The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 13, 2021, 10:49 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Red Dot Suggestions

Hello everyone.... before posting here I was reading and looking at different videos about this subject. Also depending on my needs, I may get different suggestions. I don't have red dots as I don't have much in my collection and have scopes.

I got an AR Pistol 9mm. With that said, do plan to carry with me (responsibly) and to use at range. Did read that tube limits field of view. Was looking at the Sig Sauer Romeo 7 at first but after reading not so sure I am that interested in that any more.

So I was looking at the Holosun 510c after reading positive things. A bit more than what I wanted to spend as mentioned before was going to buy the Romeo 7, specially as it is a price where I can spend.

Hopefully I can get schooled and learn something from you guys. What do you guys suggest or are currently using? Do have limited funds unfortunately.

Thank you in advanced.
Old December 14, 2021, 01:52 AM   #2
armoredman

I am a poor boy so I am very happy with my SIG Romeo5. Best value for the money I've found yet.
Old December 14, 2021, 02:22 AM   #3
ninosdemente

How do you like it? Do you have any difficulties compared to other types?
Old December 14, 2021, 04:48 AM   #4
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
I am a poor boy so I am very happy with my SIG Romeo5. Best value for the money I've found yet.

Good dot, auto-on, great battery life. What’s not to like.
Old December 14, 2021, 08:59 PM   #5
armoredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente
How do you like it? Do you have any difficulties compared to other types?
Love it, the shake awake is great, and it's very easy to see the dot. The battery life is great. It is simple. effective and cheap.
Old December 14, 2021, 09:11 PM   #6
Screwball

The SIG Romeo5 is my go to red dot… as in I have five on various rifles/pistols. Solid red dot, decent price, as works. If it doesn’t work, SIG will replace it.

I was looking at that MSR, which is a little cheaper… but the auto on/off is worth the difference.

Holosun… SIG is a rebadged Holosun. While I’ve hear a lot of good, felt more comfortable with SIG warranty. Not to mention I live in ME… and NH is literally within a few hour drive.

And this is someone that bought into Aimpoint… two PROs and a CompM4s. The Aimpoint micros… just way too much money. Like the five Romeo5s… I’m around the price of a similar sized Aimpoint.
Old December 16, 2021, 01:19 AM   #7
ninosdemente

Thanks for your input Screwball... I was looking into the Romeo 5 and seems I will stick with it...

Just have to decide which one as I see a couple of different ones online. I saw a couple with just the red dot and one that has the 65 moa circle.
Old December 16, 2021, 09:33 AM   #8
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
Just have to decide which one as I see a couple of different ones online. I saw a couple with just the red dot and one that has the 65 moa circle.
I’d do just the red dot… especially with 9mm.

The 65 MOA circle is nice if you have to figure out range off a human target. If they fit it, about 100 yards. Half the size, 200 yards. Third of the size, 300 yards. Quarter of the size… you get the picture. But it also gives you a reference if you can relate the size to whatever you are looking at (something 32” big will fill it at 50 yards, half at 100, third at 150, quarter at 200).

And you can figure out holds off it. To me, you aren’t really going to utilize any of that with a 9mm AR. Dot on target, and figure to aim a little high as it goes further out. Simplified A LOT, being you want to learn your ballistics in whatever you are shooting at extended ranges.

One benefit of the 65 MOA circle is that you’ll have less of a chance losing it. But I feel a single dot is cleaner/more better in most red dot applications.
Old December 16, 2021, 09:38 AM   #9
MarkCO

Burris FF4 is out now. It is pretty slick with the various choices in reticles and intensities.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/...hts/fastfire-4

I am also a fan of the Holosuns.
Old December 17, 2021, 10:28 PM   #10
bamaranger

go light

After commenting many times that a low powered 1-4x or similar variable was the way for me, I pulled my variable off my AR carbine and put it on a turkey shotgun. Did I get another variable........?

Nope, I ran across a deal on Vortex Strikefire II's, and plunked one on the carbine. Honestly, the jury's still out. For one thing, the Strikefire is too big to suit me, my carbine is to darn heavy already. Though not a tackdriver, I miss the degree of potential precision the variables offered on smallish, varmint type targets. The AR is more of a sporter/varmint/GP rig for me. I'm not kicking any doors and doing entries.

In hindsight, something like a Romeo 5 or a Holosun Micro would suit me better if I were to go the way of the red dot again.
Old December 18, 2021, 07:41 AM   #11
Scrumbag

I like the Burris FF3
Old December 19, 2021, 06:58 PM   #12
ninosdemente

Thank you all for the replies. I ended up with the Romeo 5 red dot. Just waiting for delivery.
Old December 19, 2021, 10:53 PM   #13
armoredman

Good deal.
Old December 20, 2021, 11:27 AM   #14
pete2

I have a couple TRS25s that work fine but the dot flares on both and that may bother you. They are cheap and they work. For a couple hundred bucks you can get a prism scope that won't flare and will still have a black dot and circle even with no power.
Old December 20, 2021, 11:50 AM   #15
cslinger

The primary arms and vortex stuff seem to get fairly universally high marks from folks.

I cannot speak to the Red dots specifically but have run an inexpensive Vortex LPVO and it seemed like a solid scope especially given its price.
Old December 22, 2021, 10:38 PM   #16
ninosdemente

I received the Romeo5X today. When I finally got it to work lol.... noticed the red dot is not a dot but almost like a star (broken) to me. I checked from the barely visible to the brightest and same shape. I switched from brightest to barely visible quite a few times and does look like a broken star. Is this expected or something is wrong with this. Unless it is me? I use glasses but are not meant for everyday use.
Old December 22, 2021, 10:50 PM   #17
cslinger

Do you have an astigmatism? You probably do. Red dots can blur, “star”, “swoosh” or otherwise not seem like a clear dot with an astigmatism. So I don’t THINK your red dot is faulty.

For actual use, fast acquisition it shouldn’t be a huge deal but for precision work it may cause some issue or eye strain.
Old December 22, 2021, 11:14 PM   #18
ninosdemente

I was online looking at this matter and did see astigmatism as the possibility. My last eye visit was during the summer time of this year and unless I have to ask if I have that or a different test is needed other than basic eye exam, I was not told if I have it or not. But from what you are telling me then seems that I might have that then. Will have to call and find out.

By precision work are you referring to competition? If so, that doesn't apply to me as I don't do competition.

Now this question is a bit off subject, but would it somewhat affect when looking behind a powered scope?
Old December 23, 2021, 09:11 AM   #19
jmhyer

If you have astigmatism, it could be limited to one eye. Does the dot also look like a star when using your other eye? Or maybe have someone else look and see if they see the same thing.
Old December 27, 2021, 06:57 PM   #20
ninosdemente

I have it on both eyes as they both look the same. I had another person look at it and they also have it as they said it looked blurred.