The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 23, 2012, 02:54 PM   #1
RedWhiteBlackYellow

10/22 owners please read this!!!

I just picked up a 10/22 carbine today and need some advice from people with experience! Heres what i need to know: What kind of ammo works best in them? I have heard that youre not supposed to use cci stingers in them, is that true?! What kind of oil and cleaners work best in it? How far do i need to take it down to give it a good cleaning? What kind of mods can i do to it other then just changing the stock and bull barrels? And, if theres any tricks or problem solvers you might know of for problems i might run into would help alot. Il post pics of it in a little while. Thanks to anyone who can help!
Old January 23, 2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Pahoo

Seak and Ye shall find !!

Red,
Do a history check in here as you will find a wealth of information; Some good and some still pretty good.

Quote:
I have heard that youre not supposed to use cci stingers in them
Have not heard this and as for me, I mostly use CCI mini-mags and Winchester Super-X. As far as what is best, for your rifle, try different brands and see what it likes. These 10/22's will usually eat about anything you feed it. i's shy away from Remington Thunderbolts and for the most part, any bulk ammo. I've had serious problems with Federal Bulk paks.

As far as cleaning; for now, just swab the bore and put off a total tear-down for quite awhile, say 500rnds.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 23, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:01 PM   #3
RedWhiteBlackYellow

Ok pahoo, will do. Thanks!
Old January 23, 2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Catalyst

You will be best served doing the research suggested above, but to get you started...

I shoot cheap federal "American Eagle" through it all day long.
Wolf Match grade when you're feeling sporty.

A good trigger job on it will be a very cost effective way to improve accuracy.

AVOID the aftermarket 25round clips... they are junk. Ruger finally makes their own high capacity clips that are awesome if 10round factory isn't enough for you.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:11 PM   #5
aarondhgraham

I remember all kinds of debate over Stingers,,,

It isn't because of their higher pressure,,,
The debate was over the slightly longer case length.

Something about it not extracting well in some semi-autos.

I wish I could remember what magazine I read it in,,,
Some dentist office if I recall that much.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 23, 2012, 03:22 PM   #6
RedWhiteBlackYellow

I did notice that the casing is longer then others on the stingers. I might try them out and see if they work in mine. and i wouldnt use thunder bolts if they were 50 cents for a box of 50.... Not worth it still.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:24 PM   #7
RedWhiteBlackYellow

And yes i have heard about the crappy extended mags. Im definitly buying one or two of those bx25's!
Old January 23, 2012, 03:29 PM   #8
Maddog_Enigma

Absolutely awesome performance with CCI stingers all around, and that's coming from a guy who has owned 4 different 10/22s.

However, in a MATCH CHAMBERED BARRELL, such as in the target version(s) of the gun, the stingers are a no-no due to the longer case length, not because of the higher pressure.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:31 PM   #9
waterboy68

I've never had issues with any copper plated bullets, and most lead bullets have done just fine with the exception of the Remington brand. For some reason the remington "Lightning" have always jammed in mine. Not sure if they even make it any more. I really think it was just a matter of having too much wax on the lead bullets. They worked fine until the barrel warmed up and then things would just get all gummed up and stop feeding properly.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:32 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

First of all:
Read the Owner's Manual.
There's important information in there. (And at least one of your questions would have been answered by it.)

Then, ask your other questions here.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:43 PM   #11
RedWhiteBlackYellow

I plan on keeping this ones barrel as is, and it is the carbine version so i guess i dont need to worry about the stingers?!

It didnot come with owners manual; i bought it used.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:52 PM   #12
RedWhiteBlackYellow

here's my new (used) 10/22 and my marlin model 60.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1022andm60.jpg (114.4 KB, 94 views)
Old January 23, 2012, 03:55 PM   #13
L_Killkenny

In a standard 10/22 chamber Stingers are fine but they're also one of the most ill conceived .22lr ammo ever produced. The light bullet combined with fast speed is more destructive on small game but that's only if you can hit what you aim at. The same attributes that make it more destructive also give it less than stellar accuracy in a vast majority of .22 rifles. Basically it's a ammo that CCI counts on people that are impressed with numbers to buy for if you actually check their accuracy in your gun chances are about 100 to 1 it will be poor to outright crappy.

