The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 28, 2012, 05:52 PM   #1
1Solo

Help Please

I'm looking to buy my first shotgun and I had several picked out. My favorite and the one I was more comfortable with was the Benelli Nova Pump. I was also looking at the 870 and 887 from Remington.
I was just wondering how versatile the Benelli Nova Pump is. I'm looking to duck/pheasant hunt but I was wondering if the Nova Pump could be used to hunt deer..
Old May 29, 2012, 01:45 AM   #2
zippy13

Greetings 1Solo, and welcome aboard.

With various finishes and barrels available, the Nova gives you a great deal of flexibility for your intended uses. But, it's not as versatile as a shotgun with a changeable stock. Remember, the Nova combines the stock and receiver in a single unit, so if you decide to go pistol-grip mall ninja, you'll be out of luck.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:51 AM   #3
CK_32

I don't know ish about shotguns but I've been shopping for one and I've been told the 887s are junk don't bother. Also pickin up a 870 my self great shotguns.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:04 AM   #4
1Solo

Honestly, I dont really want to customize it with pistol grips or anything like that. I basically want to use it for hunting. I was just wondering if I can use the gun for deer as well as duck/pheasant without changing the barrel or any other components. So basically, the way it comes out of the box.

Thanks.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Slugo

personally, I would also give a serious look at a Browning BPS pump. Short throw action, bottom eject and much better fit and finish...
Old May 29, 2012, 08:33 AM   #6
rbernie

The 870 Express is a solid choice that will work well and for which accessories are readily available (e.g deer barrels) but which also has a lesser quality of finish than other options. The BPS is a real step up in terms of finish quality, but I find them heavy and not as lively in comparison to the 870. The Nova and Supernova are terrific values, with features that most cannot provide in the same price range (e.g. chrome lined barrels) but accessories for them are going to be on the expensive side. The Mossberg 500 is also a solid gun that is well supported in the aftermarket, but I tend to find them clunky and not to my taste.

My choice for a first pump gun is usually an 870, especially for field use, but I'm quite partial to the SuperNova as well. If you're going to want both upland game and deer, then availability and cost of a second barrel ought to be factored in to the decision.

You can hunt deer with a 28" barrel with beads, but you will find it a lot easier to carry and more accurate if you get a dedicated 24" rifle sighted deer barrel.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:48 AM   #7
BigJimP

Nothing wrong with the Nova pump guns ....and in my opinion ....any pump gun with a 28" barrel and changeable screw in chokes...is a good all around gun ...for hunting birds, clay targets, etc.

I've never hunted deer with a shotgun ...it was always a high powered rifle for me on big game...but there is a variety of ammo out there ...for deer with a shotgun for smooth bores and rifled bores / but no reason not to go with a Nova...or a Browning BPS Hunter model, etc...if it fits you / and that's what you want.
Old June 2, 2012, 01:40 AM   #8
1Solo

Ok I decided on the Benelli Nova, then someone told me about a Stoeger P-350. Anyone have any input on the differences? I know they are made by the same company.
I can get a P-350 in Camo for the price of a Benelli in Synthetic. I just want any input you guys have on the P350. Is it a solid gun? Should I not be a cheap-ass and just get the Benelli that I decided on?

This is for Waterfowl

Last edited by 1Solo; June 2, 2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old June 2, 2012, 02:41 AM   #9
CK_32

Stay 870 if your going Remington. All the reviews on the 887s seem to be cheaper compared to the 870/590s
Old June 2, 2012, 02:46 AM   #10
TheKlawMan

The Nova has a good reputation, but how likely is it that you want to change barrels as rbernie mentioned?
Old June 2, 2012, 02:50 AM   #11
1Solo

Don't really want to change barrels at all. 887 is OUT, 870 is ALMOST out of the question. I really like the Nova but like I said, someone mentioned the P350 and I was just inquiring about that.
Old June 2, 2012, 09:06 AM   #12
rbernie

The Stoeger is a copy of the Benelli but is made in a different factory. For the same approximate price, the Benelli is the clear choice...
Old June 2, 2012, 10:43 AM   #13
PetahW

I would advise staying as far away from the Stoeger as possible, & buy the Nova as a low-maintainence shooter.

While the 870 is a "better" gun, it's somewhat higher maintainence, due to the metallic receiver & wood (on some models) stocks.

IIRC, while a Benelli clone, the Stoeger is made in Turkey (but I may be in error)

Old June 2, 2012, 01:21 PM   #14
1Solo

Thanks for all the reply's. Im going with a Benelli Nova.