The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 11, 2002, 11:33 AM   #1
TaxPhd

New Rifle

I finally got around to buying my new rifle. A .54 cal Lyman Great Plains Hunter. I figure that if I can't get within 100 yards of an Elk, that Elk doesn't need to get dead. And yes, I'll be using this during the regular rifle season.

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old July 11, 2002, 03:56 PM   #2
Jimmy Mac

Old July 11, 2002, 06:51 PM   #3
BigG

.54 isn't that illegal?

Congrats, TaxPhD, on yer new bangstick. I love my .54 CVA Mountain Rifle. Good luck on your hunt and bad luck to the elks!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 12, 2002, 03:31 AM   #4
Mike Weber

Big Bore Muzzleloaders Do Work For Elk!
I've hunted elk in western Oregon with my Replica 1861 Enfield Artillery Musketoon. Stalk in and bowl em over. I shoot .58 Minnies with this the bullet doesn't expand much but, the mass does the job. I've also hunted with another of my replica civil war smokepoles an 1858 Enfield musket. It also works but I prefer the carbine for hunting in thick brush country. Those Lyman rifles are great guns for hunting also.
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.