The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 8, 2022, 08:11 AM   #1
jdc606

percussion caps?

Anybody seeing percussion caps for sale in local stores? Meaning revolver caps like CCI #11's. Our local farm supply store has an empty space marked $8.99 but the clerk I asked said they haven't seen any in a year.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:12 AM   #2
noelf2

Yeah they are scarce. Many have taken up making their own. Primers are scarce and expensive as well but are coming back around slowly, so things may be turning around for caps soon too.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:12 AM   #3
Pahoo

Yes, but limited

Quote:
Anybody seeing percussion caps for sale in local stores?
That would be Gun stores or ""some" sporting goods stores and yes, I'm seeing some but mostly #10 for cap and ball revolvers. I mostly shoot #11's. and for now, I'm covered pretty well. I am not aware of internet availability, .....

https://www.scheels.com/p/winchester...089230032.html

Be Safe !!!
Old May 8, 2022, 01:37 PM   #4
Hawg

LGS has CCI #11 caps.
Old May 8, 2022, 02:42 PM   #5
jdc606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
I have switched my Pietta revolvers to Slixshot nipples. I know #10 Rems, #11 CCI, and RWS 1075 fit but #10 CCI are way too small. Any info on the sizing of the Win #11?
Old May 8, 2022, 04:09 PM   #6
Pahoo

Well, hope this helps but you may want to do some homework

Quote:
Any info on the sizing of the Win #11?
Well you really slowed me down on this one and had to go to my archives. As far as the actual size of the Winchesters, I'd have to measure one. But my old reference indicates the following;

#10 Alcan; inside diameter of .167, .178 Length
#11 Winchester; .175, .200 "

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 8, 2022 at 04:14 PM.
Old May 8, 2022, 05:35 PM   #7
gwpercle

When I could no longer get pistol primers ... I started shooting my black powder cap & ball revolvers ... now percussion caps are getting hard to find .
I have a Bear Polar LTD compound bow ... and a arrow making fletching jig ...
I guess the next "shortage" will be cedar shafts !!!
These shortages are getting ridiculous ... I don't mind the Chitterling and Pickled Pigs Lips shortages too much ... but enough is enough !
Gary
Old May 8, 2022, 05:42 PM   #8
jdc606

Quote:

#10 Alcan; inside diameter of .167, .178 Length
#11 Winchester; .175, .200 "

Be Safe !!!
Thank you Pahoo,
The Slixshots measure .165 with no taper, Pieta nipples measure .158 to .171 I believe the Rem #10's worked due more to skirt length than diameter. Looks like maybe even Win #10's would be worth a try if there is such a thing.
Old May 8, 2022, 05:49 PM   #9
jdc606

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
These shortages are getting ridiculous ... I don't mind the Chitterling and Pickled Pigs Lips shortages too much ... but enough is enough !
Gary
Gary, I feel your pain. I'm down to 350 percussion caps. Even went to Wally World and bought a pack of those red ring caps for toy guns, just in case. Beyond that, I'm getting into pellet rifles. That's a whole nuther accuracy rabbit hole to chase.
Old May 8, 2022, 07:20 PM   #10
Hellgate

I believe the Winchester caps are made by CCI or, at least are the same sizes as the CCI's.
The SlixShot nipples will take RWS 1075, Remington #10s and CCI #11 caps.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old May 9, 2022, 10:40 AM   #11
Pahoo

"We will always be shooters.

Quote:
but enough is enough ! Gary

I would quote; Sitting Bull;

Quote:
"When all the buffalo are gone and there is nothing left to hunt but mice; We shall become hunters of mice, for we are "Hunters"
I started out by making sling-shots out of tree branches and innertubes, I became pretty good and took many squirrels and rabbits. As far as Cedar-shafts, been there as well and use to buy them in bundles of 100."We will always be shooters.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 10, 2022, 10:06 PM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

A year or two back I changed most of my side-lock nipples to Mag Spark 209 nipples. Can find 209 shot shell primers easier than #11 primers. Only rifle that didn't qualify. A T/c Hawken 45 cal. 209 ignition is a bit too much for my 45.
P.S: Only shopping benefit up in my neck of the woods Track & Ballistic Products are close by.
Old May 11, 2022, 01:45 AM   #13
armoredman

Last time I found caps they were $25 per 100. Since it was all I could find, I bought 'em.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:27 AM   #14
darkgael

Time to go to flintlocks.
Old May 12, 2022, 11:46 AM   #15
gwpercle

Quote:
I would quote; Sitting Bull;

I started out by making sling-shots out of tree branches and innertubes, I became pretty good and took many squirrels and rabbits. As far as Cedar-shafts, been there as well and use to buy them in bundles of 100."We will always be shooters.

Be Safe !!!
Do you know if they still make inner tubes ... or is there a shortage !!!

My first "shooter" was a forked tree limb , inner tube and the tounge out of old leather shoe to hold the "rock" .... I shot my little brother in the bee hind when he bent over at the end of the drive way ( I couldn't resist taking that shot) ...he was 75 feet away ... I had no Idea I could actually hit anything 75 feet away ... that little sucker went crying to daddy ... he took it away from me and I got "The Lecture" ... a whippin hurt less , my old man could lecture a kid into a slow death by talking and talking ... made you feel lower than a earth worm .

Thanks for reminding me of my first "Shooter " ... and that long range but shot I made !

This has got me to thinking about how much fun a Red Ryder lever action BB gun is ... I bet they still make them ... catch the bb's in a cardboard box stuffed w/ newspaper BB trap and shoot them again
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; May 12, 2022 at 11:53 AM.
Old May 12, 2022, 12:13 PM   #16
Pahoo

Yes, even better

Quote:
Do you know if they still make inner tubes ... or is there a shortage !!!
They do but there is better synthetic elastomer tubing out there that I use and eventually you have to replace. .....

Be safe !!!
Old May 28, 2022, 09:35 PM   #17
Deltadart

You might start with the book " Like Fire and Powder" by Brett Gibbons on powder, Sharpshooter 22LR Reloader for the cap making kit. The caps are corrosive, so the residue needs to be cleaned soon. Without an explosive license it is difficult to acquire the chemicals needed to make noncorrosive compounds. Some folks use brass strip .005 thick to make the caps from rather than beer can aluminum.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:42 PM   #18
Hawg

Quote:
They do but there is better synthetic elastomer tubing out there that I use and eventually you have to replace. .....

Be safe !!!
Inner tubes of today aren't like they used to be. They won't stretch enough to use for slingshots. Surgical tubing is the best thing.
Old June 5, 2022, 08:36 PM   #19
5whiskey

If nothing else, I have a lgs that has almost everything in stock. For a price. Often for a price I'm not willing to pay (have to buy 5 pounds of powder @ $60 a pound to be eligible to buy primers at $120 a brick!). That same lgs probably stocked up on 200k percussion caps back in September 2020. I think they went that route because primers got real scarce. I saw the price go from 6 bucks a tin of 100, to 10, then 15, then 20, and now we're back down to 10 bucks a tin. I guess demand just wasn't there at the higher prices. I bought a bunch at 6 a tin, more at 10 dollars. I guess I should buy more now that the price has fallen.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946