The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2011, 03:58 PM   #1
ipscchef

Thoughts on the 200gr. .45 Hornady XTP

Hi guys,
I am thinking about working up a SD load for my 1911 with a 200gr. bullet @ about 1000fps. I would like to use the XTP's for this, partly because there are two boxes that have been sitting on my bullet shelf staring at me for a couple of years. And because this combo makes a great deal of sense to me, A 200gr. Hollowpoint @ 1000fps,+ or -, in .45 that is.
Anyway, do any of you have any experience with this particular bullet, or XTP's in general?
Does someone make a better bullet for this usr?
This will be a carry round and I hope to come close to the 200gr. CorBon's that I have in my mags now, which I love, but a over a buck a bullet...., they get a little pricey to practice with.
Once the wind drops below 30 knots and the temp gets above 20 degrees I will work some loads up, I just wanted to get some input from anyone who has been using them.
Thanks,
Willy
Old February 15, 2011, 04:35 PM   #2
4runnerman

I used to shoot them alll the time.Recently switched over to Barrys 230's now. Great bullet,but cost war went to barry's. I shot them in 1911 also.
If you want i can give you my loads that worked pretty good.
Old February 15, 2011, 06:09 PM   #3
ipscchef

4runnerman

That would be great. I am always looking to see what others load.
Either post them here or PM me if you want.
Willy
Old February 15, 2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Slightly gross story but....

My dad shot a deer in the back of the head, point-blank, using 180gr .40cal XTPs loaded pretty hot in a 10mm..... brains came out the ears, no exit.

Take from it what you will.
Old February 15, 2011, 08:12 PM   #5
k4swb

As per request from another thread.
I don't use a 1911 but have 5 .45 ACPs at hand. My 200gr XTPs are loaded fairly hot using Unique or WST. They will stop a charging dog right now. I have not tried to recover a bullet because I don't want to handle the nasty critters on the ones that do not exit and am too lazy to look for the ones that do.

Sorry but I do not post actual load data. Too much of a chance for one of us to foul up that way.
Old February 15, 2011, 08:13 PM   #6
DiscoRacing

I have thousands of XTPs layin round here...

.... Ya know what that means.
Old February 15, 2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Redbullitt

they run well for me, are priced well, and are easy to get.

Shot tons and tons of them. No troubles here.
Old February 15, 2011, 08:40 PM   #8
ipscchef

k4,
Understood, I will only give my load data via PM with a disclaimer now for the same reason. Too many variables that could lead to an error. Also another poster took offence to some 45-70 loads that I posted a while back even though they were published data and worked fine in mine and my friends guns. Like I said, I am just looking for some opinions on the performance of the XTP's from those who have used them.
I do appreciate your reply.
Willy
Old February 15, 2011, 08:54 PM   #9
Nnobby45

Hornady's JHP's aren't known for great expansion. Some choose them because they penetrate more.

The original concept of the lighter JHP's was that, given the bullet technology of the time, they needed more velocity to expand--so we saw the popularity of the 185 and 200 gr. JHP's.

Todays better technology has put the 230 gr. JHP back in the driver's seat. HST, Gold Dot, and so forth.

I'll leave it to others to council you on the error of your ways with re: to using your own handloads for SD.
Old February 15, 2011, 10:14 PM   #10
ipscchef

Thanks for the info

Nnobby,
thanks for the info about the reasons for 200gr. vs. 230. It seems that the Gold Dot is the "Gold Standard" these days. And the 230gr. has always been the "proper weight" for the .45acp. That does make sense.
As to the idea of not using handloads for SD, I have read a lot about it, esp. on this forum. I do get it. My handloads will be for use around my farm, there is very little chance that I will be using them for any purpose that will end me up in court. The only threat I forsee on my property is those from 'Yotes, which are becoming increasingly more aggressive, feral dogs and cats, etc.
I intend to have my 1911 loaded with CorBons or something similar when going into public. In other words when the threat may be human, I will have factory loads in it. Although with all due respect to you, Mas and others, I still have not seen a case where handloads have added to the burden of proving self defense in a shooting. The one case that is frequently sighted is not very convincing as far as handloads being a big problem, to me, anyway.
At the present time my "city" carry gun does have handloads in it, and I am not overly concerned. when I find a factory load that duplicates my handloads I will probably use them for carry and my handloads for practice.
But this is for another thread, apparently, this issue needs more thought.
Thanks,
Willy
Old February 15, 2011, 10:42 PM   #11
stu925

While I haven't loaded XTPs in .45ACP, I have loaded them in .45 Colt in the 250gr and 300gr. They seem to shoot very well, but the only bullet I've recovered was from a coyote that I finished of with it as he was trying to crawl away, bullet traveled 2/3 his body length and exited the body only to end up buried in his nose when he tucked his head under his body (I'm still not sure how that happened). Expansion was nil, nose flattened a bit but that was it. Weight retention was excellent though since the bullet was mostly intact, haven't weighed it but probably 95%+. Killed the coyote and that was pretty much all that mattered to me.

Stu
Old February 15, 2011, 11:32 PM   #12
Rifletom

Willy, your thinking on 200gr XTP vs 230XTP is valid. While I'm fairly new to handgun handloading, I've shot the 200gr XTP enough to really like them; very accurate, and I think they have enough "poop" for SD, BUUUT, when I'm out of them, I will going back to the 230gr XTP-HP's just because that seems to be THE best bet for SD in the .45acp. While I'm no expert on this matter by any means, theres too many shooters who think the 230gr works best in the .45acp.
Like I said, still new to this game.
Old February 16, 2011, 06:39 PM   #13
Ozzieman

I have loaded the XTP for 9mm, 44 special and mag and 45 LC they are good bullets and accurate in the 44 including shooting them in a rifle 44 mag.
My only negative comment is pull your bullet seater apart and set the bullet into the seater first before you seat any of them in the case. If the seater does not contact the curved side before the tip it will damage it and you will get very inconsistent COL and poor accuracy.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:27 PM   #14
Wleoff

I've been loading #45140 200 grain HP-XTPs using Power Pistol powder in 1911s with 5" barrels. I load mine to 7.8 grains to get about 950 fps. 8.2 grains, according to the Hornady Handbook, will get 1000 fps, but is the max load.

You can't get 1000 fps with a 230 grain XTP (well, more than once), but a #45160 230 grain HP-XTP will do 900 fps.

I've got a 45 Colt Ruger Redhawk that I use 300 grain #45230 HP-XTPs with Win 296 powder to get to a little less than 1300 fps. Busted the scope on that one on the last outing, but this load really works.