The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old May 2, 2006, 06:42 PM   #1
solz56

Junior member, Member, Senior Member titles

Hi there. Great forum. I'm learning a lot.

I was wondering if it would be possible to switch the titles to reflect registration date rather than post count?

I'm a little more chatty than some of the other users and despite being a member for under a month and being a firearms novice, suddenly I'm a Senior Member? I don't want a new forum member to mistake me for one of the seasoned, knowledgeable firearms experts on here.

Maybe do it like: first 2 months = Junior Member, then Member for 6+ months, and then Senior Member to more closely reflect forum usage?
Colt 1911 Gov't .45
Old May 2, 2006, 07:34 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Our current set up seems to work fine:

Junior = 0 to 14
Member = 15 to 99
Senior = 100 and up

And there's no provision in the software, AFAIK, to change it to your suggested method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solz56
I don't want a new forum member to mistake me for one of the seasoned, knowledgeable firearms experts on here.
The member status means little to anyone who can read and comprehend plain English. Members are judged more on the style and appearance of their posts than on post count.

Personally, there are some members with more than 1,000 posts whom I completely disregard, and others with fewer than 300 that I hold in high esteem.

My judgement of you (based solely on this post) is that you are an intelligent (based on your spelling and use of proper grammar), thoughtful (based on the subject matter of your post) member who is considerate of others and thinks himself to have more to learn than to teach. Don't sell yourself short. There's not a single thing wrong with that! I'd rather have a hundred members like you than one self-proclaimed "expert."

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old May 2, 2006, 08:29 PM   #3
solz56

Thanks for the fast reply. I didn't know Vbulletin software didn't allow for that kind of customization.

Just a minor thing I noticed today. No worries.

You can kill this thread if you want.

[edit] Just an aside, but this is by far the nicest and best run firearms forum I've run across so far. Keep up the good work. My question threads have recieved informative responses and I've learned a lot by just lurking & reading.
Colt 1911 Gov't .45
Old May 3, 2006, 01:50 PM   #4
tyme
Staff

Quote:
I was wondering if it would be possible to switch the titles to reflect registration date rather than post count?
Please note that posters' registration dates are displayed right below their member titles. If you want to judge people by their time on the forum, that's easy enough.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)