The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 5, 2020, 05:53 AM   #1
Capt.Mike

Rising PRICES and Selling?

I have some extra AR's. I'm considering Selling a few but naturally would like to hit close to the Peak.

Has anyone else considered "thinning" the herd with Prices and Availability?
Old October 5, 2020, 07:53 AM   #2
shurshot

Yeah, do your homework first. Prices are rising fast.

Last edited by shurshot; October 5, 2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old October 5, 2020, 09:09 AM   #3
gaseousclay

I'd check some of the gun auction sites first to get a sense of what's out there and what your particular AR has sold for. Also might be worth checking big box retailers as well. I know inventory is few and far between for a lot of brands but some more than others. Before I bought my S&W m&p sport 2 months ago most of the sellers I came across were on gunbroker.com selling in the $850-900 range new for a basic factory complete AR. Then I went to Scheels and they were fully stocked and I managed to get mine for $750 out the door. I was at Scheels yesterday and their AR selection now looks fairly picked over. They had what appeared to be plenty of Ruger AR556's and some Black Rain Ordinance AR's, along with some more expensive variants. You'd probably come out ahead depending on what it is you're selling.
Old October 5, 2020, 02:39 PM   #4
RETG

Yes, a few Berettas too many. Just need to stop my procrastinating and list them on Armslist.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old October 6, 2020, 05:00 AM   #5
TJB101

Good time to sell ... dumped about 6 since spring and added one. I’ve got a credit of 5 with the wife now. :-)
Old October 6, 2020, 06:34 AM   #6
Capt.Mike

TJB101

Good time to sell ... dumped about 6 since spring and added one. I’ve got a credit of 5 with the wife now. :-)

10-4 on that TJB. Lucky or Unlucky, I don't have a fulltime House Mouse so no one is Counting Crap here. One X-GF would say "Why Do You Have So Many Motorcycles" or Why This or Why That? And she despised a 427 Cobra I have. I guess I should have told her, This Will Be Here When Your Ass Is G O N E.

I can't tell you how long it been since I walked into a Store and bought a gun but there's Lots of people who have never ordered and done a local transfer. I checked the Big 3 yesterday and there's not any AR's, 9mm ammo or .223. Midsouth had a deal on some AR 30 round mags this weekend ($130 for 10). I went ahead and ordered 10. In the past 2 months, reloading components have gotten impossible to find.

Armslist wise, Supply and Demand is different for different areas. Here the only ammo on the shelf is shotgun shells. (I'd personally like 12ga for self defense.) Bass Pro had a decent stock on handguns yesterday but no beans.

Last edited by Capt.Mike; October 6, 2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old October 6, 2020, 01:56 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

I suspect that if you're selling an AR, before your election would be best. Or really close to right after between election day and inauguration day.
Assuming The Donald is turfed, demand will skyrocket since Biden will very likely do something rash like our idiot PM did. He banned the importation of 1500 specific firearms after a nut case illegally purchased an AR Stateside and illegally imported it here.
Old October 6, 2020, 11:39 PM   #8
Ignition Override

It might be better to wait until the potential chaos After Nov 3rd?

The Wall Street Journal had an editorial by a constitutional attorney, who highlighted how multiple tight legal restrictions on the mail-in ballot process (required For the electoral votes on Dec. 15) could result in a gigantic mess.
Old October 7, 2020, 04:47 PM   #9
cc-hangfire

I’ve thinned out some oddballs and duplicates over the past few months. Demand is up, supply is thin (the LGS’s around here have practically no handguns).
If republicans keep the senate & White House after 11/3/20, prices and demand will decline in 2021, and it will swing back to a buyers market for at least 2 years.
Our last democratic president was a great firearms salesman, so if dems control both house & senate and/or the presidency come 11/4/20, then demand and prices stay strong due to the probability of more gun control.
Old October 9, 2020, 08:55 PM   #10
jmr40

I've sold a dozen guns in the last 10-12 days. Not selling AR's though, nor any other gun I actually use. I had some older Smith revolvers and 3 Glocks that I never shoot anymore. As well as some hunting rifles I've not used in years.

I lost $75 on one, broke even on 3-4, but sold the rest for more than I paid. Of course some of them I'd had 25-30 years. I figure I had about $4500 in all of them. Sold 'em for $6000.

I sold one to a buddy I know, the rest were bought by a local gun shop who was willing to pay what I considered a fair price. He can't get new guns in fast enough.

I could have advertised them and sold them individually and I might have gotten $200-$300 more total. But the hassle of advertising and trying to meet up with people; plus the potential liability if I sell to someone who can't legally own a gun just made it easier to go this way.

Winston Churchill
Old October 10, 2020, 07:10 AM   #11
Bozz10mm

Heck, I just got mine. Well it seems like it. Bought my first AR 6 years ago. I'm not selling any just yet. I've probably got more invested in each one than I could get back, even at current crazy prices.
Old October 10, 2020, 06:07 PM   #12
Road_Clam

I love all my 27 firearms, each one has a nice unique shooting niche. No interest in selling. My one and only rifle that would be a decent money maker and one that I rarely shoot is my Rock Ridge 1903A4 clone. I use it to only shoot an ocassional Vintage Sniper Match at my gun club. After a quick "maybe I should sell" I quickly slap myself and say "you will never find another" .