The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old September 5, 2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Dr_Rich

Dishonorable Discharges

About 10 years ago, a buddy of mine got a dishonorable discharge from the marines after making a comment about 'friendly fire' in regards to his SO.

A few months ago me and a few guys were talking about guns and what each of us have and would like to get. Just the usual gun talk stuff. Then "Sid" joins us and is talking about how he wants to get a gun.

This got me wondering. Could he even own a firearm? On the 4473 form, question 11g: Have you been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions?

Since he has to answer yes, and for those reasons, would that cause a problem for him?
Old September 5, 2012, 08:13 AM   #2
krucam

Seems pretty severe for just a "comment". Is he sure it is a Dishonorable? That would have required a General Court Martial.

USMJ discharges, in order of favorable to worst, is:
Administrative
- Honorable
- General
- Other than Honorable
Punitive
- Bad Conduct Discharge
- Dishonorable Discharge

Of these, only a Dishonorable Discharge acts as a prohibitor for firearms possession.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Dr_Rich

Yes. From what his (at the time) wife told me, he didn't get along with any of his SOs. He's got a way of ******* people off at times. He also likes to blame the world for his problems. So I can see that happening.

Thats some good info though. I'll have to do some more digging on my end and find out for sure.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Doyle

I'm betting he didn't get a DD (at least not for that)- probably an OTH. A DD requires a Court Martial. A Court Martial is an expensive affair - the military isn't going to waste that kind of resources on something like improper comments. They would just do a "bottom flush" and be done with the guy.
Old September 5, 2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Dr_Rich

lol well, I guess his wife must have been mad at him that day. I just asked him and he said General under Honorable conditions.