The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 17, 2018, 07:26 PM   #1
GTNMUDY

MOA VS MRAD scope

I placed a order with Vortex for a Viper PST, 5-25X50, FFP, MOA. After a 4 month wait I find a Vortex scope delivered today. I was jumping for joy until I noticed it was a MRAD reticle. They shipped me the wrong scope. Called Vortex and was advised that it was there error but the MOA reticle is still another 4 month wait. So do I keep it or send it back? After reading the differances between MOA and MRAD is like SAE and Metric wrenches. Both will do the same but only with different math.

Which is better?

Going on a 308, long range shooting is the plan.
Old April 18, 2018, 02:31 AM   #2
PlatinumCore16

All depends on what you're used to/what you want to invest time in. I like the simplicity of milliradians. However my range gives the target ranges in yards and meters, so it's not a big deal for me. If you get down into the nitty gritty, minutes of angle scope adjustments (usually 1/4 of a minute for most Scopes, especially for long range use) will give a finer tuning adjustment over 1/10 mil rads (comparable scope adjustment interval for an MRAD scope). It's not by much, so again, shoot what you're used to. If you have a spotter, you will want to match what they have for a spotting scope, aka spotter has an MOA spotting scope, use an MOA gun scope. Obviously this would only apply if you have a dedicated shooting buddy.
Old April 18, 2018, 07:32 AM   #3
GTNMUDY

Thanks. Since I now have the scope and don't want to wait another 4 months for the MOA to come in stock I'm going to keep it.

I have watched several videos on the MRAD and it seems like I need to think about it some before I get my head around it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old April 18, 2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Rangerrich99

i got my first milrad scope (also a Vortex) early last year. Once I figured out how to use it, it's been great. Last fall I shot a prairie dog at 454 yards on the first shot. Before I got that scope, I'd probably have had to walk at least 4-5 shots into that p-dog.

Mildot Master made understanding how to properly use my milrad scope pretty straight forward. Here's the link to their site. I got mine from Amazon, but I bet you can get it other places as well.

http://www.mildot.com/
Old April 18, 2018, 05:50 PM   #5
GTNMUDY

Interesting device. Found it on Ebay also.

i assume that any caliber bullet will work with this chart assuming you know the velocity and weight.
Old April 18, 2018, 05:55 PM   #6
Rangerrich99

Yes. You do have to figure out your ballistics of your bullet to use the right-hand side of the slide rule. Fortunately for me, I found that my bullets performed almost exactly with the ballistics chart in the back of my Nosler reloading handbook.
Old April 18, 2018, 06:53 PM   #7
GTNMUDY

I have a Crono so getting muzzle velocity is not a issue.

Do you just need the muzzle velocity?
Old April 18, 2018, 07:17 PM   #8
Rangerrich99

Technically, I think you need both muzzle velocity and the bullet's ballistic coefficient, so that you can deduce the bullet's drop. This is done using a ballistic calculator (at least that's how I did it); there are several online calculators. You should do some actual shooting out to at least 400 yards (or farther, depending on how far you are likely to shoot) to verify your calculated results. Once your calculations have been verified, using the Mildot Master is pretty easy.
Old April 18, 2018, 07:21 PM   #9
GTNMUDY

I reload so getting the data is not a issue.

Thanks for the info.

Think I will get one.