The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 14, 2010, 09:47 AM   #1
GHILLIE MAN

Shooting glasses lens colors?

Hi, Ive noticed there's several different color lenses for shooting glasses.
What is the significance of the different colors? I see some guys shooting long range rifles with clear lenses, then switch to yellow lenses for handgun shooting? Is there a reason for that? Ive heard that the yellow removes part of the blue spectrum that can affect shots when not using a scope? a myth?

Any info would be of help.

Thanks.

Last edited by GHILLIE MAN; October 14, 2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old October 14, 2010, 09:36 PM   #2
raimius

Part of it is to increase the visual differentiation of targets to background, if I remember correctly.
Old October 15, 2010, 01:27 AM   #3
Ideal Tool

Shooting glass colors

Hello, GHILLIE MAN, The red I believe are used by shotgun shooters to help pick up on clay targets. I have always used yellow in the Bausch & lomb Shooting glasses. I find they help in rifle/pistol shooting with black bullseye.
The range where I shoot has covered benches on 25, 50 & 100yd. ranges
so I am in shade most of time. in very bright sunlight, this color can become a little intense, as it seems to draw light in even on overcast days. For this, I ordered a set with the B&L "shooters grey"..these can double as sunglasses.
Best of luck & good shooting!
Old October 15, 2010, 02:09 AM   #4
GHILLIE MAN

Thanks, good to know. The reason i ask. I got a great deal on a four pack of Remington T series shooter glasses. 1 is clear, 1 yellow, 1 black (like sunglasses) and the other with a gray mirror finish. Just always wondered what the significance was for.
Old October 15, 2010, 04:27 AM   #5
trooper3385

A friend of mine gave me a pair of rayban shooting glasses with the pink lenses. They really make the colors stick out and look bright. I wore them for about 2 minutes till I looked in the mirror and realized that I looked like a p*rn star director. Worked really good if you don't mind what you look like.
Old October 15, 2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Black or smoke on really bright days with a light back ground, amber on sunny days but with a dark back ground and yellow on overcast days or in the woods under a leafy canopy works for me. Filters out the glare and allows me to see things clearly and in focus compared to bare eyes or plain glasses. I haven't used the black ones since I left the desert but I use the amber and the yellow a lot.

I never tried the pink or blue so I have no idea how they work.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 15, 2010, 10:02 AM   #7
doofus47

for what it's worth, I don't shoot competition, but I bike race and the requirement for vision is pretty much equal: more detail means better decisions under stress and short time constraints.

Sunny: light grey/smoke etc. Red lenses for finer detail.
Overcast: Yellow/orange
Night/dusk: clear

Always polarized, if possible.

The light-adjusting lenses have not done anything for me.
Old October 16, 2010, 04:12 AM   #8
Norrick

I personally don't buy into all the colors. The only thing I really give any credit to is polarized lenses, but you don't really need them unless you are dealing with alot of glare.

High quailty sunglasses if its too bright to shoot comfortably, otherwise I just use clear.
Old October 16, 2010, 06:28 AM   #9
hooligan1

Myself I use all three, Yellow, Clear, and polarized Blue blockers. The reason I take all three is for weather differences, like mentioned before. THE biggest thing I look at with shooting glasses is their tendacy to fog up, if they fog they find theirself retired to the trash! I currently have been using 3M shooting glasses and I also use them at work, as a plumber, working on the Forsythe project on Ft. Riley, where their required. So after wearing safety glasses at least 8 hours a day I really like the 3M shooting glasses!! And I'm sure you can find them in any shade!!
Old October 16, 2010, 07:48 AM   #10
smoakingun

I didn't think the color of glasses made a difference untill I started getting older. But now the color makes a hughr difference in how well I see the target. It sucks getting old
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old October 16, 2010, 09:48 AM   #11
Jim243

Quote:
It sucks getting old
A+ to that. Mostly yellow, clear for scope use.

Jim
Old October 16, 2010, 11:06 AM   #12
l98ster

Just bought a pair of Rudy Project Rydon glasses. I have tried almost every color out there and came up with the following conclusions:

1) For IPSC/IDPA, to me, there is nothing better than the photochromic clear lenses. These are the lenses that adjust to sunlight. When wearing them all dy, you dont even notice them change (which is great). IPSC targets are cardboard color and the backdrop is usually sand or dirt. Clear is the way to go.

2) For skeet/trap, I always liked the yellow. Seems to me to bring out the orange targets well. I may actually go with the clear for this type of shooting also.

-George
Old October 16, 2010, 05:45 PM   #13
overland

I used to be a skier and always used yellow lenses on days with flat light. They bring out the terrain better. Clear for high overcast days, yellow for overcast days, tinted for sunny days.
Old October 16, 2010, 05:53 PM   #14
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
I personally don't buy into all the colors. The only thing I really give any credit to is polarized lenses, but you don't really need them unless you are dealing with alot of glare.

High quailty sunglasses if its too bright to shoot comfortably, otherwise I just use clear.
Several skeet/trap and sporting clay ranges I go to have backgrounds that make picking up the target difficult... I could make a believer out of you in five minutes...
Old October 16, 2010, 06:24 PM   #15
HunterGuy

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/allsafe-nemesis.html

Great fit, feel and look.
Old February 15, 2013, 03:54 PM   #16
slazar16

Shooting glasses recommendation

For the shooting glasses I would recommend Decot Shooting glasses. These guys know what they are doing when it comes to Shooting eye-wear (considering its all they do) and they have options to fit most budgets. I would give one of their dealers a call. The one I use is on eBay. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Decot-Hy-Wyd...item1c2072018e)
His phone number is 602.903.5029 and will consult you based on your specific shooting needs, be it front sight clarification to simply varying lighting conditions.

I got a full set for everything I'm doing (Sporting clays, rife and pistol) for around $300. Cant recommend them any higher.
Old February 15, 2013, 04:37 PM   #17
spacecoast

Light of different wavelengths focuses to a slightly different point in the eye, by filtering to a narrow spectral range with a colored lens (like yellow) it tends to sharpen the image a bit.
Old February 15, 2013, 09:36 PM   #18
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:

I used to think that way. I was a lot younger then. You will get over it as you see the advantages.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 16, 2013, 04:18 PM   #19
30Cal

Clear when it's early
Yellow for overcast
pink for full sunlight
Old February 23, 2013, 01:13 PM   #20
Meeteetse

Now that you have the different lenses, experiment. You will find that the different colors are remarkably different depending on the light you are shooting in or the background/color of the target. Find what you like. For me, dark gray or amber for bright sunny light, yellow for gray overcast light or indoor shooting, and clear for dark conditions. Yellow even works for night time.
Old February 23, 2013, 02:22 PM   #21
mrbatchelor

Shooting glasses lens colors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
I used to think that way. I was a lot younger then. You will get over it as you see the advantages.
Well, I still use only clear because I've got one pair of progressive custom tri-focals that let me see the front sight and the 200 yard target. I can't afford a bunch of different colors.

Getting old is hell, but it sure beats the alternative.

Tags
glasses , handgun , lenses , shooting , yellow