The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 1, 2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Capt_Vin

Ok, what gives???

Ok, let's see who can answer this load of HS:
I have been doing some "catalog shopping" in my quest to purchase a new Ar-15 for target shooting and plinking. I have it narrowed down to 2 rifles.
one made by Rock River, and the other is made by DPMS. These rifles are totally and completely identical in appearance, configuration, caliber, color, ect. and so forth. The only other differance is the prices, which are within $35.00 of each other, and as I said, the manufacturer. Because I already own one DPMS AR, I figured ok, go with the DPMS.
Now, the $35,000.00 question:
Why is the rifle manufactured by Rock River legal to ship to and own in the late great State of New York (face it folks, we have Hillary!) while the DPMS model is not? Like I said, these rifles are identical in every way except manufacturer. I contacted DPMS and they told me they can not ship this rifle to me in NY and it is not a "legal NY rifle" as they put it., but wouldn't go into detail as to why. Fining this not too funny, I called Rock River who said they could have it to me within 7 working days, no problem. I asked them about the problem with the DPMS model and I got the feeling from the saleswoman's reply it is a political thing.
Any ideas or opinions?
Old March 1, 2007, 09:28 AM   #2
sanson

dpms must have a compny policy to not ship certain places. we've seen it before. just like some dealers refuse to carry certain brands. legality may not be the issue
Old March 1, 2007, 09:58 AM   #3
azredhawk44

Hooray for DPMS... they probably made a decision similar to Barrett rifles.

Glad my dad has one of their AR's rather than a Colt/RRA/whatever... if I were into the AR platform I'd take that info and reward it accordingly.
Old March 1, 2007, 04:33 PM   #4
Don H

Quote:
Hooray for DPMS... they probably made a decision similar to Barrett rifles.
Barrett did not refuse to ship to Non-LEO customers in CA - they refused to service CA LEO rifles after the .50-cal ban. Different thing altogether.
Old March 3, 2007, 09:46 PM   #5
Double J

DPMS is a Military contractor. Don't know about Rock River. Might be a reason the King of New York decides yea or nea. Also, check the barrels on those rifles. DPMS doesn't normally have a chrome chamber or bore. That comes about + $45.00 extra.
Old March 3, 2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Bogie

Does New York require testing? Maybe DPMS didn't feel like blowing a few thousand dollars for the samples.

Also, a chrome lined bore isn't necessarily a good thing. If you've got a match grade stainless barrel, and you chrome it, well, why bother?

And as long as you're not loading cruddy ball powder, you should be okay, cleanliness-wise.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!