The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 11, 2008, 03:48 PM   #1
mikenbarb

Bolt hole dimension on Enfield and Springfield?.

Can anyone tell me what the hole spread is for an Enfield and a Springfield 1903. Im looking at a stock and seems to be military sporterized with a 7 3/4 center to center with the front bolt being alot larger than the back. Thanks in advance.
Old July 11, 2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Wleoff

I assume that you mean the distance between the two bolts that mount the receiver to the stock from the stock bottom. Just with a tape, I get 7 5/8" on my 1903. I only see one bolt that attaches from the bottom of the stock on the No. 4 Enfield that I have. May be different with a No. 1 Enfleid or with the stock off. Guessing on just the spacing, I would say that it is a 1903 or 1903A3 stock.
Old July 11, 2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Wleoff

Also the No.4 and No.1 Enfield stocks are two piece stocks with the butt stock separate from the forearm.
Old July 11, 2008, 08:48 PM   #4
mikenbarb

Its weird, It looks like some kind of old military action will fit it but not sure what one. Its an unfinished stock thats supposed to be a bishop or Herters custom. But it definatly has a 7 3/4 space from center to center of the holes. And it has a cutout magazine like a BDL. The center of the rear bolt is 3" from the rear edge of the magazine cutout and the magazine cutout is tapered from 1" to 1 1/16" and its 3 5/8 long. The front bolt is larger than the rear and has an oval cutout area around it like something goes into it with the bolt.