The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Do you use an iPhone
Yes 33 47.14%
No 37 52.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 15, 2011, 11:51 AM   #1
TATER

How many of you reloaders use an i-Phone

Thinking about developing an iPhone app dealing with and around reloading.
I really don’t know what avenue it will take yet – But, I need to get some idea
how many reloaders actually use an iPhone and what features might be included.

Yes - I have an iPhone

No - I don't have an iPhone
Old February 15, 2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Tex S

A JBM type ballistics calculator would be awesome too.
Old February 15, 2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I use an iPhone... and I use JBM ballistics on it... the website works just fine in Safari on the iPhone. It would be nice to have an app made for it though, and one that would work without a signal.
Old February 15, 2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Olympus

The wife says I can use my "allowance" for whatever I want. In my case, I'd rather use it buy more guns and ammo than spend it on an iPhone and the monthly charges associated with it. If I could do both, I'd have an iPhone right now. But guns and ammo are higher on my priority list than an iPhone.

Exhibition quality 1911 grips!
Old February 15, 2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

What is an "i-phone" and why in the world would I want one?

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old February 15, 2011, 02:06 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

I do own two direct competitors of the iPhone, and plan to upgrade one to a new model within the next 2 weeks. It won't be an iPhone, though.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:29 PM   #7
bozhoz

I have an Iphone and just recently, an Ipad. I access the Hodgon's reloading data center via Safari and it works pretty well, however I am limited to the manufacturer's data. I have looked on Itunes for reloading apps, and there just aren't any. I would gladly pay up to $10 for an app that allows me to get access to multiple data sources of reloading information. Seems like it would not be that difficult to create, some selectors for rifle/pistol, cartridge type, and then filters for bullet weight/style, powder type, with a summary screen. One bit of advice I would offer, design it for both the Ipad and Iphone, as using an Iphone app on the Ipad is worthless. Again, you may not get a large customer base volume wise, but those that are looking for this would pay more than your standard app.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Rangefinder

Hell, I don't even use a land-line unless I have to...

Nope, I like my shooting done through experience and knowledge---not gadgets.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:56 PM   #9
south.texas.dead.I

iPhone user here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 15, 2011, 03:58 PM   #10
LarryFlew

if you make the ap make it so it also works on older ipods which I believe more people would have
Old February 15, 2011, 04:02 PM   #11
Mike-Mat

I dont buy Apple products. I do own a cell phone. But I'm not a slave to cell phone's in general.

However if you have an iPhone, I'd be glad to shoot it for you and let you know how my rounds did.

Mike Mattera
Old February 15, 2011, 04:20 PM   #12
Olympus

Quote:
However if you have an iPhone, I'd be glad to shoot it for you and let you know how my rounds did.

Exhibition quality 1911 grips!
Old February 15, 2011, 04:43 PM   #13
Slamfire

No, I don't have an IPhone.

I prefer to stay in the 20th Century.

I would dial it back a couple of centuries if I could.
Old February 15, 2011, 04:49 PM   #14
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Plus about 100 Slamfire!

Yep, I would like to take some of the medical advancements along, but other then that setting the clock back about 60 - 70 years would be a good thing.

I was born in 43, and I remember reloading being done by a family friend during my early years, so setting back that amount of time would for the most part be a very good thing!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old February 15, 2011, 04:56 PM   #15
spacecoast

Quote:
however I am limited to the manufacturer's data
Bozhoz -

Try www.reloadammo.com and www.handloads.com in addition to the powder manufacturers' web sites and what comes with your dies (and reloading manuals of course if you have them).
Old February 15, 2011, 05:04 PM   #16
Tex S

Quote:
What is an "i-phone" and why in the world would I want one?
Surely that is a joke. I find it hard to believe that a person who is computer literate does not know what an iPhone is.

I also find it a bit perplexing that several people have made negative comments toward technology as they type away on their computers that are connected to the Internet.

Just sayin'...
Old February 15, 2011, 06:25 PM   #17
spacecoast

Quote:
I also find it a bit perplexing that several people have made negative comments toward technology as they type away on their computers that are connected to the Internet.
They're just saying that there is a lot about a past age that seems, at least from our busy and information overloaded perspective, attractive. Of course, there's a lot that we would miss too... hot water and electricity being two of the easiest ones I can think of.
Old February 15, 2011, 06:46 PM   #18
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Yep, spacecoast, that is correct.

However, as old of an Ol'Coot as I am, hot water and elect power have been facts of my life since born.

As for being negative about technology, there is a time and a place for it.

And making/receiving calls or text during work hours is NOT one of them!

Used to really get me when I had co-workers receiving and making call after call after call while on the clock.

I'd give an OK to break and or lunch time, but it should be off and not on the person during paid work time!

Texting while driving. That should earn jail time!

