The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 23, 1999, 01:53 PM   #1
cnemeth

I am thinking of buying a Ruger Blackhawk, the .357/.38/9MM model, and I was wondering how popular Modern class is in CAS?

Thanks
chris Nemeth
Old December 23, 1999, 01:57 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

At the Cherokee Cowboys monthly matches,we usually have about 8-10 modern shooters among the 100 or so participants. By far,the biggest catagory is Traditional.

Bellicose Bill
Old December 23, 1999, 04:51 PM   #3
Ned Roundtree

Traditional guns are by far the most popular. Our last match had forty-seven shooters. Three (3) cowboys were MODERN class. Other matches in the commonwealth are the same. I have never come across more than five MODERN shooters at any one match. Match sizes from 37-49 shooters.
Old December 25, 1999, 06:12 PM   #4
Judge Blackhawk

Modern class is quite popular in my house by offical ruling of my wife.

I have several blackhawks, thus the name Judge Blackhawk. Wife has finally put her foot down and said enough is enough on the single action guns. Well that is until I can get my hands on some nice Ruger Vaqueros...

What do you think Judge Vaquero???? naaaawww.. Judge Blackhawk sounds better.

Well in the matches I shoot, there are no more that 6 or 7 modern shooters. The vast majority are vaqueros. But that gives me better odds on get'n in the top ten... smile

Judge Blackhawk
Old December 25, 1999, 06:58 PM   #5
Ned Roundtree

I love the name. Thus you almost have no choice but shoot blackhawks. Blue or stainless?
Old December 25, 1999, 08:56 PM   #6
Judge Blackhawk

Ned ole boy, I shoot mostly stainless Blackhawks. But I got me one of them nice old three scree Blackhawk's with the 9mm cylinder with all the original papers and red velvet pouch for the extra cylinder. I take that one out for weddings and hangings.

Judge Blackhawk

Old December 26, 1999, 08:28 PM   #7
Bullmoose

I shoot modern weapons (stainless New Model Ruger Blackhawks that I got in a good from a buddy) in senior class. Almost all of the top shooters seem to be using Colts or clones. I guess if you want a chance to win a class maybe modern is easier although I never really pay any attention to the winning times. I only need to cut about 5 minutes off of mine and then I can start checking. (What do you want from me anyway, an old man who is new at the sport? I am slow, but make up for it by missing a lot, something wrong there I guess.) Seems that most people using Rugers have gone to the Vaq's. You do have to shoot what you bring, but the choice is yours and it is fun with all of them so pick up what you like. Some people buy the Rugers to use in SASS and hunting, works for them. Size of hands enters into what feels best for you, try them all before you buy. BullMoose