wipe down, clean bore with patch, lightly oil, and the clean patch through bore maybe once a month. Just to clear lint, and whatever other fuzz that sometimes accumulate.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 14, 2018, 10:38 PM   #12
Skippy

When needed or every couple hours, whichever comes first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old March 14, 2018, 10:56 PM   #13
Damon555

The actions and outsides get cleaned and lubed every few range trips.....the inside of the barrel?....almost never.
Old March 15, 2018, 03:00 AM   #14
tallball

Every range trip, unless I barely shoot it. Fifty rounds and I will clean it for sure. And yeah, I clean em when I get one that's new, or new to me.
Old March 15, 2018, 07:01 AM   #15
In The Ten Ring

Cleaning is for squares. Just buy a new gun when the old one gets too dirty. LOL

It's best to clean any tool after every use.

Carry guns should be cleaned at least once a week I think, you pick up a lot of lint, especially with pocket carry.
Old March 15, 2018, 12:34 PM   #16
bassJAM1

I clean mine when I think they need it. That seems to be about every 1,000-2,000 rounds. The .22’s get cleaned more frequently, but they also probably have the most rounds sent through them between cleanings, closer to the 2,000 round mark. At that point a .22 actually does need cleaned or I risk getting jams. A centerfire handgun probably isn’t even close to needing cleaned at that point.

That being said, my guns do get their exterior wiped down with an oily rag after handling them, and my carry guns get disassembled about once a month to blow out any lint.
Old March 15, 2018, 01:10 PM   #17
Prndll

Inspection, clean, and lube after every range visit and nothing has gone more than three months without getting fired.
Old March 15, 2018, 03:12 PM   #18
gwpercle

Whenever they get dirty/shot or whenever I want to fondle them....cleaning is simply an excuse for fondling . Rubbing with a soft cloth and a few drops of lubricant to protect the finish is another good excuse .
How often....after a range trip of course and about every 3 to 4 months to make sure all is well.
Gary
Old March 15, 2018, 03:22 PM   #19
Eazyeach

I bathe once a month whether I need to or not.
Oh you were talking about guns. I try to clean mine after every range session unless it’s a gun I shoot a lot. Sadly I am very bad about remembering to clean them, but I always wipe them down before they go back in the safe.
Old March 15, 2018, 03:42 PM   #20
RickB

When I was shooting every weekend, and usually the same gun every weekend, I'd do a wipe-down of everything I could reach after each range trip, a field-strip cleaning every 1000 rounds, and a detail-strip, deep cleaning annually.
Guns that might not be shot again in the near future would get the field-strip cleaning after each use.
Guns that hadn't been shot at all still get an annual field-strip cleaning.

I have some guns that belonged to my dad that I've never fired, but which have had 30 annual cleanings.
Old March 15, 2018, 03:59 PM   #21
zipspyder

Whenever I feel like it...
Old March 15, 2018, 05:03 PM   #22
Hal

Since I can't shoot anywhere but at a range --unlike you lucky dogs that can step out your back door and have at it - when I buy a new gun, I have to diddle around with it and cleaning it gives me the perfect excuse.

Once the newness is gone, I clean, lube and inspect a gun every time I shoot it.

I ruined a could of real nice guns by not giving them a proper cleaning.
Pity -but- the rust on them is a reminder I have nobody to blame but myself.

Ii really don't give a rolling one what others do. They buy their guns and I buy mine.
Old March 15, 2018, 07:47 PM   #23
Zen Archery

New - push patches through get rid of any manufacturers residue. You’d be surprised how much they leave in the barrel.
Then I just start shooting.
Went 700 rounds with my .264/6.5 before it lost accuracy.
I’ve had my .223/5.56 for 3 years. I’ve yet to clean it but I have less than 300 rounds down the pipe burning Varget.
My precision rifle. Builder told me to clean every 400-500 rounds.
Old March 15, 2018, 08:00 PM   #24
Johnny B

I have a friend in his 60s that swears up and down that there is such a thing as too much cleaning, and that the result is premature wear. He does not generally clean his guns unless they start to malfunction. Despite his decade's more experience, he and I disagree on that point.

For me, carry guns get taken apart and lint blown out every month or two, drop of oil if it seems dry. All pistols get cleaned and lubed when shot, although I'll admit I've skipped that a handful of times if I knew that I was going back to the range within a couple weeks or if I only ran a mag or two through it.

Long guns that I essentially never shoot, I'd say once a year or so if they haven't been shot, otherwise after a range trip.
Old March 15, 2018, 10:55 PM   #25
kymasabe

Well, my Ruger 10/22 rifle gets cleaned about every 1000 rounds or so, give or take a few hundred. My shotguns get a quick cleaning after every range visit and a good thorough cleaning about once a year. My handguns however get cleaned after every range trip, regardless of how many round went down the pipe. ALL new (and new to me) guns get thorough cleaning before going to the range, I'm always amazed by how much crap is left behind after manufacturing. And my carry guns get the most attention, used on range at least one a month, cleaned at least once a month, and at least once a year they get total tear down, disassemble the slide, pull the firing pin, extractor, everything.