As for the 10/22........ Mine have all preferred MiniMags and Velocitors when it comes to hunting grade ammo. Bulk plinkin ammo will be slightly less reliable and less accurate but what the heck, you're plinkin right. Not life or death. Target ammo is irrelevant for it's not a target gun........yet.

The vast majority of 10/22's are very reliable outta the box. I always recommend a Volquartzen target hammer as a first mod along with some work to free float the barrel.

Other than that stop putting so much dang thought into it and go shoot it.

LK
Old January 23, 2012, 04:08 PM   #14
RedWhiteBlackYellow

thanks for the info L_Killkenny! what does that hammer do that the regular stock one doesn't?
Old January 23, 2012, 04:10 PM   #15
L_Killkenny

Lightens the trigger pull to about 2.5lbs. Stock it's more than likely 6 or 7 or worse.

LK
Old January 23, 2012, 04:13 PM   #16
Fishbed77

To the OP,

Rimfirecentral.com has all your answers.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:16 PM   #17
wingman

Quote:
I plan on keeping this ones barrel as is, and it is the carbine version so i guess i dont need to worry about the stingers?!

It didnot come with owners manual; i bought it used.
Ruger will send you a manual or perhaps they may have a down load on there website.

I have 2 10/22'2, one I added a bull barrel, Boyd stock had trigger/ bolt reworked by Randy at CPC. Unbelievable performance.

I use Aquila match or wolf match when shooting for groups otherwise most any ammo does fine.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:26 PM   #18
RedWhiteBlackYellow

Well i will definitly look more into changing the inside before i go and spend $100+ on things that just make it "look nice".... Thanks for all the advice guys. It helps a lot.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:34 PM   #19
MrDontPlay

Mine will eat anything including stingers. When shooting for accuracy I use wolf match target, for hunting I use mini mags. For plinking I'd suggest CCI blazers, but I use what ever they have at the store.

Power customs hammer and sear kit is a good start for mods.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:35 PM   #20
stu925

http://www.ruger.com/service/product.../RI-10-22.html
That link will take you to the download page for the 10/22 manual and also the product history so you can figure out the year of production of your 10/22. They are great rifles, I have one that is now 42 years old (produced 1970) that still shoots pretty well. Enjoy the new rifle.

Stu
Old January 23, 2012, 04:38 PM   #21
barnetmill

Mine seems to eat anything, but I have not tried stingers. My gun while reliable is inaccurate and the cure for that could be a better barrel. To make my gun reliable with the extended magazine I loosened the barrel attachment mechnaism and centered the barrel. Once it was aligned with the mag I tightened it up for function all has been well.
Old January 23, 2012, 07:32 PM   #22
Tim R

Hey Red & Yellow and,Black & Blue, Your Marlin 60 looks like a pretty fancy one.
Old January 23, 2012, 07:37 PM   #23
RedWhiteBlackYellow

Hey tim, my marlin is great too. Just having feed throat problems.... And still going back and forth with myself about keeping or selling it.
Old January 23, 2012, 07:42 PM   #24
Aiko

For plinking Federal bulk pack is fine in my 10/22. If I want a bit more accuracy the CCI Mini Mags or even Blazers are much more accurate. There are more accurate match loads out there but it does not make sense to spend the $$ out of my stock 1983 Sport. I get 1 1/2" groups @ 50 yards with Mini Mags from the bench on most good groups, 3" max.
Old January 24, 2012, 12:09 AM   #25
golfnutrlv

My 10/22 has a heavy match barrel. Can't shoot stingers in my barrel. Had no issued with them in my factory barrel before I changed it. Honestly though, MiniMag Hollow point is just as effective on rodents (trust me, they work).

Overall, my gun shoots Mini Mag round nose the best, with the lead Blazer cheap stuff being a very close second. Close enough to run it for groups.

Ideally, find a round that is accurate, reliable, and cheap. You have to try several, so be willing to pay a little for less headache later.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Tags
.22lr , 10/22 , carbine , rifle , ruger