The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 3, 2013, 08:31 PM   #1
[email protected]

Need some help I.D. Mauser

I have had a few Mausers,(k-98 model) this one looked so good I had to get it.
However there are no markings on it. Black Bolt and receiver black barrel
coming out of the forearm.
The wood is dark and has been varnished. The serial numbers are on the receiver, Bolt, wood below the receiver and the bottom of the receiver serial # 4802; there is a very light "PW" under the serial # on the left side of the receiver. It has the correct sling,it's taught, the brass is green and the leather is old. Inside the receiver on the top spring is a 3 pedal crown on top of a shape like Idaho. Very Small. The barrel is clean for an old rifle, light pitting in the grooves probably 5 right hand twists per foot
Inside the side sling hanger is a very small sorta butterfly very tiny.
That's it. I have no idea what caliber could be an 8mm???? without taking a wax impression I have no idea of the caliber. could be one of 2 an 8x57.
I have never seen a rifle with only serial numbers. It must be a civilian model I am guessing.
It is collector grade, thats what drew me to it but it's not telling me any more.
I thought some collectors might recognize the description. I hope anyway.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:35 PM   #2
scrubcedar

We will probably need pictures to be able to help.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:33 PM   #4
scrubcedar

The photographs are coming up almost thumbnail size and that makes it tough. It looks like the stock is slotted for a sling farther back than k98's. Can we get a better look at the receiver where the crest should be? I'm not surprised you're stumped I am a little too.

Last edited by scrubcedar; February 4, 2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:49 AM   #5
Scorch

Well, first off, it isn't a K98. Wrong handguard, and the bolt handle is straight. Without some sort of markings, it is just a military M98 Mauser made at an unidentified facility. No proofs shown, can't even guess at the provenance. If you want an idea of what it is, show proofs, show some pictures that don't make it look like a Matchbox model, and do a chamber cast so you know what the rifle is chambered for.

FWIW, Mauser 98s were the most desirable and common military rifle of the first half of the 20th Century. Every army on the planet wanted them, and the various manufacturers made hundreds of variations on the basic theme.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:53 AM   #6
jonnyc

Need pics of the markings. My first money is on a Yugoslav variation.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:02 AM   #7
F. Guffey

OB as in without markings.

F. Guffey
Old February 4, 2013, 11:44 AM   #8
dieselbeef

whats the best place to get id on a mauser..i have a very well worn one thats got the 1938 date stamped on the reciever. a cpl other numbers..a mag that is more of a cover over the btm of the rds after its loaded. kind of snaps onto the btm...

its very well worn..as if an atual war weapon...the stories it must hold

any help would be great

thanks

gary
Old February 4, 2013, 12:37 PM   #9
[email protected]

only serial#s no proof-marks

https://plus.google.com/photos/11440...CL6d2pHovvzVaQ

this is a link to an album of the mauser with serial #s and nothing (proof-marks, dates) hopefully it will help.
Pinning down the date would be nice.
Click on a picture to enlarge it.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Scorch

OK, better. Looks to me like an unmarked (BO), "scrubbed" or "sanitized" M24 or M27, but someone with more knowledge about these may chime in. M24s were built on standard-length FN actions, M27s were intermediate-length actions supplied by Poland. Measuring will tell you which you have.

FWIW, Yugoslavia was a prime arms supplier to middle East nations until the 1950s when the USSR and US started supplying autoloading rifles to mid-east countries. Many of these unmarked rifles were supplied either directly or indirectly to rebel forces around the world well into the 1960s. Their effectiveness can be attested to by the prolonged French military involvement in French Indochina, Algeria, Morocco, and other former colonies.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:30 PM   #11
dieselbeef

mine doesnt look like that ..diff stock. it doesnt havethe knob or bolt or whatever in front of the sling att in the rear stock.
te forestk is diff too. and the sights and mine has something that is curved and sticks out along the barrel at the muzzle like a bayonet att lug or something but doesnt look strong enough for that
Old February 4, 2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Scorch

dieselbeef-
if you want to ID your rifle, start a new thread, post pics of the rifle, and you will get an answer.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:36 PM   #13
dieselbeef

10-4..didnt mean to step on anyones toes...
Old February 4, 2013, 01:47 PM   #14
scrubcedar

Somebody check me on this, but doesn't the stock look Polish? The slot for the sling is in the right place near the butt of the rifle. The divot for the bent bolt the Polish had is in the right spot. The action, without crest, is a dead ringer for the Czech action, but I found this example of a Pole without a bent bolt that looks the same too. http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...nish-Civil-War
Notice the lack of a crest on this one too.
The guy who had this one said he found Polish proof-marks when he removed the stock, can you remove the stock without damaging it?
Scorch, do you know if the action length difference between the two was small enough to be able to force/alter a Polish stock onto a Czech action?
Old February 5, 2013, 09:18 AM   #15
jonnyc

That front sight doesn't look Yugo.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:33 PM   #16
[email protected]

proof marks

I had some computer trouble and I had to soak the top meteal bands in Kroil for a couple days to finally get the band off. The gentleman that suggested looking under the wood was right on. I found 9 all the same size in a row near the receiver top barrel side. I have the books Gunmarks by Byron 3rd edition.
The standard directory of proof marks with German WWII German ordinance codes and The official guide of gun marks and some other books that usually help. I could find no marks shown in the main 3 books for any of the 9 proofs.

I will describe to the best of my ability in case someone recognizes them
The first is an egg shape with 2 curved lines dividing the oblong into 3 sections.
The second, picture an intersection 4 V's arranged so it looks like a 4 way stop crossroads. Then the round part of a curve attached in the middle by an exact
other curve and a straight line vertically through the middle. Then ther are 2 Omega signs after them is a squared block style capital G. Then a horizontal line intercepting the top middle of a circle followed by another just alike. The last one is another crossroads showing the center of an intersection; 4 v's making a crossroads.
As I say there was not one in my books. If no one recognizes them I could go to littleguns.be ; a Belgian website with contributors all over Europe and West
who come together helping (contributing) with Identifying mystifying firearms. The .be is Belgium, Liege to be specific. It's worth a look just to see the guy that runs it, his collection of firearms. If any one recognizes any or all of the marks it would save a few days time, not that I am in any hurry but by the time I post on littleguns.be peoples suggestions from all over Europe can take awhile and not everyone always agrees, but it's interesting and it is translated to English.
Thanks for all your help. I am still not quite sure I understand what the term
BO means in an earlier piece of advice.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:37 PM   #17
[email protected]

oh Yugo

Speaking of Yugoslavian. I could not find any of their proof marks.
It is a puzzle. Anyone have an idea of value for a U.S. Springfield 1903,
All matching numbers, Bayonet and cover approximately 18 inches with metal
scabbard covered in canvas. Manufacture date July 1917 . 30.06 caliber
Old February 9, 2013, 12:29 AM   #18
ronl

M-35 Belgian.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:32 AM   #19
scrubcedar

Mike you are now completely out of my depth in terms of proof marks.
There were Greek Mauser's (the omega signs) but they look nothing like yours.
If you want to know the value on your Springfield post another thread, no one will know to look under this one.
I'm glad we were at least able to find some of the answers for you and appreciate the challenge
You are sure welcome to post all of your questions about these type of mysteries here.
Welcome to the community my friend, we're always here to help you waste a little time.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:49 AM   #20
scrubcedar

I forgot, have you tried these guys? http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...y-Mauser-Forum

Tags
bolt action , rifle , wwii