The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 14, 2000, 09:55 AM   #1
Mikul

I used to have an Army web belt with a fanny pack, canteen, and ammo pouch attached that I'd wear under my main backpack. It was perfect for day trips, or side excursions where I'd leave my large pack at camp.

Well, it died. Now that I need a new one, does anyone have anything different that they'd recommend?
Old September 14, 2000, 05:11 PM   #2
voodoo

Try a Mountainsmith lumbar pack. IMO, they are the fanny pack by which all others are judged. They are that good.
Old September 15, 2000, 08:20 AM   #3
ohen cepel

I live in a Camelback when I'm out.
They make several sizes of them, one of which should meet your needs. They go from being just a water system to being a daypack.
I think they are hard to beat.
If you want a more tactical piece Blackhawk makes a similiar item to the Camelback.

------------------
He who dares wins.
NRA Life Memeber
Old September 16, 2000, 10:18 PM   #4
Lightfighter

There are many useful packs available at:
www.lightfighter.com.

You can order on line and shippiung is free to the continentalUnited States.

I am active duty army and I use a Becker Patrol pack made by Eagle industries when I am out for a few days. The Liquidator Liquipak III might be a useful pack if you are looking for the finest pack to combine with a hydration system. Check it all out at:
www.lightfighter.com

Thank You,

Bradley Nelson
President, Lightfighter.com
[email protected]
Old September 17, 2000, 12:02 PM   #5
Different

Mikul, I highly recommend the Eagle Industries Liqua-Pak III. Very comfortable. Cargo capacity is about 1000 cubic inches with lots of straps and attachment points. Very comfortable and well made. They are made in various colors. I have a tan colored one that I use in the southwest desert. I carry two hydration reservoirs in it and just keep on moving.

Check out www.eagleindustries.com and www.lightfighter.com
Old September 18, 2000, 02:24 PM   #6
Mikul

Thank you for the recommendations. What I need is something that will leave most of my back open, which is why the Air Force butt back was fairly effective. I give off a LOT of heat through my back and using a backpack for a long one day hike is uncomfortable and unneccessary.

Let me know of anything that you can recommend.
Old September 18, 2000, 06:50 PM   #7
Joey

Shoot Geri at http://www.geared-up.com a e-mail and see what she recommends. I'm using a BlackHawk Phoenix pack and while it's a rather large pack it works excellent for my needs. Geri has the best customer service I've ever found and can't recommend her highly enough.

You can get another LBE rig but with all the spiffy packs on the market that is how I'd go nowadays. Anywhoo nobody sweats more than I do and lives to tell so I know exactly what your talking about and I've switched from a buttpack to a backpack.