The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 20, 2008, 07:43 PM   #51
Ghost22

Hammer back on a empty chamber

I keep my 24" base model Mossberg hammer cocked on a empty chamber cased under the bed. The tube has 5 #4 birdshot shells. I not recommending birdshot to anyone else; my case is unique in the fact that the walls are sheetrock and thin in my appartment. I also have a Sig P6 9mm hammer down on a empty chamber (Corbon PowerBalls in the clip) in the nightstand.

Sorry, fully loaded pull-tigger-goes-off guns laying about goes against what I was taught as a kid. It took awhile for me to be comfortable with loaded clips. Again, not pressing others to follow my example, just how I was brought up.

And for my note on the "I need an arsenel of guns for protection" debate, I just press the guns I bought for other reasons into HD. The Sig was bought as a CCW, the Mossberg as a servicable shotgun that I didn't have to worry about scratching. I also purchased a S&W 686 as a first centerfire handgun and it rests with a speed loader nearby. What's $40 for a few boxes of expanding ammo on a working gun you already have?

Just my opinion
Old October 20, 2008, 09:14 PM   #52
Nnobby45

Quote:
Sorry, fully loaded pull-tigger-goes-off guns laying about goes against what I was taught as a kid. It took awhile for me to be comfortable with loaded clips. Again, not pressing others to follow my example, just how I was brought up.
What would you like your "pull trigger- goes off gun" to do when you pull the trigger?
Old October 22, 2008, 03:57 PM   #53
lockheed123

870, keep a dummy round in the chamber already fired off. This way you can just pump the slide and off you go.
Old October 22, 2008, 09:57 PM   #54
Nnobby45

Why the fired round?
Old October 22, 2008, 10:11 PM   #55
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Firing a round and leaving it so it is not dry fired. But I doubt a dry fire now and then wouldn't hurt a modern gun.
Brent
Old October 22, 2008, 10:14 PM   #56
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I choose to keep a loaded chamber so as not to have to rack the slide thus warning a home invader I am armed and headed his way.
Brent
Old October 22, 2008, 11:24 PM   #57
Mike U.

I'm with hogdogs.

If someone breaks into my home and I'm there, they are obviously intent on doing me great bodily harm or are capable and willing to do it. Otherwise, why would they B&E my home while my truck is out front indicating I am home?
I see no reason to give a warning as they didn't call ahead and schedule their break-in so why should I announce my intention of defending my life and limb?

Castle Doctrine, baby. Finally, a real common sense self defense law.

BTW, I pray every night I never get put into the position of having to fight for my life. Especially in my own home.
So, no libtards, I'm not a blood-thirsty wannabe killer awaiting my opportunity to kill some poor hapless criminal just doing his job.
Old October 23, 2008, 02:32 AM   #58
pinstripe

I keep my pardner pump 12 ga. in my bedroom closet with 5 in the magazine, the forearm pulled back with a cable lock through the receiver. The key to the lock is 2ft. away but completely out of sight. I like the idea of keeping it in the closet above the door. I think that I will start storing mine this way. I have a barrel lock on the upper right side of the closet doors to keep little kids out.
Old October 23, 2008, 12:13 PM   #59
FyredUp

Quote:
Mike U.: I'm with hogdogs.

If someone breaks into my home and I'm there, they are obviously intent on doing me great bodily harm or are capable and willing to do it. Otherwise, why would they B&E my home while my truck is out front indicating I am home?
I see no reason to give a warning as they didn't call ahead and schedule their break-in so why should I announce my intention of defending my life and limb?

What EXACTLY does this mean? Does it mean if you find someone in your home you are going to shoot them with no "Get on the floor I have a gun." Why can't you do that from a position of cover? One that allows you to keep your weapon trained on them and fire if need be.

Castle Doctrine, baby. Finally, a real common sense self defense law.

BTW, I pray every night I never get put into the position of having to fight for my life. Especially in my own home.
So, no libtards, I'm not a blood-thirsty wannabe killer awaiting my opportunity to kill some poor hapless criminal just doing his job.

If you are going to shoot without warning then what are you?
Do what ever you feel you need to. I am not telling you to change a thing. I am simply not going to just shoot someone just because they are there.
Old October 23, 2008, 01:16 PM   #60
Mike U.

Look FyredUp,

My opinion is mine. It is self explanatory and needs no further embellishment. So, don't even think about dragging me into the little tiff you and Katrina Guy are having. If you don't like my methods, fine, you are not required by law to follow my lead. Holing up in your bedroom with gun and phone is fine. It works for you. What I do works for me. End of story, end of conversation.
Old October 23, 2008, 01:27 PM   #61
FyredUp

Look Mike U. I am not asking you to change a thing. I am asking you to explain exactly what it means.

