The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 27, 2016, 11:36 AM   #26
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Well, 44 AMP, now that you put it that way, it very well is interrelated. Your, and others, assertions make a solid case against BIDS.

I just wish there was a way to get rid of background checks altogether.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 27, 2016, 04:40 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

My biggest gripe with the current system (other than the everpresent possibility of me being mis-identified by the system) is the fact that the government virtually refuses to prosecute prohibited people who are breaking the law trying to buy a gun through legal channels.

I don't see how you can be denied by NICS without ALSO having lied on the 4473, which I believe is a crime.

When the Vice President, waves this matter off with a joking "we don't have time for that" (I saw the footage, he was directly asked about it, and that was his response), how can the rest of us NOT feel the background check is a burdensome imposition without real benefit??

Personally, I think the same purpose (keeping prohibited persons from buying through a dealer) could be done simply by marking their ID. Driver's license or whatever. Its already a crime to use false ID, do you think a computer check is going to find the false ID?? I think it might not. Isn't it possible that the system simply finds nothing (because it is a false ID) and, finding nothing, approves the sale??

I honestly don't know, but I do wonder if just putting a code on the driver's license might not be much, much cheaper and just as actually effective??
Old March 27, 2016, 06:51 PM   #28
Hunter Customs

Here's one for ya, my brother purchased a handgun from me, called NICS the sale was approved that fast.
Called in a sale of a long gun for him the sale was delayed for the full three days.
This happened on three long guns so I ask NICS what he could do to correct the problem, I was told there's nothing he could do because he was not denied.

Personally I see no purpose in the checks, they already proved they do not stop someone that's determined to kill someone.
It does not even stop a prohibited person from acquiring a gun in Missouri, prohibited people can go to any farm auction in Missouri that has guns for sale and purchase a gun no paper work at all.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old March 27, 2016, 11:26 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I ask NICS what he could do to correct the problem, I was told there's nothing he could do because he was not denied.
You should talk to someone else at NICS, or rather HE should. A few years ago friend of mine had a delay a couple times, (hours not days) and he went through channels about it. Turned out his file was "flagged", and that was all the operator could tell, they had to get the supervisor to check why it was flagged.

It was flagged because he had a Q level clearance! Apparently, they put a "this is a good guy" note or something on his file, as it hasn't happened since.
Old March 28, 2016, 08:35 AM   #30
dogtown tom

Quote:
44 AMP
Quote:
Quote:
I ask NICS what he could do to correct the problem, I was told there's nothing he could do because he was not denied.
You should talk to someone else at NICS, or rather HE should.
As Hunter Customs said, NICS will not tell ANYONE the reasons for a delay. They will not tell the dealer the reason for a denial either. Yhis is part of the Federal Brady Law.

Quote:
A few years ago friend of mine had a delay a couple times, (hours not days) and he went through channels about it. Turned out his file was "flagged", and that was all the operator could tell, they had to get the supervisor to check why it was flagged.
He's pulling your leg.

Quote:
It was flagged because he had a Q level clearance! Apparently, they put a "this is a good guy" note or something on his file, as it hasn't happened since.
Q level clearance means absolutely nothing. When someone gets a NICS delay, it just means the FBI needs additional time to research the buyers name and records.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 16, 2016, 01:36 PM   #31
Hal

Quote:
Hal, I get your point about BIDS having to retain a database and NICS required to destroy/delete the info.

My counterpoint is, how do we know without a doubt that information is being deleted.
Shane - sorry I took so long to get back to this.

Point is with a relational database & it's management system, it doesn't matter if information is deleted or not - as long as normal standard best practices are followed.
Primary one being - - proper backups.

It's not only possible that with NICS, point in time back/restore methods are being done, since that's the defacto standard best practice with not only Microsoft SQL, but Oracle and DB2 also. Those are the three that a government agency would use.
I don't believe any of the open source database engines are FIPS compliant (Federal Information Processing).

Anyhow it's difficult to explain & still not get so detailed it bores one to tears with more detail about a database engine than you want to know.

The main point is - - since the entire database can be recreated at any point in it's entire existence, then it makes no difference what's deleted at allor even when it's deleted.

If you bought a gun on December 23rd, 2004 @ 4:30 PM and it was called into NICS - - all anyone has to do is get out the backups and restore the database to December 23rd or December 24th - any time after the NICS call at 4:30 on the 23rd and before 4:30 on the 24th.

Since it's not live data, there's no violation.