The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 1, 2000, 07:42 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Hey guys,

What kind of BP loads are you using in the 45 LC? I heard that the military was using a full 40 grains originally but cut down to 28 grains. Did they use 3FG or 2FG? Thanks for any information.
Old March 2, 2000, 07:03 PM   #2
Trigger Jerk

I use 3f but can't tell you weight. Exact weight is not important. Volume is important. Specifically, you must NOT leave any air space between the powder and the bullet. Use enough powder by volume so that when the bullet is seated, you will compress the powder slightly.

You can't play with light vs heavy loads as you can with smokeless powder. You can reduce black powder loads, but if you are just starting to load with black powder, I would not reccommend it.
Old March 3, 2000, 03:47 PM   #3
Joe West

I use a .44cal pyrodex pellet which equals 30 grains in either 45Colt or 44-40 cases. I seat a standard-lubed bullet, crimp and shoot. Standard primers also. The pellet is pre-compressed amd is not affected by an air space. I've used this method since the pellets were available and it works very well.
Joe West

[This message has been edited by Joe West (edited March 03, 2000).]