Does it mean:

1) You find someone in your house you shoot them and ask questions later?
2) You observe them and if you feel threatened you shoot them?
3) Something different?

I don't want to argue with you i want tyo understand what you mean.
Old October 23, 2008, 02:25 PM   #62
freakintoguns

5 3" deer slugs in the tube, nothin in the chamber and its under my bed where i can reach it. i live with my dear ole ma, and no kids in the house just her yappy dog.
Old October 23, 2008, 03:34 PM   #63
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I will tell you where I stand!
If anyone is willing to walk up the yard past 2 pickup trucks, one is my 4X4 full size, and my wife's 4 door sedan... stepping over 2 pairs of man size work boots to enter my home he has a plan for the "WHAT IF" scenario of being caught and cornered and I bet dollars to doughnuts they don't include shakin' hands and apologizing!
Anyone entering my home while it is occupied is a home invader and shall be treated as such!
I guarantee you that if he is caught here at night he will be found here in the mornin'! since I won't be engaging in conversation I will not have to listen to how he is just trying to feed his family! Nothing inside my home is gonna go far feeding anyone! I also know that I am at a bit of a physical disadvantage and ain't about to trade blows with a home invader! Last but not least I am positive that my home will be the last one he invades and won't have to worry about him finding some unarmed elderly person tomorrow night!
This thread has run it's course in the shotgun section and needs moved to the tactics and training section or just closed!
Brent
Old October 23, 2008, 03:48 PM   #64
FyredUp

hogdog...

So your tactic is shoot first and if he is able to respond ask questions later.

We disagree. However unlike some here who choose to tell me I am wrong because I don't agree with their tactics I will not tell you that. It is not what I would do, but hell I am not responsible for you or anyone else here.

I do wonder how shooting and killing an unarmed intruder who is not threatening you at that particular moment in time will play out in court though. Not that you would do this, but hopefully no one here is so stupid as to plant either a knife or a gun in the hands of the intruder. That my friends is an almost for sure one way trip to prison.
Old October 23, 2008, 03:53 PM   #65
FyredUp

coldfusion167:

I store mine unloaded with shells available. IF I lived in a high crime area I would have it close by with the tube loaded with an empty chamber.

Right now, in my circumstances, if I needed an immediate firearm I would go for my 45 and pop a magazine in it and rack the slide.

Sorry for being part of the ride off track on your topic.
Old October 23, 2008, 05:04 PM   #66
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Simply being in my home is going to be a HOME INVADER capable of inflicting severe harm or death on me or loved ones! I have knives sharp as all get out on the counter and I do not know if he has his own or one of mine! I am in a castle doctrine state that says I do not have to being cowering in a corner to defend myself against ANY intruder of my occupied dwelling!
Stay Out... Stay Alive...
Brent
Old October 23, 2008, 06:02 PM   #67
FyredUp

hogdog...

As I said I won't tell you you are wrong. But neither do I appreciate others telling me my choice is wrong.

Stay safe and let's hope neither one of us ever faces this circumstance.
Old October 23, 2008, 06:15 PM   #68
SR420

Quote:
Do you keep some shells by your side?
Some in the gun?
Not loaded?
Some in the magazine?
Fully loaded with a mix of slugs and 000.

Once the perp is identified all I need to do is aim, push the safety button and squeeze the trigger.
Old October 23, 2008, 06:41 PM   #69
Webleymkv

Remington 870 propped up behind the bedroom door. 4 in the mag +1 in the chamber safety on. Winchester 3" #4 buckshot.
Old October 23, 2008, 07:40 PM   #70
Mike U.

OK...once more and as far as I'm concerned this conversation is over.

Once again, hogdog's posts have mirrored and captured my stance on this issue.

The reason why? The reasons are all personal, but, just to answer your Q's I'll type them out.
I'm am a cardiac patient and in the last three months I've undergone an angioplasty and triple bypass surgery.
I live with a permanantly injured back that gets treated with pain meds because that's all our fine medical professionals have got left in their arsenal. My home is located in a "working class neighborhood" that has been declared as "in decline".
In a given week, I see an average of one to three young males walking down my street not even hiding the fact that they are casing houses.
I was fortunate four months ago when every single car on this block got broken into and many had tires slashed. Guess those cars didn't have enough booty. I was away visiting my mother in north Florida at the time. Thank You, Jesus!

