The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 9, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1
dewcrew8

broken screw on super blackhawk hunter

does any one know how long the screw is for the ejector rod housing . I was shooting it and the screw broke off flush as i shoot. i was going to drill and use a ezout but I dont know how long the screw is. the pistol is a 44 mag nickel
Old July 10, 2010, 08:05 AM   #2
GunCat

I don't have a Ruger handy to measure the screw right now, but you can do this:

Measure the outside diameter of the barrel near the broken screw. Subtract .430 (the inside bore diameter) from your measurement then divide that answer by 2. This will give you the barrel wall thickness.

(OD-ID) / 2 = Barrel wall thickness

Make sure you drill in less than the barrel wall thickness (other wise you'll have a nice hole in through the barrel)
Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue, and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps, and happy campfires.
Fred Bear 1902-1988
Old July 10, 2010, 09:29 AM   #3
dahermit

It is a dumb idea to try and fix it yourself. You may: 1. Damage the gun. 2. Make the screw even harder to extract by messing with it. If you have to ask how to remove the screw, you do not have the requisite skills to remove it without damage. And, after removing it, you will still have to contact Ruger to get another screw and they will frequently ask you to send the gun in for repair so that they can be assured that it is going to be repaired correctly.

Ruger has historically, one of the best service departments. They fix what they make. If they damage the barrel, they will replace it.

I they have fixed guns for me that I bought second hand (had no obligation to me), and "fixed" guns that I have lost parts from...without charge.

That is why it is a dumb idea to attempt to fix the broken screw yourself.
Old July 10, 2010, 10:06 AM   #4
PetahW

FWIW, It's entirely legal for any US citizen to ship & receive their own handgun to/from any gun factory/customizer/repaier facility (they are all FFL's) without going through an FFL on their end.

If you call Ruger's Customer Service, they may even send you a prepaid shipping carton...........................

You have zero to lose by asking them.