The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 31, 2012, 08:33 PM   #1
RabbitBane

Which .50BMG is the most accurate at long range?

I have been wanting to get into long distance shooting for a while and after trying to decide between .50 and .338 lapua, I have decided on a .50. So which one is the most accurate at the longest range? Price would be no object at all and ultimate accuracy would be my main goal. I was looking at the Barrett m107a1 for a while after seeing one at a range, but The m99 would probably be more accurate because it is a bolt action and its a lot cheaper too. A friend of mine own a McMillan Tac 50 and I wonder how that would compare to the Barrett rifles at long ranges? I know that no matter which one I get it will most likely outshoot me, but I was just wondering which has the ability to perform the best.

Last edited by RabbitBane; October 31, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Polinese

Are you starting with a 50 or have you done medium and long range shooting with other rifles/calibers?
Old October 31, 2012, 09:56 PM   #3
RabbitBane

If you are asking if this will be my first gun, the answer is no. My current rifles are an AK by arsenal, a spikes tactical ar-15, A weatherby .270,
Ruger no. 1 in 45-70, and a .308 springfield M1a that I have done some "long range shooting" (though not .50 bmg range of course) with. I have also shot my friends Tac 50 a couple of times as well.
Old October 31, 2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Jimro

Any of the bolt actions would be fine, the McMillan gets the nod from SOCOM in the Mk15 configuration. Although when SOCOM was testing long range sniper rifles they used a doppler radar to track the projectiles, the .50 (with standard ball ammo) starts destabilizing around 1,400 meters (the same range that the 408 Cheytac started destabilizing with its custom 419gr bullet).

I don't know if they tested Hornady's 750gr Amax in the .50, so I can't comment on stability of that bullet in the transonic zone.

If I had the money, I'd get the Barrett M82A1, because it is lighter than the others and I'm not a fan of humping heavy things any further than I have to. For accuracy I'd go McMillan.

Jimro
Old October 31, 2012, 10:23 PM   #5
RabbitBane

What exactly is the mk15 configuration? According to Wikipedia the original version is designated as the C15. The only variants I could find info on we're the A1 and the A1-R2.
Old October 31, 2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Creeper

Quote:
What exactly is the mk15 configuration? According to Wikipedia the original version is designated as the C15. The only variants I could find info on we're the A1 and the A1-R2.
C15 is Canadian. Go to the McMillan site for info on the 3 TAC-50 variations.

C
Old October 31, 2012, 11:08 PM   #7
RabbitBane

Thanks for the info
Old November 1, 2012, 10:43 AM   #8
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have shot most 50 BMG rifles that are readily available in the US. I own a Bushmaster BA50. You are right the bolt guns have better accuracy. The McMillan Tac50 and the Sig Sauer 50 are two of the best. The M99 Barrett is a great choice for it's price. I shoot hand loaded AMAX's and Barnes Turned brass. These both seem to give me the best accuracy. I picked the Bushmaster due to experience I had with it. I had shot a friends quite a bit and loved it. Due to the barrel and design of the system it is a sub MOA rifle. The semi auto Barretts are great rifles, but they will only achieve 1.5-2.5 MOA. the M99 can do way better than this, especially with some handloads. I would definitely choose the Sig or Tac50 if it were me. They really are the cream of the crop as far as bolt 50's. Please if I can help with any questions feel free to ask or send me a message.

..." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by CharlieDeltaJuliet; November 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:51 PM   #9
RabbitBane

Wow, thank you for the information and that is a beautiful gun you have there. I guess i will probably get a mcmillan.

Does anyone know if there are any cons to getting the recoil reduced A1-R2 version over the standard Tac- 50? Any accuracy difference, reports of parts breaking, etc?
Old November 2, 2012, 08:17 AM   #10
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Thank you sir. From what I have learned both versions are equally as reliable. You will be very happy with the Tac50. It is honestly my favorite 50 BMG made. It's recoil is not very bad at all. Have you given much thought to the glass you are going to put on it? The one I shot had a USO SN-3 5-25 on it and it just made the rifle shine that much more. As far as the 50's go, the best glass I have found are the S&B's,USO's, Leupold Mk4's and the Bushnell Elite Tactical's. all of these stand the "two stage" recoil of a 50.

You know you are going to have to post a picture or two so I can drool.. Enjoy that 50.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old November 2, 2012, 11:00 PM   #11
50 shooter

Forget the Sig .50, its a Tac-50 with Sig's name on it and a couple grand added to the price.

Take a look at the EDM Arms M96 Windrunner, its more then the Tac-50 but just as accurate. Plus you can break it down into a 30" package, easy to store and move. If you want great accuracy that won't break the bank, look at State Arms/Eastridge Guns. Slap a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56mm and you'll be hitting 1000 yards all day long with ease.

