The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 18, 2019, 11:35 AM   #26
Lohman446

Quote:
I think it's too late for Glock to get into the PCC market. They should have done it years ago, when they could have made a statement with it. As opposed to being an "also ran"!!
That is interesting to me because I think of all the "also-ran" in the standard striker fired polymer pistols and wonder why any company enters it. Even given an equal or superior product it would be very hard to distinguish ones self from everyone else.

So as I am not in the market is there any established benchmark manufacturer in the PCC market? Honest question
Old January 18, 2019, 12:07 PM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
I guess it has some merit for those wanting to shoot a handgun round from a long barrel. I'll stick with the AR 15.
Have you tried a PCC AR? It might surprise you how fun they are--and can also "supercharge" a PC bullet.
Old January 18, 2019, 12:15 PM   #28
Onward Allusion

Yes. One in 357 Sig with a chamber insert for 9mm.
Old January 18, 2019, 12:15 PM   #29
MarkCO

When large departments leave the AR15 and go to 9mm Carbines, Glock "might" make the jump. Until then, I don't see them caring much about a relatively small niche market.

I really like PCCs, for many things, and I compete with them as well. But I also understand that the competition market is small compared to the CCW and the LEA markets.
Old January 18, 2019, 12:19 PM   #30
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Have you tried a PCC AR? It might surprise you how fun they are--and can also "supercharge" a PC bullet.
Some people enjoy making excessive blast, flash, recoil, all in a package larger than many PCC and costing about twice as much to train with.
Old January 18, 2019, 01:25 PM   #31
Glenn E. Meyer

This is a free market decision. When the sales figures come out for the Rugers and various AR platform guns, it will determine if the civilian market is viable. Then, it might be seen if there is enough room for a Glock carbine. They were late into the 380 market but seem to be doing ok there with the G42. They sold 200,000 of them after introduction.

Now if the Democrats win the 2020 elections, the sales prospects for gun less likely to be banned will increase.

Trump was a negative for gun sales, taking them down 35% for many manufacturers. Of course, if he continues to talk bans, might be good for the gun market.

Not being political, just talking about what might be good for 9mm carbines.
Old January 18, 2019, 04:39 PM   #32
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
This is a free market decision. When the sales figures come out for the Rugers and various AR platform guns, it will determine if the civilian market is viable. Then, it might be seen if there is enough room for a Glock carbine. They were late into the 380 market but seem to be doing ok there with the G42. They sold 200,000 of them after introduction.

Now if the Democrats win the 2020 elections, the sales prospects for gun less likely to be banned will increase.

Trump was a negative for gun sales, taking them down 35% for many manufacturers. Of course, if he continues to talk bans, might be good for the gun market.

Not being political, just talking about what might be good for 9mm carbines.
Time to invest in Cap & Ball and Flintlocks
Old January 18, 2019, 05:48 PM   #33
Jim Watson

The large majority of PCCs are made to take Glock magazines.
This is what is known as a Clue.

But at this late date, they will also have to consider politics. There are several states they could not sell carbines to American Commoners and the Democrat House and Feckless RINO Senate might give us AWB III.
Old January 21, 2019, 03:19 AM   #34
Brit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
The large majority of PCCs are made to take Glock magazines.
This is what is known as a Clue.

But at this late date, they will also have to consider politics. There are several states they could not sell carbines to American Commoners and the Democrat House and Feckless RINO Senate might give us AWB III.
I have every firearm I need! The one I carry (sitting behind me on my bedside table) is my Glock 19 4th, Gen, with just fitted new night sight inserts, TrueGlow $75. for 2 of them.

Styer AUG/AK 47, with folding ACE Stock in the Safe. And that's all she wrote.
Old January 27, 2019, 11:55 AM   #35
MagnumWill

Yes, when it comes to PCC's I personally think there's a host of companies that already have the niche handled.

But here's an idea in the meantime now all I need to do is actually invest in an Osprey 45 suppressor...

Old January 27, 2019, 05:10 PM   #36
disseminator

Quote:
You could but given the option of 10MM or .45ACP why would one opt for the inferior cartridge?
Subsonic.
Old January 27, 2019, 05:16 PM   #37
Sharkbite

If Glock had come out with a pistol caliber carbine back when the handguns took off, it would have sold like hotcakes.

Now, the trend is towards short RIFLE caliber platforms. 10” AR’s rule the entry gun market, subguns are rare.
Old January 27, 2019, 07:44 PM   #38
bfoosh006

I'm not sure what Glock could really bring to the 9MM PCC market.

I mean, they would really have to find some thing very unique, or innovative to out sell all the other Glock Mag fed products.
Old January 27, 2019, 08:01 PM   #39
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue711 View Post
Just put a Glock in a CAA Roni or Micro-Roni chassis and bam...you got a Glock carbine

Kidding aside, I see Glock as a one-trick pony. It does that trick well, but I'm not sure if they'll branch out from it. If they do, my guess is it'll be pistol caliber only using (of course) Glock mags.

It Ultrasound a range toy for me, but after working on it, it works 100% now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old February 16, 2019, 03:13 PM   #40
Rollcrimp1

Glock pretty much owns the world wide polymer handgun market as it is. Can’t see much business necessity for them to branch out into a segment where they would have to tool up and start design and testing models from scratch.
Old February 17, 2019, 11:36 PM   #41
TruthTellers

^ Glock's necessity is to stay competitive in the handgun market because they are losing market share and it's all but impossible to sell any new Glocks to consumers for $500 when there are plenty of used ones for $100+ less online, even more for the .40 caliber ones.

My next and final Glock is going to be the G40 MOS, which I'll probably have to buy new as used ones are rare and once that's done, there's nothing Glock can do to make me buy another one of their pistols and there's really no reason to get into making PCC's either cuz I'm covered with them too.

Glock's future for the civilian market is exactly what they're doing with the 42, 43, 43x, and 48: slim pistols for CCW. Fuller size pistols for $300 would sell very well if they're still as reliable and durable, but Glock doesn't seem interested in bringing any gun to market that low in price, so their cash cows of the LEO and military and civilian CCW is all they have to fall back on and keep them going for the future.

But 20-30 years from now, if Glock doesn't continue to try an innovate, they're gonna be in the same boat that Colt is now.

Along the lines about potential panics in the future when more members of the Anti-gun party take control, the same thing is going to happen as last time: all the 9mm will be MIA and .40 will be sitting there. IMO, there's no reason not to be jumping on the low, low prices of the used .40 Glocks as switching to 9mm is as simple as a $130 Lone Wolf barrel and a 9mm magazine. Then you've got more ammo options available if need be.
Old February 18, 2019, 08:53 AM   #42
USNRet93

Kinda think of 'do one thing and do it well'..it would be like GMC making a sedan or sports car..PLUS, thinking the vast majority of 'guns' sold these days worldwide are handguns, not rifles.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 18, 2019, 11:21 AM   #43
Double Naught Spy

So why would anybody sell rifles if the vast majority of guns sold are handguns? Simple, because whether or not it is a majority isn't an issue. What is an issue is if they can make good money doing it.

The vast majority of handguns sold worldwide aren't Glocks, but Glock makes money selling handguns.
Old February 18, 2019, 11:47 AM   #44
Glenn E. Meyer

If the niche is profitable, sell the product. Why do companies produce artisanal cheese and beer when most folks eat Velveeta and drink Bud> Because, enough buy the specialty products for them to survive.

We are seeing, as said before, lots of pistol carbines at matches. There's a good market in ban states - look forward to more of that (unless they take out all semis).