The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2011, 11:40 AM   #1
A_Gamehog

New Black gun in 20 Pratical

Does anyone have any thoughts bad or good about this cartridge? It's basically a .223 round necked down to 20 cal. it is easily formed with one pass of a resize die. Best of both worlds, easily found brass, and higher BC of the smaller 20's. I was going to make a new upper for my current AR-15 with this new round.

Load data is very similar to the .223 loads for the same grain bullets as a reference point to start from what I can read. I would not be shooting anything higher than 40 grains and was thinking of an 11 twist? 12 twist?

Thanks in advance...
Old January 24, 2011, 01:42 PM   #2
armoredman

Not trying to start something - what is it good for? Does it do something 223 doesn't do? If it's just for fun and experimentation, that's cool, just curious if this little thing had a definate purpose in mind.
Old January 24, 2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Ike666

Can you push it faster, farther, and/or more accurately than a 5.56?

What is the BC on some typical bullets in this caliber?

Wind? What does the wind do to it?
Old January 24, 2011, 03:41 PM   #4
A_Gamehog

The 204 Ruger is a great P-Dog squirrel gun. That said this gun/cal. does it just as fast and good. The advantage of the 20 cal over the 22 cal is the high BC in light bullets. I shot side by side with a friend using a 204 last summer he shot 39 grain Sierra BK's and I shot my .223 with 55 grain Hornady V-Max's to equal his. They don't drift as much and drop as much, and in the wind do a lot better. The recoil is about the same as a .223. The only thing stopping me from the 204 Ruger to me is a lot of custom brass costing 2X as much. This cal. 20- pratical is every bit as good as the 20 Tactical and 204 Ruger at 1/2 the price. In a AR-15 you can use any std. 223 upper without modification except for the 20 cal barrel. Magazines and the accessories and furniture is the same. This cal is only for light bullets and at long distances 500 yards or less, at 500+ yards the heavier bullet .223 guns with 69+ grain bullets are more capable. Basically the argument is the same as the 223 vers. the 204 Ruger, it's faster, flatter, less recoil, and less powder, less heat generated, longer shooting between forced "cool downs".

40 Grain Sierra BK= 287 BC for the 20 cal
40 Grain Sierra BK= 196 BC for the 22 cal

I have my 22-250 for the coyotes and just wanted to build a new gun up with this 20 Pratical cal. Best of both worlds it seems to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hC1N...ayer_embedded#!

Last edited by A_Gamehog; January 24, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old January 24, 2011, 06:21 PM   #5
PA-Joe

Check out James calhoon dot com He has been doing a 20 for years.
Old January 24, 2011, 08:47 PM   #6
A_Gamehog

Thanks, Pa-Joe
James Calhoon is known for his 19-223. I just can't go to just any gun store and get what I want as far as 19 cal. bullets. For example, I just went to Nosler's main office in Bend Or. today and got same lot # brass for the 223 and 69 Custom Comp. 22 cal bullets. Cheaper than anywhere on the .net. If I was to go to a Calhoon 19 cal I would be limited to him as my only bullet supply? $$

I was looking to make a new AR upper for myself that's only purpose is ground Squirrels (Squeaks) and P-Dogs. When my .223 gets hot I can pull two pins and switch out to the 20-Pratical upper and go-to-town. Inexpensive brass and bullets easily bought in any gun store. Two guns running from the same custom $trigger$ lower.