The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 2, 2013, 01:12 AM   #1
militant

Long barrel home defense

I have a Benelli Nova in 12 gauge with a 28inch barrel for my home defense gun. What do you guys think about long shotgun barrels for home defense?
Old June 2, 2013, 01:20 AM   #2
silvrjeepr

Long barrel home defense

At very close range, long barrels are useless. It's too easy for the bad guy to move it out of the way on the way to you. At 5 to 10 yards, you may have a chance, closer than that, get a shorter barrel or a pistol. My .02
Old June 2, 2013, 06:40 AM   #3
garryc

I'd defiantly get the 18-1/2" barrel for that shotgun. Learn to shoot it at close range from a high tuck position so the stock is locked under your arm. If someone grabs the barrel use his hand as a pivot point to turn the muzzle into him.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:42 AM   #4
jmr40

I wouldn't call it useless. It is less than ideal, but until you can do better you gotta make do with what you've got. The longer barrel will be a hinderance inside a home, but a better plan is to barracade yourself in a bedroom and call 911. If an intruder gets to your room before police arrive then do what you have to do. It doesn't involve a lot of maneuvering in this case so the longer barrel is less of a problem.

Replacement barrels are almost as expensive as a whole new Nova. If you decide you want something shorter you'll be better off buying another gun. With a Remington or Mossberg replacement barrels are cheap enough and available, so it is easier to justify a 2nd barrrel.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:26 AM   #5
g.willikers

There are techniques to defend against a gun grab with a long gun.
But obviously the shorter the barrel the better.
But if that's all you have, it's doable.
Here's one approach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaP6SplMEsM
Old June 2, 2013, 09:18 AM   #6
militant

Locking myself in a room and calling the police is my plan. Breaking down two doors to get to me looks better in court if I have to use the Nova. Once inside the second room, I am more than confidant I can hit center of mass before the perp gets to me. It takes a very brave man to see a shotgun and run after it to grab it wouldn't you say?
Old June 2, 2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If your residence is open and spacious, barrel length is not much of a factor. If you have a lot of furniture, floor lamps and narrow hallways, it could be that a handgun is a better choice.

Best would be to do a "Let's pretend" scenario and figure out any problems.
Old June 2, 2013, 11:15 AM   #8
Onward Allusion

Pretty much a negative indoors in tight quarters. Personally, I would not use a long gun indoors unless I'm hunkered down behind a locked door. Outdoors in open spaces, attached a tube extension and have 10+1.

I guess an option would be to get a 18.5" barrel for it, but those things are a bit more costly than one for a 870. Ever thought about getting a NEF Pardner Pump Protector for less than $200?
Old June 2, 2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

My first choice is a minimum-length shotgun. I say "minimum-length" rather than "short-barrelled shotgun," because the latter is a specific NFA term, and I don't want the extra expense of a tax stamp. Hence, no NFA item for me. My second choice would be a handgun. Long-barrelled shotguns come in somewhere down the list, due to maneuverability issues.
Old June 2, 2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Miss Stana

Shorter barrels are definately more manuverable in tight spaces and close range. That's a good point that someone would have to be very brave (or foolish) to run across a room and grab a shotgun barrel. Hopefully, the perp would decide that an unarmed neighbor would make a better victom.

AIC
Custom Rifles
Old June 2, 2013, 02:36 PM   #11
Kimber84

Long barrel home defense

Unless you plan on pursuing a perp through your house with the gun, or breaching doorways then I can't see where a long barrel would be a hindrance. If your plan is to hunker down and wait for LE then I think you'd be fine. ( that is my plan seems it would hold up better in court). Trust me, I don't want someone breaking into my house, but I'm also not going Rambo on them just to get a point across. Some people see it that way, some don't to each their own.
Old June 2, 2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Technically, Kimber84, you're right. Hunkering down and waiting: (1) is a tactically sound move; and (2) is a legally sound move. Those of us with children, though, may not have that option. If something happens at my residence, for example, I may have to leave my room to get my daughter.
Old June 2, 2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Kimber84

Long barrel home defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
Technically, Kimber84, you're right. Hunkering down and waiting: (1) is a tactically sound move; and (2) is a legally sound move. Those of us with children, though, may not have that option. If something happens at my residence, for example, I may have to leave my room to get my daughter.
Yes, very true... That's an entirely different variable that would change the reaction... And I think we would be within sound legal judgement to protect our family... In that case I certainly wouldn't be laying low.

Good point.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:07 AM   #14
csmsss

I'm with Spats. Personally, I think the 18" bbl 12 gauge is just about ideal - extra barrel length provides zero benefit in the home defense situation (beyond the "cumbersome" factor, it's also slower to bring to bear and aim) and only the potential for more easily being detected/disarmed by your adversary.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:33 AM   #15
Jim243

Quote:
It takes a very brave man to see a shotgun and run after it to grab it wouldn't you say?
No, a very deranged person, not thinking.

Jim
Old June 3, 2013, 11:26 AM   #16
silvrjeepr

Long barrel home defense

Deranged, yes. Stupid, Definitely. You'd be very shocked at how quickly a motivated individual can cover a 5 yard distance though. Add some sleep around the eyes and low lighting, and it's entirely possible to graze a ducking and dodging fast moving target.

I'll concede that in some cases, a full length shot gun would get the job done though. I was originally thinking more worst case scenario. I've seen a ton of statistics that put a bad guy already attacking or on the way to attack by the time the good guy is alerted. In that case you're looking at a very close quarters fight. A full length shotty is completely useless in that scenario.
Old June 3, 2013, 11:48 AM   #17
militant

In the event of a home evasion, my shotgun is right by my bed. If I heard the front door being kicked in, I could grab my shotgun very quickly and aim it at my rooms doorway. If I seen someone coming no matter how fast, I am sure I could hit them. Does the 10 inches at the end of the barrel really matter? If you could grab a 28 inch barrel, why couldn't you grab and 18? Does that 1/4 of a second it takes to move the extra 10 inches matter? I can shoulder my shotgun as quickly as you can. If you can't, maybe you should work on a fitness plan.
Old June 3, 2013, 11:48 AM   #18
deadcoyote

It can work depending on where you live. I just keep a pistol with a light on it for primary HD, but I live on a big chink of land and have a lot of bear problems, so I used to keep a 30-30 above a door way. switched it out to a FAL as it'll work for bears just fine and probably better for two legged critters.
Old June 3, 2013, 02:54 PM   #19
SIGSHR

With that long a barrel you may as well mount a bayonet on it.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:22 PM   #20
pabuckslayer08

Id rather have a long barrel than no barrel at all and be gunless. Something is better than nothing, and 95 percent of the time all you have to do is crack the action once and most invaders will scatter very quick unless they are mentally deranged
Old June 3, 2013, 08:23 PM   #21
jrothWA

USE IT!

Practice trap shooting to get to know your shotgun.

At a later time, you may want to get a slug barrel with sights.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:35 PM   #22
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabuckslayer08
. . . . 95 percent of the time all you have to do is crack the action once and most invaders will scatter very quick unless they are mentally deranged
Where'd the 95% come from? Has anyone actually come out with a study that supports that claim?
Old June 3, 2013, 10:08 PM   #23
csmsss

Quote:
Where'd the 95% come from? Has anyone actually come out with a study that supports that claim?
I think I know where this comes from. In Hollywood movies where a pump scattergun is prominent, the slide is gratuitously racked for effect 95% of the time, thus making the bad guys wet their pants immediately.

In real life, the intelligent bad guy not only now knows exactly where you are, he also knows you've just wasted a round.

Last edited by csmsss; June 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:19 PM   #24
Onward Allusion

Quote:
pabuckslayer08
Id rather have a long barrel than no barrel at all and be gunless. Something is better than nothing, and 95 percent of the time all you have to do is crack the action once and most invaders will scatter very quick unless they are mentally deranged
Ah, I think you meant to post in THIS thread...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...s+heard&page=5
Old June 4, 2013, 07:59 AM   #25
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Heh. The only time I ever racked a shotgun "for cause", there was an instant exodus. So, 100%.

It should be fairly obvious that "light and handy" relates to home defense as well as hunting in thick cover.

But you go with what you have, in part as a function of primary intended use and the size of one's billfold.