The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2017, 08:58 AM   #1
NateKirk

CZ Shotguns opinions

Howdy all,

Been thinking of getting a new shotgun as an upgrade to the old 870 I've been using for years. I'm a CZ fan and was thinking of picking up one of their side by sides in the $1000-1500 range. Anyone have any experience with them, or heard anything? Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old January 28, 2017, 09:03 AM   #2
FITASC

As long as you realize they are not made by CZ, but in Turkey, and have no issue with that, they make a decent gun (Huglu). AKUS is another Turkish maker who makes IMO, a better gun (Cabela's Dickinson). AKUS previously made the S&W Elite Gold and Kimber sidelock.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 28, 2017, 10:49 PM   #3
bn12gg

OP "heard anything" ? Their regulation is hit or miss. How true ? I go with a Browning 12g BSS.
I've handled the CZ side by sides and OU and find them very attractive. I like the coined receivers a bunch..

David.
Old January 28, 2017, 10:56 PM   #4
reynolds357

NateKirk, I will preface this by saying I am an absolute CZ pistol fan. I have several of them and shoot a custom 75 built by Angus Hobdell in competition. I love their rifles. I have a few very fine CZ hunting rifles. Having said that, my opinion is that CZ shotguns have extreme quality control issues. It is my opinion your chances of getting a bad one are highly likely. I am actually shocked CZ has not stepped up the quality of their shotgun program.
Old January 29, 2017, 09:21 AM   #5
FITASC

CZ does not make them; they are built to sell at a certain price point. If you want cheap, you get cheap. If you want better, you pay for better. For many on this forum, a cheap SxS gun that looks good and will only be fired a few times a year is acceptable. For others, it is not.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 31, 2017, 08:56 AM   #6
98 220 swift

I have a CZ SXS. I have had it almost 10 years now. It has worked flawless with no problems but I really have not shot it very much. A few 100 rounds to maybe 500 rounds total. I have not shot it in years. It is a nice looking gun and has no issues. I am happy with it.
Old February 2, 2017, 04:19 PM   #7
stuckinthe60s

cz's are a low volume gun.
if you plan on 5-6-7000 rounds a year in one, I think you could do better.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old February 2, 2017, 05:11 PM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
cz's are a low volume gun.
if you plan on 5-6-7000 rounds a year in one, I think you could do better.
You will NEED to do better................ As I said earlier, for the guy who goes out a few times a year for dove or similar, they should do just fine. If you are someone who shoots a lot - whether at clay or feather - you will need something better. Unfortunately, in the SxS arena, things don't get there until maybe the discontinued SKBs from Japan, the Browning BSS or similar.
Old February 3, 2017, 05:05 AM   #9
dreaming

Quote:
I have a CZ SXS. I have had it almost 10 years now. It has worked flawless with no problems but I really have not shot it very much. A few 100 rounds to maybe 500 rounds total. I have not shot it in years. It is a nice looking gun and has no issues. I am happy with it.
I have had a Browning Citori XS Skeet just over 5 years and it has about 30,000 rounds. It is just broken in and has yet to even have a firing pin replaced.
Old February 3, 2017, 06:15 PM   #10
Rifletom

Post's #5 and 8 is the answer here. Give it some thought.