The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 31, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
monkeyfist

9mm Ammo going to get cheaper or not?

I'm new to handguns. I hope to get my permit soon. I'm most likely going to go with 9mm for my first gun. Are the ammo prices about where they used to be, or are they much higher? It seems somewhat expensive to me, but I have no clue.

If it is more expensive, does anybody expect it to get cheaper any time soon? Are people still stockpiling because of recent events?
Old July 31, 2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Jim Watson

In my opinion.
Prices are still higher than they were before the Panic following the election and high profile murders.
I think they will come down some, but we have been trained to pay more.
I do not expect a return to 2012 pricing.

Availability will improve but slower than most expect. I don't think things had fully recovered from the 2009 Panic.
Old July 31, 2013, 09:25 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

With the world-wide demand for copper, brass, and lead at all time highs and the current out of sight demand for ammo, it is doubtful that it will return to some mythical low price. It is what it is and right now is about as good as it gets............. Buy in bulk, learn to reload and don't get caught short next time
Old July 31, 2013, 10:02 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

I figure it will take a year or more for prices to relax all the way back down across the board. That said, I know at least one local shop that has practice 9mm in stock with no purchase limits for $15 a box of 50. That's not great, but it's not really that far out of line from what I would have expected last year about this time from local gun store ammo prices.
Old August 1, 2013, 03:07 AM   #5
blitztech

Re: 9mm Ammo going to get cheaper or not?

Depending on various factors it costs me between ¢.12-.¢16 a round to reload and I'm pretty new to reloading. Not being able to buy it forced me in to the hobby, but now I'm addicted to it. I used to pay about $16 for a 50 rd Winchester white box. Now they sell for $23-27. I doubt prices will ever drop below $20 again.
Old August 1, 2013, 03:11 AM   #6
Chowder

Quote:
That said, I know at least one local shop that has practice 9mm in stock with no purchase limits for $15 a box of 50.
Wow that gives me some hope. In Alaska we are still paying pretty high. I just paid 22 a box for blazer brass. Ammo prices were always a tad higher up here like everything else but there are still limits on 9mm and .223.
Old August 1, 2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Several weeks ago, I spotted Federal brass-cased FMJ for $11.97/box of 50. I'm not convinced that we'll ever see mid-2012 prices again, but the panic prices will come down some.
Old August 1, 2013, 06:25 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Ammo prices will come back down but they won't come down to 2012 levels.

It also appears to ammo is starting to become available again. I hope nothing causes another panic rush any time soon.
Old August 1, 2013, 08:09 AM   #9
amd6547

I was in my favorite LGS this week, hoping for some bargain 9mm for a upcoming range trip.
They had plenty of Blazer Brass and American Eagle 147gn FMJ...they had stacks of both on the shelf and stacks of cases on the floor...
$19.99 a box...with a sign saying "we're all in this together...single box limit on 9mm".
So, no shortage of ammo and no shortage of high prices. I think I was paying $9.99 for the same ammo last year.
I left without buying.
Old August 1, 2013, 12:47 PM   #10
BigJimP

In the greater Seattle area....9mm range ammo is about $ 18 for a box of 50 rds ( 115 gr RN FMJ )....you can do a little better if you buy in case lots at the bigger gun shows in the area...

....and components prices and availability today are making it about $ 8 for a box of 50 rds ( 115 gr FMJ RN 9mm).....
---------------
As long as demand stays up ....I don't see it coming down much more on retail ammo.../ but I do think the hoarders have run out of money -- and the "profiteers" got burned a little buying everything they could find at inflated prices....
----------------
I reload all of my handgun ammo....so it hasn't really been an issue for me ...and while primers and bullets are up in price - in my area, they've been readily available now for the last couple of months in case lots ( 4,000 bullets to a case of 9mm 115 gr Montana Gold ) ...and 5,000 CCI small pistol primers to a case. I've been able to pick up both bullets and primers in the last couple of months.
Old August 1, 2013, 02:07 PM   #11
SauerGrapes

Quote:
I reload all of my handgun ammo....so it hasn't really been an issue for me
I do too. It's the 22cal ammo that's killing me.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old August 1, 2013, 02:19 PM   #12
BigJimP

Well, at a cost of actually $ 7.15 for 50 rds of 9mm reloads.....its almost less expensive to shoot 9mm than it is to buy high grade target .22 ammo like CCI Mini Mag anyway.....

