The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2022, 03:56 PM   #1
BCR1

Arex Zero1 9mm pistol comments/reviews

I'm seriously considering having a LGS order me one of the compact models in all black. Any comments/reviews would be most welcome.

TIA,
Bill
Old January 8, 2022, 01:16 AM   #2
Mosin44az

The reviews are impressive and apparently it beat the competition in a major durability test. I handled one at a gun show, though, and found the grip to be very thick. I would have to shoot it from cocked and locked mode, which I recall is an option.
Old January 8, 2022, 12:10 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

I don't care for the GT forum all the time, but there is a member with the handle "bunk22."

He's an actual shooter and so I tend to read his posts more with interest. He ran into some issues with inconsistent slide release with mag out that make you wonder why it behaves differently. When you read his posts on his Arex, you'll see a lot of people say they like it but down own one let alone have shot one. Then he starts to have some issues.

Just one person. But of all the collectors and members, I know he shoots his pistols a lot.

Might check it out. I too am interested in the Arex too, but really just want a P226s in Enhanced or Enhanced Elite. These appear not to be made by Sig right now or purchasable at any price other than Legions right now. No to the Legion thanks to the bad finish.
Old January 14, 2022, 01:19 PM   #4
sigarms228

A problem with firearms such as these is how is their customer support and parts availability now and down the road? I have read complaints in the past where some had to pay shipping both ways for a gun that would nbot work out of the box, but maybe that changed. Not much of a track record on them either.

Unless the price has come way down on this model it might make more sense to spend the money on a Beretta or CZ as last I saw they were priced about the same.

I have often heard of them as a "SIG clone" but that is not accurate. More like they look like a SIG but internally different and share no parts. I have read that the triggers are so so, especially DA.
Old January 14, 2022, 04:58 PM   #5
BCR1

Tim from MAC did a 1K torture test in under 15 minutes which convinced me the Zero1 models are well built so I bought one for $525.00 + fee's on GB. There are plenty of parts for sale on GB also. The full size model is under $450 + fee's.

Every review, either text or video, I've seen rates them an excellent buy for the money. Care to post a link to these problems you speak of?

Bill
Old January 14, 2022, 06:56 PM   #6
Jim Watson

If I were "mechanically inclined" I would be inclined to buy one and see if I could tune it up to mimic a P226 SAO,
Old January 15, 2022, 03:36 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

Here is the thread I mentioned above.

MAC is a total hack and had money in selling the arex. Doesn't make it bad, but...doesn't make his post worthwhile either.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/in...ssues.1641591/

Bunk22 is an actual shooter. I see MAC always has a brand new gun. Tells me a lot?
Old January 15, 2022, 05:56 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Arex Zero1 9mm pistol comments/reviews

It tells you that he has a YouTube channel where new guns are one of the biggest drivers of views. Is he paid in addition to that? Certainly plausible, but shooting new firearms and having a YouTube channel devoted to firearms pretty much goes hand in hand. As for Bunk22, this is the first I’ve ever heard of him/her. Doesn’t mean he/she isn’t a great shooter, just that there are so many shooters out there that knowing and keeping track of them all is a losing battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 15, 2022, 10:05 PM   #9
BCR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Here is the thread I mentioned above.

MAC is a total hack and had money in selling the arex. Doesn't make it bad, but...doesn't make his post worthwhile either.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/in...ssues.1641591/

Bunk22 is an actual shooter. I see MAC always has a brand new gun. Tells me a lot?
That thread is over five years old so I'm not really concerned with his somewhat negative review. As far as Tim being a paid hack, I'm sure some might say the same about you.

Bill
Old January 16, 2022, 02:14 PM   #10
RGO

Dang, I haven't posted here in a long time.

I had a Zero 1 TC (tactical compact). Recently sold it -- will get to why.

I bought it because I was specifically looking for an optics ready DA/SA gun for less than $1000. Not too many options there at the time.

Was impressed with the build quality. Machining was clean, good fitment, etc. Optics plates are metal and solid. It was always reliable.

Trigger was not great. The DA weight exceeded the range of my trigger pull gauge. I'd estimate it was 13 lbs. I don't normally mind a heavy trigger, but this was heavy enough to cause fatigue after a little bit of practicing. SA was 8 lbs. I replaced the hammer spring with the Arex competition spring, which took the weight down to about 8/4.5.

The grip was my biggest problem. I have small hands and it is large, but not so large I couldn't handle it. I would say it felt something like a 92FS. Maybe a bit fatter. But it's also a short grip. You've got a small amount of vertical real estate (from the bottom of the trigger guard to the magazine). It's only about as much as a Sig P365, and maybe a bit less. I guess this could be fixed by going with a standard size model. The factory grips are also slippery plastic and I would recommend changing those out.

The slide stop was always stiff and I had no hope of pushing it down with my shooting hand without adjusting my grip.

They are good guns if you can deal with these quirks.
Old January 18, 2022, 09:10 AM   #11
BCR1

I guess Hickock45 is a hack also. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbLNigEmvvA&t=728s No matter, I ordered one of the compact models last Wednesday and it should be here this week.

RGO, did you use a cut down comp hammer spring as all I see are for the full size S models?

