The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 16, 2020, 07:26 AM   #1
bspillman

Beretta 92S vs FS parts compatibility

Has anyone ever rebuilt an S model? I know the mag release is different and the firing pin is different, but if I got one of these and wanted to have spare parts on hand for a “just in case” scenario, what parts from the FS would fit the S model. Thanks in advance.
Old September 2, 2020, 08:55 PM   #2
NuJudge

The parts I have broken or changed out on the 92FS and G pistols are just magazine springs, recoil springs (because they wore too short), an extractor (it broke), trigger return springs (originally they were to only last 5000 trigger pulls), and locking blocks (early design was not supposed to last very long). I will probably replace the firing pin and return spring on several high round count pistols I have.

You will find discussions about parts interchangeability at the Beretta discussion forum FAQ:
https://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=98238
Old September 3, 2020, 10:35 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

I really don't know. I think it's luck of the draw.

Locking blocks and barrels are *supposed* to be the same.
But those that I've tried dropping into my 92S either didn't fit (would require fitting) or did not interface properly.

Could just be my 92S. I don't know.

The spare locking block that I currently have allows the slide to ride a bit forward of the original, to the point that the trigger disconnects. (Beretta part, purchased from Beretta. That they say should fit.)
But I run into the same issue with the original locking block when used with a 92FS or SilencerCo barrel.

It could just be my frame. But I've heard the same thing from a couple other people that tried using M9, 92FS, or aftermarket "92" barrels in their 92Ss.

On the flip side, nearly every barrel maker claims that they're all the same. - That nearly the entire 92 family has interchangeable locking blocks and barrels. This is Beretta's own compatibility list for a 4.9" threaded barrel and standard locking block, for example: M9, M9A1, 92, 92A1, 92S, 92F, 92FS, 92G, 92D, 92DS, Brigadier, Elite, Vertec.

Perhaps tolerances and quality control weren't as good for the 92Ss...

Some internals are probably the same, but that's the best I can give you is a "probably".

The best bet for obtaining replacement parts in an affordable and reasonable manner, while they're still available, is to buy another 92S.
Old September 4, 2020, 10:02 AM   #4
Jagrbomb

I'd go here and ask:

https://berettaforum.net/vb/
Old October 3, 2020, 09:38 PM   #5
Ibmikey

With regard to the parts problem, I doubt you will break anything but if you do follow my path: buy a second 92s at the same time as a replacement....kinda like a spare tire .