The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2012, 06:50 AM   #1
810wmb

Need An OAL For Widener's 9mm Cast Bullets

the title says it all. i have always used the truncated cone bullets, but these are flat nosed. any help would be appreciated!

link below

9MM 122GR TC SEMI WADCUTTER Cast Bullets

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...|281|1084|1128
Old January 24, 2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Adamantium

Maybe someone who uses that bullet will drop in and tell you their OAL but here is some "teach a man to fish" type advice. Accurate's manual says it best,

SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”
It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a
guideline only.
The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.
This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as 1) magazine length (space), 2) freebore-lead dimensions of the barrel, 3)
ogive or profile of the projectile and 4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.

So even if someone came by and told you what they use it doesn't mean it will work for your gun, over even be best for your gun. I would recommend finding the maximum length OAL your gun will chamber, the maximum length your magazine will hold and the maximum length that will feed reliably and go with the shortest of the three. With a SWC bullet it will most likely be shorter than what you will find in reloading manuals for a RN bullet of the same weight.
Old January 24, 2012, 10:45 AM   #3
810wmb

thanks for the reply

i do realize that oal varies, i was just looking for a starting point.

i will take the advice though, appreciate it.
Old January 24, 2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

As a starting point, try seating so the front edge of the bullet bearing surface (the full width cylindrical portion of the bullet) is protruding about .020" to .050" forward of the case mouth.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle