The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 12, 2012, 05:08 PM   #1
LoveAndPeace

What. Is. This. Awesome Sauce.

I've been wanting to buy a .357 revolver with this barrel solely because it looks awesome, are there any other perks to it though?

#1 - what is this barrel called?

#2 - how much would it cost to buy this?

Old December 12, 2012, 05:15 PM   #2
BarryLee

Have you looked at the offerings for the S&W Performance Center? While not exactly the same some of their stuff does “look awesome”.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 12, 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
LoveAndPeace

yes I'm so far sold on a .357 s&w 6" but I was wondering if anyone knew what this particular barrel frame is called
Old December 12, 2012, 05:22 PM   #4
BarryLee

Maybe a Slab-sided heavy target barrel? Seriously I have no real clue…
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 12, 2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Madcap_Magician

I think it's a Ron Powers Power Custom PPC gun. I don't believe he is building them anymore.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:30 PM   #6
RKG

My guess would be a PPC gun: PPC (Practical Police Course) was one of the first "combat" style competitions. It was hampered by (a) entry restricted to working POs, and (b) no limitations on revolver modifications. Add the fact that you could shoot with whimpy loads, and you got a revolver with essentially zero recoil that held target without any movement.

However, that appears to be a Dan Wesson and I never saw a Dan Wesson in a PPC match. Most were built from S&W M14s, with bull barrels, full length sight fixtures (often filled with melted lead for more weight), beveled charge holes (to aid speed loader reloading), and adjustable rear sights.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:43 PM   #7
chewie146

You can still find ppc barrels at brownells, etc. They have full bull and slab side barrels. They're actually pretty reasonable. It shouldn't cost you all that much to get a used Smith 10 (or the stainless version) and throw a ppc barrel on there. If you're set on .357, same barrel logic applies with a slightly more expensive gun.

These are the K frame barrels that I mentioned.
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...-prod5021.aspx
Old December 12, 2012, 05:50 PM   #8
LoveAndPeace

found it

not for sale but found it Dan Wesson PPC indeed

anyways how is it compared to a 6" S&W available in stores? Any less accurate or harder to handle?
Old December 12, 2012, 06:14 PM   #9
LoveAndPeace

WOOOOO you can apparrently order the barrel from the website for about $169 without shipping

now, is it possible to attach this to a quality .357 revolver? Any suggestions guys?
Old December 12, 2012, 06:28 PM   #10
PetahW

IDK - Dan Wesson revolvers are not built like conventional revolvers, which have their barrel cinched up tight to the cylinder frame.

DW barrels screw loosely into the cylinder frame, until it hits a thickness feeler gauge held across the cylinder face (to set the bbl/cyl gap), a barrel shroud w/sights, etc slipped on over the barrel, and a nut installed & tightened down on the muzzle end of the barrel, effectively slightly stretching the barrel into a tautness with the frame, at the same time securing the shroud/sights, etc.

The DW claim to fame was sets of interchangeable barrels w/shrouds of different lengths & configs for a single frame/caliber.

Old December 12, 2012, 06:30 PM   #11
mete

It's really not a "Practical" police course. First time we saw it we laughed !
I think that was replaced by better things like IPSC. Reality at that time was entering the police forces.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:30 PM   #12
MrBorland

Quote:
It's really not a "Practical" police course.
AFAIK, PPC = Police Pistol Combat.

You can still have a PPC revolver built by a good gunsmith, but check out gunbroker for used examples. Generally listed at reasonable prices, too, since there's not much demand for them. Well-built ones can be real tack drivers. Be aware, though, that those über-stout barrels make the gun very muzzle heavy, and they're generally designed to shoot target wadcutters.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:53 PM   #13
LoveAndPeace

so....I'd be better off with using a Smith&Wesson for self defense?

o_o
Old December 12, 2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I think it's a Ron Powers Power Custom PPC gun. I don't believe he is building them anymore.
Thank God for that.... That is one seriously ugly gun.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:21 PM   #15
MrBorland

Quote:
I'd be better off with using a Smith&Wesson for self defense?
PPC revolvers may look badass, but they're purpose-built target guns. A standard revolver, make & caliber of your choice, would be a much better choice for SD, IMO.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:26 PM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

Strictly a competition build, as noted above.
Bad choice for SD. Heavy & awkward.
Denis
Old December 12, 2012, 09:03 PM   #17
Jim March

It's set up for shooting light 38 target loads fast as hell - machine gun speeds .

Seriously. That's what that game was about. Wasn't a good trainer for tactical realities AT ALL and is mostly gone as a result.

IPSC took to setting "minimum power levels" in direct response to how stupid PPC became. It also set up rules to make the guns themself "street type", at least at first . Now we've got the "unlimited classes" with funky stuff galore so IDPA cropped up to reset the guns back to "normal".
Old December 12, 2012, 09:14 PM   #18
LoveAndPeace

well ****
Old December 12, 2012, 09:18 PM   #19
TacticalSamurai

Movie Prop?
Old December 13, 2012, 12:19 AM   #20
DPris
Member Emeritus

No, it's a PPC target gun, as mentioned above.
Denis
Old December 13, 2012, 02:47 AM   #21
Glenn Dee

These gun's were popular for gaming for a while... Mine had a huge 6" douglass barrel, with a bomar rib.... (the standards in those days). They were race guns. Mine was built on a S&W 5 screw frame. These were very slick race gun's. Carried in skelitonized holsters. A passing fad.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:45 AM   #22
micromontenegro

You can still buy slabsided DW barrels form EWK:

http://www.ewkarms.com/store
Old December 13, 2012, 08:49 AM   #23
WC145

Check gunbroker, there's always old PPC guns for sale there at reasonable prices. Even though most have had a ton of rounds through them it was usually light target loads so there wasn't a lot of stress on the frame and they've held up pretty well. They're usually DAO with light, slick actions and very accurate shooters. I see no reason one couldn't be used for general range and plinking fun and home defense, though most are impractical for any sort of carry.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old December 13, 2012, 09:09 AM   #24
Stressfire

Hmmm, you wouldn't happen to be a Trigun fan, now would you?
Old December 13, 2012, 09:37 AM   #25
CajunBass

Awwww...that ain't radical. You should see the "short cylinder" model PPC revolvers. The cylinders were cut back to where they'd only accept 38 wadcutters. Then the barrels were set back to the desired B/C gap.

Do a search for "Fred Schmidt Short Cylinder Conversion." You can probably find a picture of one somewhere.

(Others probably did it too. Schmidt happened to live in my hometown of Mechanicsville, Va., so I knew of his work.)
John 3:16 (NKJV)