The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 8, 2007, 11:34 PM   #26
tomh1426

My first coyote gun was a NEF .223/20ga combo, It was a special order at Wallmart for $220.
I really only use the .223 barrel , it is light ,accurate and cheap.
You can get it in all diff calibers.
What about the .204 Ive been out of it for a while but it was the big thing not long ago.
Old June 9, 2007, 10:06 AM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

lI was talking to a guy in south Georgia, not long back, who's seriously happy with his .204 for coyotes. He said he's reaching out pretty far and succeeding in clean kills.

Art
Old June 9, 2007, 10:43 AM   #28
Fremmer

Quote:
.243 will second as a better hunting rifle for deer. A new hunter should use that as a minimum cal. for whitetail. It is more forgiving in the shoulder area than the .223.
You mean forgiving as far as if you hit the shoulder of the animal, right? Because in terms of recoil, it seems to me that the .223 recoils less than the .243.
Old June 9, 2007, 12:00 PM   #29
crowbeaner

Any caliber will work if you keep your shots within the capabilities of the cartridge you decide on. Seems though one is defeating their purpose to shoot heavy bullets in a .223. Not all of us have the wherewithal to buy a tight twist upper for an AR to shoot those expensive Sierras. If you need to shoot heavier bullets you should buy a .243. Better ballistics, and a better wind bucking ability. See what calibers your local benchresters are using. MY bet is 6mm.
Old June 9, 2007, 02:03 PM   #30
tomh1426

My father uses a 6mm ppc (which I think is a .220 Russian) for coyote and it works very good for him.
Old June 9, 2007, 08:11 PM   #31
Yithian

Yea Art, I can't seem to wait to shoot a 'Yote with my .204.
I have bagged a pig with it.

Warning: bloody picture.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...oldy/Piggy.jpg

She was more than 160Lbs. I can lift 200 Lb barely. I couldn't lift her dead weight.
120 Yards and bowled her over. She had nothing but soup for lungs and heart, and a massive hole in her stomach.
It had no exit wound. From what I've been told, even a coyote at 40 yards will have no exit wound with these Hornady 40gr ballistic tips.
The downside was that I had to cut out 5 ribs. Bits of lung and grass had imbedded itself in-between the rib bones and flesh.
The upside was that the ribs on the other side didn't have a scratch.
What you can see that came back out of the 2 inch by 3 inch entry hole is intestine.
Old June 27, 2007, 09:51 AM   #32
ELMOUSMC

To skin a Yote it is always best to kill it first other wise they like to bite.I start at the inside of the back legs then up the belly to the front legs,up the neck to the chin.Back to the tail all the way to the tip(be careful not to nick the anus)roll him on his back and start peeling be careful not to tear the hide they are pretty thin.Around here the fur buyers are paying from $15 to $28 for a really nice prime golden or dark brown hide