and I'd much rather shoot a 9mm for practice / than a .22...
-------------
I'm heading to my local range today with a 1911 in 9mm (a 5" Wilson Combat gun) that I practice with a lot ( and 4 boxes of 9mm ) .....and a S&W model 27 in a 4" (.357 mag) and a Freedom Arms premier grade, large frame, 4 3/4" barrel in .357 mag.....and 4 boxes of .357 mag...so call it about $ 29 for 4 boxes of 9mm / and about $ 33 for 4 boxes of .357 mag ( $8.25 per box )....

so.....for about $ 60, I'm going to be able to have a great time at the range..../ running some tactical drills with one of my 1911's and one of my better revolvers...and doing some bulls eye practice with the single action.../ how can it not be fun ??? ,,,,( and my press easily puts out 15 - 20 boxes an hour ...so its no big deal to do it twice a week !! ).
Old August 1, 2013, 02:21 PM   #13
aarondhgraham

Just yesterday and today,,,

Just yesterday and today,,,
I bought Tulammo in 9mm and 380,,,
The 9mm was $9.97/50 and the 380 was $14.97/50,,,
This was at Wal Mart and is what they charged before the shortage.

At least I think it's what it was before Obummer's re-election.

A friend of mine went there a few days ago,,,
It was in the afternoon and he bought three 550 round Federal bulk packs,,,
I remember buying the last ones I got for $18.9? and he paid $20.9? for his bulk packs.

He said there were at least a dozen bulk packs,,,
But this Wal Mart restricts you to three boxes total per day.

By the time I got there after work they had all been purchased,,,
So I got my three boxes of Tulammo 9mm and went home.

Maybe the afternoon sighting is a sign of an easing up of the shortages.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 1, 2013, 03:50 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

I doubt the factory price of U.S. made ammo will drop significantly, but the retail price may, as dealers begin to get more shipments and the normal effect of competition takes over. If Joe's Gun Shop has the only 9mm in town, Joe can charge what he wants and probably get it. But when all the dealers have as much 9mm as they can sell, Joe can't keep charging high prices. I just hope that when the shortage is over, Joe's customers remember how he gouged them and act accordingly.

Jim
Old August 1, 2013, 04:33 PM   #15
P5 Guy

Back to "Normal"

When I got a 9mm and started shooting a box of 50 124gr FMJ ran between $6.50/$7.00 a box or less in bulk. The last 9mm I bought a few weeks ago was $19.00 for a box of 50 GECO 124gr FMJ.
Where does the "Norm" lie?
Old August 1, 2013, 04:34 PM   #16
Inazone

When a person needs ammo, availability trumps price, so from what I've seen, most folks looking for range ammo are willing to pay a couple bucks more per box, leaving the "panic" buyers to pay top dollar at places like Gander Mountain where 2012 sale prices were on par with other retailers' regular prices. Cabela's has been getting 9mm FMJ on a fairly regular basis recently, and it sells out quickly at $13-15 per 50 rounds, so while I'd rather see the $10/box sale prices of a year ago, regular price isn't that far off at those stores and websites whose prices were reasonable last year.

Although I haven't looked for 9mm at a Wal-mart in the past couple of months, the last time I checked, the price tag on the empty shelf still showed $11.97 for Federal 115gr FMJ, which is what I believe they've charged for quite some time. However, the last two times I've found 9mm in stock, it has been $13 (Fiocchi) and $14 (Aguila) per 50 rounds.
Old August 1, 2013, 07:22 PM   #17
fire4606

I've been buying federal 100 round bulk packs all summer at Walmart for $22 a box...
Old August 1, 2013, 07:39 PM   #18
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I just hope that when the shortage is over, Joe's customers remember how he gouged them and act accordingly.
OH, fer Chris'sake - now the mods are in on this mythical "gouging" BS? It absolutely amazes me how uninformed and uneducated folks are regarding this............

OK, one more time - WATCH THE VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9QEkw6_O6w

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GOUGING IF YOU WILLINGLY PAY THE ASKING PRICE OF THE SELLER, NO MATTER WHAT THE GOODS ARE; CONVERSELY, IF YOU DID NOT PAY IT, YOU DID NOT GET "GOUGED".....
Old August 2, 2013, 08:23 AM   #19
Fixed Sight Training

Quote:
I just hope that when the shortage is over, Joe's customers remember how he gouged them and act accordingly.

