The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 21, 2022, 06:20 AM   #26
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post

Para-Ordnance 9mm slides will accommodate .38 Super and .40 S&W.
My Para-Ordnance 9mm slide won't accept a 40 S&W. The breech face is not wide enough.
Old March 21, 2022, 09:14 AM   #27
chadio

Two things come to mind in reading this thread:

1) I thought I took the cake for being an old grump. The "all 1911's must be .45 ACP" group makes me look like a kitten

2) A 9mm / .38 Super ... ??? I see an excuse to buy not one, but two guns
Old March 23, 2022, 08:38 PM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

With the Colt Ace and various other rimfire conversions, the idea is to keep the feel of the 1911 while providing economical practice. These days, given the recent ammo shortage, I think it is reasonable for one who has trained on the 1911 and who doesn't want to change grip frame angles or sights in practice, to get the 1911 in other calibers if they are what is available. As long as you also own it in 45 ACP first and foremost, then you can consider you haven't betrayed the cause.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 14, 2022, 03:25 PM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick
With the Colt Ace and various other rimfire conversions, the idea is to keep the feel of the 1911 while providing economical practice. These days, given the recent ammo shortage, I think it is reasonable for one who has trained on the 1911 and who doesn't want to change grip frame angles or sights in practice, to get the 1911 in other calibers if they are what is available. As long as you also own it in 45 ACP first and foremost, then you can consider you haven't betrayed the cause.
That's a reasonable perspective. I have top ends for 1911s in .22LR, 9mm, .38 Super, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. I'm still looking for a way to get a Commander barrel chambered in .380 ACP.
Jeepaholic
Old April 15, 2022, 01:48 PM   #30
HiBC

For very little investment,I came up with a couple of first gen Caspian Double stack frame castings.
I also have scrounged two brand new STI True Bore Comped Commander length Bull Barrels. 38 Super. I have the small parts to complete one frame assy. The TruBore barrel is a bull barrel with an integral comp machined into the barrel blank.

I have very little money in this stuff. One hurdle is magazines. The EAA Large should work.
I live in Colorado. 15 round max limit. I choose to stay squeaky clean legal.

Factory 38 Super mags are 17 rounds. At this time,I don't have any. They can't be shipped to Colorado. At some time, I might be able to procure some and modify them to 15 rounds. But for now,they are unobtainium. Gotta have magazines.
The 10 mm version of the magazines hold 14 rounds. Colorado legal,no problem. I have some on the way. But 10 mm bullets won't fit through the 38 Super TruBore barrel. HMMM. I ordinarily wouldn't pursue the 9x25 Dillon,(10 mm necked to 9mm) . I'd rather do a 38 Super Comp.
But the 9x25 workaround will allow me to use my barrel and have legal magazines. Plus, I found a reamer.

If I solve the 38 Super Mag capacity problem, OK,fine! But for now,the 9x25 is possible. I also have a bald 38 Super Caspian slide. Hmm. I might have the slide milled for a micro-red dot.

Alien Gear offers an interesting chest holster, I wear bib overalls a lot.

Might be a plan coming together.

Its a little crazy,but 9x25 is another alt cartridge option.