The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 25, 2009, 12:17 AM   #1
MagicMan

Picked up a Mosin-Nagant

Found myself a nice Mosin-Nagant 91/30 tonight. Anyone have any links for me on how to clean & lube this thing properly. There is also a bag of metal parts included with that &, I'll be honest, I have no idea what they are for.

Old February 25, 2009, 12:56 AM   #2
fortkevin2

cool!

Awesome Magicman. You'll like it. It's fun and fairly cheap to shoot. Here's one of my M38 Mosin's shooting Bulgarian heavy ball surplus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nagant M38 Muzzle Blast-Kevin Shooting 2.jpg (51.0 KB, 131 views)
Old February 25, 2009, 01:11 AM   #3
Big Bill

When I got mine, I bought a handbook. Then I took it all apart and cleaned it. Then I sanded and refinished the stock. Next, I took the bolt apart and cleaned the parts of the bolt and checked the firing pin to make sure it was within tolerances (very important).

There are some good videos on YouTube that will explain most of it to you.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old February 25, 2009, 02:03 AM   #4
Ignition Override

Mr. MagicMan: Good-lucking Russian babe you found. The surplus ammo is gradually going up in price, and hope you order at least a few cans.
A regular seller on 'Gunbroker' (Ammo dept.) always has multiple cans of it at a decent price.

You will find some very enthusiastic MN fans at Gunandgame who are also quite well-versed with many series.
The MNs have their own forum and those guys really enjoy helping people out and joking about 'Mosinitis which, sadly has never been cured, even at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I met one of the young guys and enjoyed shooting with him at a club range. Tried out his 91/30s and 91/59.
Plan to let him try my 44s and SKS.
Old February 25, 2009, 06:05 AM   #5
dm1333

Surplusrifle.com has quite a bit about the 91/30. Stand by for the inevitable comments about MN, accuracy and weight.
Old February 25, 2009, 08:03 AM   #6
RamSlammer

Go to http://www.7.62x54r.net

All the info you'll ever want or need about Mosin Nagant's.
Old February 25, 2009, 08:27 AM   #7
joyrock

It looks like a good one! Do all the numbers match? That adds 0.05$ to the value! Now go get some ammo! 182gr stuff from the 50's are really fun to shoot throo stuff, like cars, schools, APC's etc., etc.... The 203gr SP are good for hunting, HD, there not as good for punching holes throo 3/8" steel Now the 147gr stuff is faster and lighter. And get some tracer ammo for the night time shootouts! And watchout those bullets will travel about 5 miles, give or take. And most of all, have fun!
Old February 25, 2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the best value for the dollar in a centerfire rifle these days. And you can actually get ammo for them.
Old February 25, 2009, 10:04 AM   #9
outdoorman63

thye are a blast,cheap,cheap on ammo but after a few rounds the shoulder sure feels it
Old February 25, 2009, 10:25 AM   #10
NYPD13

Best value rifle these days. Fun and cheap to shoot. In that bag of goodies should be the solvent/oil can, bolt take down tool with firing pin protrusion gauge, crown cap, cleaning jag, punch/rod handle, dog collar sling, double clip pouch, and bayonet. SurplusRifle.com also has take down instructions for these rifles. Enjoy.
Old February 25, 2009, 11:11 AM   #11
MagicMan

Who has the best deals on 7.62x54 ammo?
Old February 25, 2009, 12:21 PM   #12
carguychris

Quote:
In that bag of goodies should be the solvent/oil can, bolt take down tool with firing pin protrusion gauge, crown cap, cleaning jag, punch/rod handle, dog collar sling, double clip pouch, and bayonet.
FWIW the only one of these items that you really need is the bolt takedown tool aka multi-tool; it's the teardrop-shaped doodad with 4 notches cut in one side. It's needed to check the firing pin protrusion by centering the bolt head in one of the middle two notches. One notch is minimum depth, which the firing pin should touch, and the other notch is maximum depth, which the firing pin should not touch. One of the outer notches doubles as a firing pin wrench for making adjustments, and the pointy end of the teardrop is a screwdriver.

This tool and a block of hardwood are the only tools you really need to fieldstrip the rifle and bolt, although I prefer to use proper screwdrivers for disassembly because the multi-tool screwdriver doesn't fit perfectly in any particular screw on the gun. Instead it fits all of them badly. Evidently the Soviets didn't care if their troops buggered up the screws on their rifles.

FWIW if you're wondering how troops were supposed to use the funny-looking cleaning jag, it's meant to have a loop of hemp or sisal twine threaded through the hole and then wrapped around the jag.
Old February 27, 2009, 04:10 PM   #13
Sulaco2

What about Head Space on these Old Warriors??

I always have to wonder about the head spacing on these old imports, most are WWII era and older. Asked a dealer one time if the MN's he was selling had been safety head spaced...he looked at me like I had two heads and then mumbled something about thinking they must have been at "some time".

I had a Mauser 8mm german rifle that (TG) I had head spaced prior to shooting. Thing might have blown up had I not had the chamber reset after seeing the headspace guage disappear when the bolt closed over it!!
May have to invest in a guage just for me, cheep insurance to keep your face where you normally do...
Old February 28, 2009, 12:26 AM   #14
MagicMan

How bad does one need 1 of the micro click sights & how would I go about adding a scopt if I wanted to?
Old February 28, 2009, 11:06 AM   #15
jhenry

You don't need anything except the issue sights but some folks do enjoy home gunsmithing the Mosins. No harm in it but the issue sights are pretty good once you have them dialed in, much better in my estimation than any issue Mauser sight. Much easier to aquire a good picture. I have not scoped any of mine so I have no first hand experience there. Asking questions on Surplus Rifle dot com will get you a pretty good answer to just about anything.
Old March 1, 2009, 04:04 PM   #16
ksstargazer

AIM Surplus usually has the best deals on 7.62x54 ammo.