Needless to say, I feel extremely vulnerable, even in my own home. To the point where I carry a 9mm in my back pocket during the day.
I can't run and I cannot go toe-to-toe with a young thug due to my current state of health.
Now, some who don't know me well have asked "why don't you just move?" Long term unemployment keeps my budget tighter than a gnat's ass just to keep the lights on and a little food on the shelves, that's why. Houses for sale in this 'hood typically stay on the market for several years. My house has been appraised at $36,000.00. That pretty much keeps me right here. Where could I go and buy a decent, liveable house on that?
This is the home my late wife and I bought and payed for. (Before things went downhill here) She got sick a week after we paid our mortgage off and died a month to the day later. Moving is NOT gonna happen.

So, I'm faced with the prospect of "what if?". We are a Castle Doctrine state. And as such, I don't have to give a thug any warning whatsoever after he's broken into my occupied dwelling or kicked my door in. Not to say I won't never, ever. These situations/confrontations can be and are very fluid. If the home invader complies after initial confrontation, no one gets hurt. Police get called and I clean up the mess the thug left.
BUT!!
What happens if I miss my shot after warning him to get his hands up or FREEZE(!)and he charges? See the toe-to-toe sentece above. Hiding out in my bedroom only delays the inevitable confrontation and gives him the advantage of cornering me. Not gonna happen.

Now, I don't know about things where you live, but, here a criminal that breaks into an occupied dwelling is a whole other animal than your typical burglar who wants zero contact with his victims. These people are usually prepared for a confrontation and some actually look for it. They ain't right in the head, yaknow what I mean? If not already armed, then they have a ready weapon right in the kitchen in the knife drawer or on the counter in the knife block. People get killed down here from these animals that are rightfully tagged "Home Invaders". Home invasions happen on a near weekly basis if you listen to our regional news. Typically I hear the surviving victim saying on the news "We know this stuff happens, we just never thought it would happen to us". Normally follwed by grief filled tears for their murdered loved one.

I WILL NOT be a victim. And that, my friend, is the bottom line.

I hope this clears up any questions you may have because this topic, this conversation, is done. Played out, fini, stick a fork in it...
Old October 23, 2008, 08:01 PM   #71
Scattergun Bob

Shotguns stored with loaded chambers

I tried to stay out of this post because I have made the same point many times, and yet I still read posters who support the idea of leaving their scattergun with the chamber loaded. I exempt Hogdogs from this rant because we have discused this and both our rock heads are unmoved. However, gentleman, If your scattergun safety does not lock the sear, then I say it is UNSAFE and WRONG.

From an earlier thread;

"Some of you STILL assert that you store your scatterguns in condition 1, what can I do to convince you that this is folly. Every year we have injury and death due to scatterguns firing due to bumps, jars, or drops. This is not conjecture this is fact supported by hunting accident stats. Scattergun Bob says, any shotgun that has a safety that does not lock the sear needs to have an empty chamber BEFORE it leaves you hands. Trust that the folks who came up with "cruiser ready" did so because of blood on the ground and holes in cruisers. To long term store your scattergun in condition 1 is unsafe and in my option unprofessional. To advocate this type of storage on this forum presents a ethical issue that I for one will always speak against. No matter what the activity, if it is worth doing, it is worth doing safely."

Once you have a ID with this method, NO sheep like bleating will make up for your failure to recognize this FOLLY.
Old October 23, 2008, 08:16 PM   #72
Hawg

I'm with hogdogs on this one. There's a rack right next to my bed. It holds four. There's a Winchester model 12, a Winchester model 97 a Winchester model 87 and an L.C. Smith SXS. All are loaded full up. I'm not going to give an intruder an alarm or give away my position by racking a slide. If he gets in the house past the dogs in the yard he's up to no good and I'm assuming malicious intent.
Old October 23, 2008, 08:44 PM   #73
45Marlin carbine

I have a Stoeger 'Coach' SXS 12 ga Mag leaned in near corner of bedstead by the nite-lite. right bbl #6's left bbl #4 Buckshot.
Makarov in spare holster velcroed to bedpost.
Marlin Camp .45acp loaded w/+P's 185 gr hanging on wall hook if needed.
'make my day - punk'!
Old October 23, 2008, 09:21 PM   #74
FyredUp

Hey, whatever you guys want to do is cool with me. I don't live near any of you and I don't have to explain or defend your actions. I do however have to explain and defend mine so let me do what I choose without your telling me I am wrong.
Old October 23, 2008, 09:24 PM   #75
guntotin_fool

.45 commander under my pillow, inside above closet door, up to 4 loaded 870's , 18 inch barrels, swat tubes, first three are BB, the next are all OO buck. Why 4? each kid has their own, and when they go back to school they tuck their shotguns back inside my door.

I have my own reasons for feeling that any night, could be the night something happens.
Closed Thread