The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 8, 2020, 06:14 AM   #1
Lancerdad34

Good holster for Browning 9 Hi power?

I inherited my late Father's Browning Hi Power which he carried back in his days as a SGT in Detroit and just recently qualified for my CPL. Which is the safest and most comfortable holster for carrying concealed? I am new here and look forward to learning a lot on this forum. I was taught to shoot (and safety) since I was 10 years old.

Thanks,

Brian in MI
Old August 8, 2020, 12:28 PM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerdad34 View Post
I inherited my late Father's Browning Hi Power which he carried back in his days as a SGT in Detroit and just recently qualified for my CPL. Which is the safest and most comfortable holster for carrying concealed? I am new here and look forward to learning a lot on this forum. I was taught to shoot (and safety) since I was 10 years old.

Thanks,

Brian in MI
If you want outside the waistband, you may want to look at an "Askins Avenger". I have one I copied (I do leather work) for my Browning H.P. If I were to carry my High Power on a belt, that is the one I would choose.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Aski...hSfi9Wg74zLt2M
Old August 8, 2020, 02:18 PM   #3
Lancerdad34

Thanks will check it out.
Old August 9, 2020, 10:11 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

I’ve been carrying a Browning Hi-Power in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max 2 for almost 20 years now. Sometimes up to 16-18 hours a day. Buy the Milt Sparks belt to go with it. You can still take the holster and shake it upside down very vigorously and it will retain the pistol. I’ve also done sub-second two shot draws with it.

I can’t vouch that it is the safest or most comfortable because it has fit my needs so well I’ve never had a need to look at anything else.

As for concealable, I’ve worn it with a tucked in business shirt and slacks and with shorts and an untucked t-shirt. In 20 years, the only time I was ever “made” is I was carrying a magazine in my offside pocket and it pushed up and hooked on the lip of the pocket. A gun guy saw the spare magazine and asked me what I was carrying and where, so I showed him.
Old August 9, 2020, 02:37 PM   #5
rmh3481

Im using whats called a 'cuff' style holster. DeSantis 023 is the number on it, known as a Yaqui. I purposely bought it in the Left handed version for a right pull from the small of my back. Its one of the best Ive ever found for concealed carry. If your right handed like me and carrying a hi power - it works well.

Here is what it looks like-
https://www.natchezss.com/desantis-s...e-holster.html
Old August 9, 2020, 03:02 PM   #6
burrhead

The first thing to decide is if you want to carry inside the waistband or out. Inside (IWB) the above mentioned Versa-Max is a solid choice. I prefer the Summer Special but it's all subjective. For outside the waistband (OWB) I'm all in for pancake holsters, a style made by practically all holster makers. I find them very stable and comfortable. All that said, there's a reason many of us have a box filled with holsters that didn't work for us.

Good luck on your hunt.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old August 10, 2020, 04:20 PM   #7
Kevin Rohrer

There is no "most" of anything. Look for something in leather; OWB is more comfortable than IWB, but the latter is not uncomfortable.

Goto 1911Forum and look in their holster picture topics. Pick anything you like for a BHP, 1911 Commander, or full-size 1911 and you are good-to-go. They all fit the BHP fine.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old August 11, 2020, 08:49 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerdad34 View Post

Thanks,

Brian in MI
Welcome aboard!

To my mind, a BHP just screams for a leather holster. You've almost guaranteed a free-for-all by asking for the 'safest and most comfortable' holster for carrying. With that said, I like OWB in leather. Specifically, my go-to holster is the DeSantis Speed Scabbard. If I had a BHP, though, I might just have to upgrade to something a little spiffier, like a Wright Leatherworks Predator.

A few holster makers that are, IMHO, generally considered to make at least decent quality products, in no particular order:
Don Hume
DeSantis
Galco
Wright Leatherworks
Tucker Gunleather
Aker
Simply Rugged
High Noon
Old August 11, 2020, 09:43 AM   #9
Lancerdad34

Thanks for all the good info! I will let you know which one I get!