The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 19, 2012, 10:33 PM   #51
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Attachment 84349 Can't wait to see what this one's going to cost me per pound. Two more weeks to wait is all. I noticed that old pointy finger tip on my right hand is getting kind of itchy of late._

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; November 18, 2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old October 22, 2012, 03:35 PM   #52
CCCLVII

If your worried about cost per LBS for hunted game you may have the wrong hobby...
Old October 22, 2012, 06:31 PM   #53
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
If your worried about cost per LBS for hunted game you may have the wrong hobby
I believe I said curious as> to the cost. Never have I ever worried >about the cost. _
Old October 22, 2012, 07:49 PM   #54
sc928porsche

Whew..........at least I dont have to add on the price of a guide. Transportation... yes. Out of state tags and license... yes, Food... yes, For camping, all I have to bring is my sleeping bag, rifle, ammo, and clothes thanks to relatives. And then there is shipping the meat once buchered.

On local hunts, its just fuel and ammo. Im 65 so license and tags are free.
Old October 22, 2012, 08:52 PM   #55
shortwave

Quote:
If your worried about cost per LBS for hunted game you may have the wrong hobby...
I don't think anyone here is worried about the cost per lb. when hunting or fishing.
Old October 22, 2012, 09:18 PM   #56
Chaz88

I am just spit balling but I would guess the, maybe, one pound duck we got today cost about $120. Hopefully more will come before the end of the season and that will spread the cost some. But if not it was more than worth it, especially getting to see my daughter take it upon herself to slog into the water and mud to retrieve it before I could stop her. It was the only one we saw today but it might as well have filled both of our limits, as happy as she was that we got one.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 22, 2012, 11:10 PM   #57
nazshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman View Post
Don't sweat it. Women and race cars are a helluva lot more expensive. '.
If you're paing for women by the pound you're doing it wrong

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old October 23, 2012, 07:57 AM   #58
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Twelve minuets difference in time crossing past the camera between this one and his older brother. Yup another candidate roaming around where He shouldn't be. (Oops!! correction: Where He should be_)
Old October 23, 2012, 08:44 AM   #59
shortwave

Sounds like you've got these two dialed in Sure Shot.

I can see the wheels turning....

....where's the best place to set up to ambush one of these guys... which way does the wind usually come from...how can I enter this area without leaving scent or getting busted....

Been there done that!

Good luck and hope you score.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:58 AM   #60
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Yep it is tough to sneak in there without being seen or scented. A good snort or whistle in the early Am or evening darkness is just the thing we need to perk up that old hearts a pound'in.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; October 23, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old October 23, 2012, 05:09 PM   #61
sc outdoorsman

The land we hunt is a friend of my Dad's he is gracious enough to let us hunt for some meat if we get anything. The land has been in the family for generations.
We put up stands over the years with no new ones this year. I spent $50 on seed and fertilizer. I figure license is a wash because I get combo license to fish as well. The biggest expenses for me is time and gas. The hunt site is 40 miles one way from my house. Three of us hunt 120 acres so all the road clearing, planting, shooting lanes cleared, stand repair, stand moving is done by mostly me and my Dad. A lot of time is involved, and I really cherish the time spent with him and my Son. The hunting part of it is what we do all the work for and that is another of the big rewards, so far this year we have taken 4 deer between us and let a few others walk.
I really try not to think of the money involved per pound. If we were to hunt a club or lease the average around here is probably about $800 a year or $1600 for me and Dad before we would even start to hunt. I think we come out way ahead if I figure it that way.

Last edited by sc outdoorsman; October 23, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old October 23, 2012, 05:54 PM   #62
kraigwy

I figure it a bit different.

I hunted on public land so that don't cost nothing. I did spend a hair less then $100 to fill up my truck with diesel. One bottle of propane to cook and keep warm, $20.. I raided the pantry for food. I would have ate that anyway. $50 bucks for the elk tag.

I can't count the cost of the rifle since I've had it for just short of 40 years.

At the most I have $1 in ammo (I reload). I do my own butchering. I figure I have 450 lbs of elk meat. I cut most of that, say 300 lbs in steaks, thats about $1200. The rest in hamberger @ 3.50 per lbs is $525.

Thats $1725 wife says we don't have to spend for meat this winter.

If you figure cost per lbs. that would be $171 for the elk or a profit of $1554.

Don't figure why I should include the cost of my property, it had nothing to do with the elk hunt. My truck is paid for. I paid for my camper/horse trailer over the years by not spending money on motels.

My horse earned his keep many times over so I don't inclue him either. I'm retired so it dosn't cost me any more to set on a mountain then it does to set at home. Except what was listed I didn't buy anything special for the trip.

I didn't figure my antelope, but that was only a few miles from the house and besides the bullet, a couple gallons of fuel, coffee I made on site, and a can of chili I stole from the pantry, that antelope didn't cost that much.

Hadn't went deer hunting. Might shoot one in the back yard if they don't stop eating my hay. Then I'm only out the price of the tag and bullet.

Not really sure if I should count the cost of the bullets though, I'd shoot then up anyway just for the fun of it.

No Sir, its just how you figure it. Cheaper then setting on a bar stool all day.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 30, 2012, 03:01 PM   #63
od green

There's a funny youtube video about the cost of deer hunting but it won't let copy the link.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:31 PM   #64
wayneinFL

I can't imagine I spend that much on it. I bought the lifetime license a while back. I hunt on public land. I have gas getting there, don't generally go more than 30 miles to hunt. I usually hunt with a $120 shotgun with a box of 00 buck.

I spent far more when I shot IPSC regularly. And the only thing I ever brought home was an occasional turkey.