If you're still budget minded look at the AR-50 in standard or National Match version. The AR-50 is probably the most popular .50 BMG off the shelf rifle and probably out sells all others 2 to 1.
No time for rearranging.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:04 AM   #12
CharlieDeltaJuliet

See my advice was based off of his first post, where money is no object. If that is the case than a Tac-50 with a USO or S&B on top will be hard to beat. The Sig is the same action but just about 3 lbs lighter than the Tac50. The Sig is made by McMillan, but the differences between the two other than weight is cosmetic. My Bushmaster shoots as good as the Tac-50, AR-50 or any other commercial 50bmg out there, but weight is its only downfall(34lbs w/full magazine). The only reason I picked it is the recoil factor(lowest recoil I have found) and it still incorperates a magazine (10round). Another great rifle is the Accuracy International 50. The downfall to these is there are limited places that stock them. Any of these mentioned in this thread are great rifles. The main thing is to find the one that suits yours needs.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old November 3, 2012, 12:13 PM   #13
tobnpr

If you want the most accuracy, build one off the McM or BAT single shot action.
For a repeater, the Tac-50 or the AI AX-50:
http://www.accuracyinternational.com/ax50.php
Old November 3, 2012, 03:46 PM   #14
RabbitBane

I was thinking about getting a night force scope to put on it. My friend has a 5.5-22X56 Mil dot, but there are also Night Force 8-32x56mm and 12-42x56mm Mil Dot versions, it might be nice to have the extra magnification for longer ranges. Do the night force scopes compare to the USO or Lepy ones? Again money won't really be an object, theres no point in buying an expensive rifle and putting cheap glass on it.

Last edited by RabbitBane; November 3, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old November 3, 2012, 05:04 PM   #15
CharlieDeltaJuliet

In my opinion the NF is better than the Leupolds and close to USO or S&B. you will be fine with a NF. There is nothing at all wrong with them.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old November 3, 2012, 11:29 PM   #16
50 shooter

Walk the line at any FCSA match and you'll see that NF scopes are the dominant scopes used buy the shooters. After that its Leupold scopes and then other brands fill in the rest of the line. For the money its hard to beat what NF offers in their line up.

As for the AI .50 BMG, I would like to have one but at $12K+ without glass... I'll pass and get something better at a lower price. Before you go spending ALOT of money do your homework, when it comes to .50's higher price doesn't always mean better.
No time for rearranging.
Old November 4, 2012, 01:03 AM   #17
CharlieDeltaJuliet

No, I totally agree. The Barrett 107 and 82 are great rifles but not as accurate as even the AR50. They do however allow for a putting numerous shots downrange fast... I am not knocking NF scopes, just saying that USO and S&B are slightly better IMHO. Most shooters don't want to drop $3500+ on a scope. March and Premier make great scopes too, but I have never had one on a 50. I know he will be happy with the NF, I just personally would not pick them over the others I mentioned. I never liked the adjustment knobs, and the last one I had went back twice because you could not feel the click when adjusting. It wasn't wore, just overlooked by Q&A.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old November 4, 2012, 01:12 PM   #18
RabbitBane

Actually, after a bit of research online march seems to make the best high magnification ffp scopes( prefer ffp over sfp), but I have no idea where I could buy one. I saw some reviews by a guy who had one on a .50 and he seemed happy with it. Also, about how much are march scopes? Like I said, money isn't really an object but I cant find a price listing anywhere. The 5-40x56 ffp seems like it would have a good magnification range for a .50
Old December 2, 2012, 12:46 PM   #19
.243 Jake

ive heard good things about the mcmillan, and its probably best for the price. if price is not a problem, go with accuracy internationals AX-50
Old December 2, 2012, 01:32 PM   #20
BerdanSS

Vote for the Tac 50 if your serious about just shooting a .50 BMG. The M82 gets the vote jaw dropping uber shock and awe cool factor when you pull it out at the range.

<EDIT>For something lighter, take a look at the 30-338 and the .408 cheytac rounds also.

Last edited by BerdanSS; December 2, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:56 PM   #21
RC20

I am voting for the 338 Lapua!

Those 50s must take half a pound of powder for one shot!

Have to wonder what the long term cost break is (more in fired ammo than in the gun)

Not as much boom of course.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:15 AM   #22
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Believe it or not my 50bmg doesn't cost a great deal to shoot. I can buy factory loaded Federal American Eagle for under $2.80 each (since recent price increase). I use 224gr. of powder for standard ball ammo in my handloads. If I am plinking, I shoot ball ammo. I can get cost down to a tad over $1.17 a shot by handloading. I load my own AMAX or Barnes (turned brass)for accuracy(of course they cost a little more ...lol). I buy factory loaded AMAX for $52 a box (same place as my ball ammo). While I love shooting my .338, the 50 works better for putting a smile on my face...lol.
..." - Thomas Jefferson