The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 15, 1999, 08:04 PM   #1
telowbird

I just bought a pre-ban Car15 and tried shooting it the other day and almost every round failed to eject and jammed the bolt. Could it be the ammunition? I tried different clips with no luck. Rings were offset. Is it possible the key could be leaking? The gun is clean. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou
Old February 15, 1999, 11:23 PM   #2
Michael Carlin

It sounds as though the ejector spring may be the culprit. Check to insure that the ejector plunger has good tension on it ans moves freely.

Check the Bolt to insure that the key is tight and mates correctly with the gas tube.

You should also check to insure that the gas port is present and free on obstruction.

(Don't laugh, a National Match M1A was shipped by one of the top guns to a fellow who brought it to Bruce Woodford. Complaint: wont't function. Diagnosis, no gas port drilled in barrel!)

Finally, I am not familiar with the CAR version, is it possible that an incorrect spring or buffer is being used in the CAR?

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

Old February 16, 1999, 07:50 PM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I would have to agree on the ejector spring. Check to see if there is a small plastic buffer in or under the spring. Last time I checked or had this difficulty that is what it was. This seems to strengthen the ejector.

HJN
Old February 16, 1999, 07:54 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Check the gas rings:

Take the bolt and carrier out of the weapon. Push the bolt full in. Take hold of the bolt with two fingers with the carrier hanging down. If the rings hold the carrier the rings are not the problem.

Take a pipe cleaner and clean out the gas link on top of the carrier.

HJN
Old February 17, 1999, 03:36 AM   #5
pat

does it extract, and just not eject or does it not extract. to make sure with one rnd in the mag does it lock open? or does it leave the brass in the chamber? tell me more ill try to help
Old February 17, 1999, 08:09 AM   #6
telowbird

Hi Pat and thanks to everyone for the replies. It does extract and does not eject the spent cases. Doing it by hand, it works just fine.I tried Harley's suggestion with the bolt and the rings seem fine.
Old February 17, 1999, 10:35 AM   #7
Hiker

It sounds like a weak extractor spring, check your local gunshop and see if they have any (they are very cheap). Have you been to www.ar15.com discussion forum? This is a great site for any question/problem with any AR-15 rifle or accessory.
Old February 17, 1999, 03:41 PM   #8
pat

like Hiker i think you need to change the springs but i would change bothe the extrac and eject springs they are cheap as mentioned and its painless unless you launch the ejector plunger across the shop and cant find it. work with a fluffed up towell in front of the bolt as you punch the pin out so you will have a bacstop for the flying parts.. good luck pat
Old February 18, 1999, 08:37 PM   #9
Panzer D6

Don't forget about the Extractor itself. I once built an AR-15 kitgun which failed to extract properly. Since it was new, I dismissed spring problems, and went straight for the extractor. After removal and inspection, I discovered the notch that hooks the cartridge rim was too narrow. A replacement gave perfect function.

Good luck,

Panzer D6