The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Little Johnny

your Local Gander Mountain?

my store has squat for reloading..almost as if they are getting out of the business..is this a problem for anybody else....i do buy powder/primers there to escape a hazmat charge...thats about all they have anyway.....other stuff i buy online...
Old February 6, 2011, 05:43 PM   #2
ojibweindian

The Gander Mtn. in Huntsville, AL has quite a bit of stuff, most of it much more expensive than other places in town.
Old February 6, 2011, 05:49 PM   #3
sc928porsche

Ive always considered Gander Mountain, Cabellas, and Bass Pro to be a bit expensive. Usually I can get my powder and primers at the same price or lower. If it is online, most of my stuff comes from Midway USA.
Old February 6, 2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Sevens

The price on powder and primers at Gander Mountain around here is HAZARDOUS all on it's own.

I sometimes think the guy in charge is completely and entirely gone off his meds.
Old February 6, 2011, 06:45 PM   #5
semi_problomatic

Had the same problem with bass pro in mississippi. Seems there weren't many people buying so they stopped supplying so much. They shipped most their stuff to the baton rouge store; which had great selection.

I have noticed those big stores do cost more, but I've found a local place (ok, an hour away) that has good prices IF you're just buying like 1 or 2 lbs or a different type of primers.

If there's another store thats bigger or close, you may call and see if they have it. Or ask the sales people about their dwindling stock. Thats how I found out about the Jackson/baton rouge bass pro's
Old February 6, 2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Luggo

My Slander Mountain is so expensive it is cheaper to pay the hazmat and buy bulk. Ridiculous pricing...
Old February 6, 2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Hawg

I went to the one in Hattiesburg,MS. one time. Prices were higher than the highest place I've ever been. I did buy a few tins of percussion caps but they weren't what I'd call cheap. Even reasonable is questionable.
Old February 6, 2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Incognito

The one by me has actually increased their reloading isle considerably in the last year, unfortunately GM is on the high-side price wise. Sportman's Warehouse FTW.
Old February 6, 2011, 08:47 PM   #9
George H

Gander Mountain here in Jackson Tn and Bass Pro in Memphis have less than the average reloader has on hand. (My opinion)
Old February 6, 2011, 08:49 PM   #10
misskimo

I pay 45 bucks a lb of powder here in Alaska. So ms shouldn't be half that huh. Born and raised in ms. Wish I could get it lower. But just can't. I do buy my brass and bullets from Natchez though. Flat rate USPS shipping
Old February 6, 2011, 08:52 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

If I am passing by the one in Corsicana, Tx I stop in to pick up some fishing tackle that I can not find here localy. Thier reloading stuff is so high I would not even think about buying there. A jar of vaseline would not make thier prices any less painful.
Old February 6, 2011, 09:51 PM   #12
stu925

Went to the local Gander here over the summer looking for some stuff and all the reloading stuff was gone. Talked to the guy at the gun counter he said that they were told to get rid of it all. Fast forward to the big January "clearance" sale and now there's reloading stuff again at 25% off the regular price which is way too high to start with. 25% off might actually make some of this stuff reasonably priced. Of course they have nothing I can use and they don't stock powder or primers here.

Stu
Old February 6, 2011, 10:26 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Horrible selection, and pricing at 200-400% msrp.

Gander Mountain doesn't get any of my money.
Old February 6, 2011, 11:22 PM   #14
chiefr

This post & its responses mirrors a post on GM several months ago. GM in my area has ridiculously high prices on everything and little reloading supplies. Fortunately, there is a gun shop across the highway that is far superior in stock and prices. I wonder how GM stays in business where I live.
Old February 6, 2011, 11:31 PM   #15
Little Johnny

yup...expensive..don't much care to really go. And the one here also had 30% off on all reloading equipment...i couldnt find any...

same trip, went to buy some .22lr..everbody else in town was out..they had "buy 2 cci, get a free spinner target"...good, says me, i could use another spinner....it expired a year ago, and GM still had up the advertisements..

i also, get most my stuff from midway.
Old February 6, 2011, 11:56 PM   #16
hikingman

Availability of reloading equipment & the prices changed (upward) when the factory ammo shortage began several years ago.
Old February 7, 2011, 01:35 AM   #17
south.texas.dead.I

After reading through this I almost want to send a link to GM maybe wake them up about how much business they're losing, i order my stuff through gamaliel and shipping and hazmat is still considerably cheaper than GM (gm hodgdon clays was 25 or 30 a pound vs about 14 per pound online)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 7, 2011, 04:42 AM   #18
semi_problomatic

That $35 dollar haz-mat feel kills you when you don't buy bulk. But I don't shoot bulk so I never buy bulk. I really guess I should do it once with a bunch of powders and primers so I could play around with the loads some, without forking out my kid's college money... College is over rated anyway, right? but I'd hate to buy a couple pounds of powder that will collect dust when they don't work as well as the others.

Anybody eat or drink at the ram? Powders need to come like their beer sample plate. Like 4 oz of different powders for similar cartridges so you could test each before buying. Same with primers. Primers not so much, because you CAN buy packs of 100.
Old February 7, 2011, 06:44 AM   #19
bossman

Absolutely, as a very last resort.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old February 8, 2011, 05:58 PM   #20
serf 'rett

Short and Long

The reloading aisle is short and looking for pistol bullets takes a long time before one discovers they have none. 1K of CCI small pistol primers will set you back $43.54 including tax. Powder is about 30 percent higher than other LGS. One would think a large company, like GM, would figure out how to buy in volume, sell for less and capture market share. Here in Arkansas, we know how Sam Walton did it.

In fact, it seems that Midway USA, Natchez Shooter Supply, etc. consistently wallop Gander M’s prices in the stuff of interest to me (I’ll show I’m not prejudiced by claiming Bass Pro and Cabela’s also get whomped). I suspect it will be a long time before I feel compelled to buy reloading materials there.
Old February 8, 2011, 11:00 PM   #21
howlnmad

It's been over a year since I've been in the GM in Knoxville Tn. They had everyrhing you needed to reload for elephant or cape buffalo, except powder and primers. Problem is, there aren't a lot of cape in east Tn and the only elephant we hunt are in west Al. Prices were ridiculous on everything too.
Old February 8, 2011, 11:21 PM   #22
William T. Watts

Even with an employee discount they are to expensive to buy from, I no longer consider them a source for reloading components. William/Central Arkansas
Old February 9, 2011, 07:18 AM   #23
Crashbox

I perused their website, checking various items more or less at random- in my opinion the prices should include overnight shipping to Antarctica!
Old February 14, 2011, 10:21 PM   #24
afish4570

Powder choices....Bullets

Local IDPA shooters using Precision Delta for pistol bullets and Powder Valley for powders. afish4570
Old February 15, 2011, 12:06 AM   #25
That'll Do

Gander Mountain's markup on reloading components is outrageous. The only time I bought from them was during the Great Component Shortage of 2008-2009. The had primers ($5 per 100!!!) in stock when no one else did.

Now I buy my primers by the case, and powder in large quantities from Powder Valley. The savings I gain from their great prices easily offsets the hazmat fee. As far as bullets go, I cast a fair amount of my own for handgun use. The balance I buy from Montana Gold Bullet. Rifle bullets are purchased either from MidwayUSA or Cabelas (or whatever online retailer has the best price).