The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 22, 2020, 07:17 AM   #1
Lancerdad34

Laser handgrips for a browning Hi Power

My Wife said she would get me this Christmas. Which one in the best?

Thanks,

Brian in Mi
Old October 22, 2020, 09:12 AM   #2
dyl

In my experience, I'm under the impression that Crimson Trace is considered the go-to laser brand for handguns. Not the cheapest. I think they were first to have the idea of an integrated pressure switch that came on with a normal grip, no further thinking or buttons to press.

The other brands I'm familiar with are Lasermax and Viridian, then there are a billion recent newcomers you will find on Amazon, which are very cheap and not the best choice for self defense.

Lasermax has an unique guide rod laser which is unobtrusive, but unless they've changed something, they eventually get battered (I bought a used one for a Glock thinking I could replace an end cap and everything would be functional again) Their other lasers may be fine, but so far I've only seen ones that require the extra step of an additional button to press.

I've had a Crimson Trace on a little J frame that has been in my pocket on and off for...9 or 10 years? And withstood a mixture of 38 special and 357 magnum without any problems.
Old October 22, 2020, 09:16 AM   #3
dyl

By the way Brian, Kudos to your wife for being willing to pick out cool gifts. Tell her she's a keeper and I wish you two a long happy marriage
Old October 22, 2020, 02:41 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerdad34 View Post
My Wife said she would get me this Christmas. Which one in the best?

Thanks,

Brian in Mi
Crimson Trace is, as far as I know, your only option for this.

They do list them, and they are pricey: https://www.crimsontrace.com/product...fv2=Lasergrips

The automatic activation thing must have gone off patent, because Hogue makes some similar ones now, and Viridian makes one (for Taurus small frame). But, neither have that many models, and neither cover the BHP.

I put CT laser grips on a couple snubs, and got used to "aiming with the dot" almost instantly. They're useless, red ones anyway, in full daylight, though.

I wouldn't mess with any laser that requires manual activation on a defensive handgun. Just one more thing to forget to do in the crunch.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; October 22, 2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old October 22, 2020, 05:13 PM   #5
dyl

I saw some Hogue lasergrips online yesterday and they seemed a lot cheaper. I wonder how the lasers hold up. Hopefully they bring some healthy competition to the genre.
Old October 24, 2020, 07:32 AM   #6
rodfac

I've had good success with the Crimson Trace grips, albeit on a Smith M637. Good battery life (over a year), and it didn't lose its zero over time. My #1 son has a pair on a 1911 that he really likes as well; with no regrets. HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 24, 2020, 01:39 PM   #7
zoo

You won’t be disappointed with the crimson trace! Just be sure to get the green.
Old October 27, 2020, 04:39 PM   #8
Lancerdad34

Thanks for all the replies! Crimson Trace it is!
Old November 5, 2020, 09:09 AM   #9
Lancerdad34

Just want to know what is it about green being better than red?

Thanks,
Brian
Old November 5, 2020, 05:19 PM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerdad34 View Post
Just want to know what is it about green being better than red?

Thanks,
Brian
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/r...-laser-sights/ Easier for the human eye to pick up. Red lasers get totally washed out in sunlight, very difficult to see. Green lasers, not so much.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 8, 2020, 04:42 PM   #11
Lancerdad34

Thanks Lee that was very informative!
Old November 8, 2020, 11:42 PM   #12
dyl

If green isn't available or is out of budget, don't sweat it. The red Crimson Trace laser I've had on my tiny little J frame is plenty bright. Not for daytime use though, but usually one thinks of lasers or night sights in low/no night situations, otherwise your iron sights will work fine in the daytime.
Old November 9, 2020, 01:07 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There's another factor in favor of green:

There's a condition of deficient color vision called red-green weakness. It's not color blindness, but people with red green weakness have difficulty distinguishing shades of reds and greens. There are also varying degrees of the deficiency.

I have it, and in my case it's pretty severe. I enlisted in the Army to be a combat engineer, and I went all the way through Basic and AIT for combat engineering before someone looked at my medical history and decided they didn't want someone who couldn't see red (literally) hooking up colored wires to things that go BOOM. So, just like that, I went from being a 12B20 combat engineer to being an 11B10 combat infantryman.

Fast forward from 1966 to about ten years ago. I put a red dot scope (not a holographic) on my AR-15. Inside the house, I could see the dot, even with the brightness turned halfway down. At an outdoor range, in daylight -- forget it. The dot didn't exist. If I attend a lecture or seminar where the speaker uses a red laser pointer with his or her Powerpoint to emphasize something -- I can't see it. When I do Powerpoints, I take my own laser pointer, which has a lavender (so they tell me) laser. I don't really know what color it is, but I can see it and that's what counts. I can see green dot scopes and green lasers outdoors -- I can't see red.

The thing is, red-green weakness affects a significant percentage of the population, especially males of European descent. As I mentioned, it has degrees, so you may have it and not even know it. So, before you go out and spend good money on a red laser, try to borrow one and try it outdoors to be sure you can see it. If you have red-green weakness, it may not be as simple as green being easier to pick up. It may be that you can pick up the green because you can see it, and you can't see the red.
Jeepaholic
Old November 10, 2020, 02:17 PM   #14
tipoc

Laser grips on a BHP? Like John Wayne in yoga pants. Just something that don't work.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.