OH, fer Chris'sake - now the mods are in on this mythical "gouging" BS? It absolutely amazes me how uninformed and uneducated folks are regarding this............
Price gouging should not be illegal but loyalty goes two ways. There is a local ammo manufacturer here in my hometown to whom I sent a lot of business. When I called them and told them I was thinking about providing ammo at my pistol class they quoted me 90 cent per round for 9mm ball. $900/ 1k.

Now I send people to Walmart. When this run on ammo started they said they would only raise prices 1$ / box and they stuck to it.

BTW I didn't raise the price my CCW pistol classes when there was a rush to get CCWs.

Last edited by Fixed Sight Training; August 2, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old August 2, 2013, 09:11 AM   #20
iraiam

Quote:
OH, fer Chris'sake - now the mods are in on this mythical "gouging" BS?
Price gouging is not mythical, even the video in the link uses the term "price gouging" throughout, they were simply advocating that it should not be illegal, and I would agree, it should not be illegal.

There are some LGS that I will no longer even set foot in any longer simply because of the ridiculous pricing I have seen in their stores, the reason they had a lot of ammo on their shelves is because very few people were willing to pay their prices. I literally went a few miles away, to more reputable businesses and bought ammunition at "normal" prices.

I have not been "gouged" by anyone because I simply took my business elsewhere, with prejudice!

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old August 2, 2013, 09:26 AM   #21
BigD_in_FL

They use the term because they are showing how it dies not exist, watch it again. There is no such thing as gouging - you either willingly pay the asking price because you believe the item has a value you are willing to trade money for, or you don't and walk away
Old August 2, 2013, 09:37 AM   #22
osirus82

gouging happens and its chit- and im sure it comes back to those asshats too, like karma, I know i laugh my ass off when i see some D!ck get pulled over after he speeds past like a maniac and i wouldn't stop to help change a tire either.

Gouging is a cheap lesson in life as who not to deal with if you dont have to. I choose not to do business with lots of people because of their personal choices.
Old August 2, 2013, 09:38 AM   #23
seeker_two

9mm prices will go down some, but I don't think it will ever return to pre-Obama levels. In fact, I think 9mm and .40S&W will be equal in price from here on.
Old August 2, 2013, 10:14 AM   #24
Mike38

Quote:
BigD in FL wrote:
OH, fer Chris'sake - now the mods are in on this mythical "gouging" BS?
May I ask a serious question BigD?

Let’s say Joe’s Gun Shop bought WWB 9mm ammo in 2010 for $6 a box, and put it on his shelf for $10. Fair price, fair mark up at 60%. Joe can keep his doors open, pay his bills at home and feed his family. Good for Joe.

In 2013 Joe’s Gun Shop buys WWB 9mm ammo for $10 (inflation plays it’s role) then puts it on the shelf for $30. Mark up of 300%. Was 60% now 300%.

What would us “Commoners” call what Joe is doing? Gouging!

My local Walmart sold WWB 9mm in 2010 for $10. They are selling it now for $15. The very same ammo, might even be the very same lot number as the ammo at Joe’s. Walmart is making a profit, otherwise they wouldn’t be selling it.

What would us “Commoners” call what Joe is doing? Gouging!

May not be a 100% correct term, but it’s fitting.

*Be advised that Joe’s Gun Shop is a mythical title used for dramatization. If there is a Joe’s Gun Shop out there, no harm intended. No one named Joe was injured during the filming of this documentary.
Old August 2, 2013, 03:25 PM   #25
Mike38

I just walked in the door back home from a visit to my local gun shop. Big sign out front of it, “Plenty of ammo in stock”. First thing I noticed (because my Saiga loves it) was Wolf steel cased 62 grain FMJ in .223. The shop was asking $25 per box of 20. Ammoman.com has the exact same stuff for $9.20 per box of 20, I know because I just checked.

Is that price gouging? Heck I don’t know what you’d call it. I guess saying or typing the words “price gouging” is quicker then typing “That guy is immoral, unethical, bad businessman, a crook and a thief…….

I hate to see a gun shop close up from lack of business, but I would not shed a tear if this one closes.
Closed Thread