TIA,
Bill
Old January 18, 2022, 02:06 PM   #12
RGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR1 View Post
RGO, did you use a cut down comp hammer spring as all I see are for the full size S models?

TIA,
Bill
I did not have to cut the spring down. IIRC, the same size spring is used in the standard and compact models.
Old January 19, 2022, 01:56 AM   #13
BCR1

Thank you RGO, the D/A trigger pull is a joke so I'll be getting the lighter spring for sure.
The slide is blockier (if that is even a word) than I like and the mag release is hard to get to W/O changing my grip but it is a range toy only so I can deal with those issues.

I plan to run 100 rounds through it later today to start the break in.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0813.jpg (138.5 KB, 45 views)
Old January 19, 2022, 09:18 AM   #14
wild cat mccane

"influencers" online get paid. It's a job. It doesn't matter that is is on guns or make up. MAC's reviews appeared suspiciously everywhere with the FIME Group. I'm just noting what has already been said a lot on this.

I mean, that is a long list of negatives. I didn't hear any of those in his "review." Did you?

Hickok45 is fun to watch, but he's never discovered an issue that's needed fixing. So again, I like to bring in owners and actually shooters. Bunk22 is one of those guys I like to listen to. Our TunnelRat is also one.

I look forward to your feedback after shooting.

Sig finally put out some non Legion P226s, Elites and Elite Enhanced. First I've seen in over a year and a half. If anyone is interested. I just bought an Elite from Tombstone. A little high, but not too crazy. Double the Arex which seems to have gone down in price since this thread started using gun.deals and I said I was interested.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; January 19, 2022 at 10:55 AM.
Old January 19, 2022, 01:27 PM   #15
RGO

Quote:
Thank you RGO, the D/A trigger pull is a joke so I'll be getting the lighter spring for sure.
The slide is blockier (if that is even a word) than I like and the mag release is hard to get to W/O changing my grip but it is a range toy only so I can deal with those issues.

I plan to run 100 rounds through it later today to start the break in.

Bill
You're welcome! Polenar Tactical has a video that I used to help change out the spring. Would recommend you wear eye protection in case the hammer spring or hammer strut go flying on you. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old January 19, 2022, 03:36 PM   #16
wild cat mccane

Was the change to the light set significant in feel?
Old January 24, 2022, 05:18 PM   #17
BCR1

I had a friend change out the hammer spring which reduced the D/A to 10 lbs and S/A to 4.5 lbs. I didn't check the before weight but there is a very noticeable change in D/A, maybe slightly for S/A.

I have now shot around 170 through it with the muzzle jump less than my Sig's due to a really stiff recoil spring. I like the pistol so far.

Bill
Old January 31, 2022, 03:03 PM   #18
BCR1

After the spring change, I started having random light primer strikes where I would need a D/A pull to set off the primer so I had the original spring re-installed. 100 rounds later, no light strikes so I'll just leave it stock.

Bill
Old January 31, 2022, 03:10 PM   #19
wild cat mccane

Thank you for coming back and relaying that message.

I got the Sig P226 Elite. But I'm still curious about the Arex for fun. Not the end of the world on it, but certainly a good thing to know that this might happen.

Sounds like the Beretta APX comp spring set up. Could work to make the trigger nicer. Usually. Maybe.
Old February 1, 2022, 08:47 AM   #20
RGO

Quote:
After the spring change, I started having random light primer strikes where I would need a D/A pull to set off the primer so I had the original spring re-installed. 100 rounds later, no light strikes so I'll just leave it stock.

Bill
That's a bummer. It's probably ammo dependent, but understandable if you don't want to mess with finding specific loads the gun likes.
Old February 2, 2022, 04:45 AM   #21
BCR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGO View Post
That's a bummer. It's probably ammo dependent, but understandable if you don't want to mess with finding specific loads the gun likes.
Since I bought it as a range toy only and as long as I can hit a man sized silhouette target @ 25 yards, I'm satisfied.

Bill
Old February 16, 2022, 06:03 PM   #22
wild cat mccane

An Arex Zero 2 just dropped.

I'm not going to pretend to know the differences, but it looks like the grip is less bulky by a lot.
Old May 4, 2022, 09:55 AM   #23
Trevor

Service after the sale is the important thing about buying a pistol. While attractive, the Arex line is an orphan waiting to happen.

If you want a TDA pistol, there are only 3 viable choices today: Beretta, Sig, and CZ. All have after-market support. All present some options for customizing.

You should leave it stock though. But I do not always follow this advice.

Pay your money. Take your chances. No crying allowed.

As for "influencers," they are not adults. Heed their advice at your own risk.

Last edited by Trevor; May 4, 2022 at 11:30 AM.
Old May 4, 2022, 02:15 PM   #24
wild cat mccane

The Zero 2 sure thinks highly of itself for price...Price difference is only within that a P226 comes with night sights.

https://globalordnance.com/arex-zero-2-s-black/
Old May 5, 2022, 08:29 PM   #25
reynolds357

Quote:
I'm seriously considering having a LGS order me one of the compact models in all black. Any comments/reviews would be most welcome.

TIA,
Bill
I don't have any experience with them. The one thing I find odd on the manufacturers website is "with a service life of 30,000 rounds....". What? 30k is nothing.