Just a Crusty Ol'Coot's opinion.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old February 15, 2011, 09:30 PM   #19
Stargazer

Not thread stealing here but I did find a very cool APP that has helped me int he reloading area. It is called, "PocketScan". It is an APP that allows you to take photos of documents and turn them into .pdf files. That alone is great. But another feature is it allows you to set up directories and folders to download stuff to, or, upload stuff from as well. Has a built in wireless transfer utility that will upload wirelessly files from your computer or any computer on the same network as the iPhone is at the time.

So you have a folder on your computer with .doc files or .pdf files on reloading data. Just upload the files to a folder you can create "within" PocketScan. I have several full length movies on my iPhone in a folder called, "movies". I have uploaded my entire Tacoma manual to this APP. I have uploaded as much as 2 GB at a time folks, it has no limit size wise except your HDD size. Might be worth a look/see.

M70 Web Page
Old February 16, 2011, 02:56 AM   #20
snuffy

I actually do NOT know what a i-phone is.. No I don't have a cell phone. Had one once, it was a constant bother to keep charged up, the battery was bigger than most cell phones are now. I had just had heart surgery, wanted it for an emergency. Turned out it was worthless for where I might need it most, (hunting land), no signal.

My kid just got a Motorola droid, it's neat what it can do, but I would never have one.

I inquired about a pay-as-you-go cell phone. I was told you have to buy "minutes", then that they expire after just 30 days. I only want it for road emergencies, I would hardly ever use it.

Nothing annoys me more than someone walking through a store yapping on a cell phone. Can't they be out of touch with people for even a minute? What is there to talk about?

As for an ape, um appt, ap, what ever the heck that is, if you can't wait until you get home, to access your puter, then you have a problem.

Coot, when I was 3, we had only cistern running water inside plumbing, no water heater. Potable water was in the milk house, was a hand pumped well. Baths were taken after heating water on a 3 burner kerosene stove. Then carrying it upstairs to the bathroom tub. That lasted about a year after moving into that farmhouse, then dad put a jet pump in the well, and installed a water heater on the cistern. These kids now days just don't know how good they got it.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 16, 2011, 03:52 AM   #21
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Snuffy,

You rate about a 1000+ on that post!

A nephew loaned me a cell phone almost 2 years ago when my wife was in the cardiac intensive care and cardiac unit in Spokane for a couple weeks.

At that point and for that reason, it was nice.

However, we went home and the cell went back to the nephew.

A phone or whatever constantly ringing in my ear or someones pocket is a very big pain in the keester! Other then possibly in a business situation, I'm with you, just what is it they can't wait to get home for?

My answering machine works, and takes nice clear messages and that is quick enough 99+% of the time.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; February 18, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old February 17, 2011, 09:54 AM   #22
dmazur

I'm not really a technology fan. I use computers and even write custom software occasionally, when forced to, but I really don't like the acceleration of change that our society has embraced.

Example: I had an old "flip phone" for many years, and it finally started acting unreliable so I thought I'd look for a replacement. The iPhones and Droids looked a little too expensive for my tastes, especially with the data plans. I had been using a Palm PDA to keep track of phone numbers, calendar, and a "todo" list, so I thought maybe Palm had a phone. Well, they sold out to HP and the new versions really weren't a Palm PDA. I found a "new old stock" one out of a warehouse for $50 and I thought, maybe I can get it to work. Verizon still listed it as a supported device, as they were last sold in 2008, two years ago. 3 days later, with help from tech support (over a land line), I got the thing up and running.

I was reasonably happy until tech support asked me why I was messing around with an old phone.

So, that's the problem. The stuff just changes too fast. Software written for an older version may or may not work with a newer model.

The most important question related to apps that run on a phone, perhaps, is "Why does this need to be on a handheld device?". Many apps are shadows of a much easier to use program that runs on a full-sized PC.

An example might be ballistics software. If you can write a decent "dial your shot" bullet drop calculator, someone into long-range shooting, or a police sniper, might see some value in having that on a handheld device. But a full-featured ballistics software program that runs on a PC can export to Excel for graphing, print drop tables, etc. and these features aren't easily supported by a handheld device.

Another example is handheld calculator emulation. An emulation of a scientific calculator is (IMO) an ideal app for a handheld. Same functions as the calculator, same form factor, and no need for a second device. But trying to port Excel to a handheld device? The screen is much smaller, so there is a "tunnel vision" effect compared to PC's, which are trending to larger and larger screens to display more information. And the keyboard can't be full-sized...and when it is displayed as a soft keyboard, the available screen real estate is even smaller.

Sorry for the long reply. Matching the application to the need for a hand-held device can be an important part of planning...
Old February 18, 2011, 09:45 AM   #23
bozhoz

Spacecoast, thanks for the info on those other sites... I'll bookmark those.

As for all the technophobes out there, I get it, but think about it from this perspective. Having a handheld smartphone/tablet computer, I have instant access to all the data I could possibly want plus access to this forum, all right in my hand next to my reloading bench, in addition to my manuals. I used to think the smartphone was amazing, but since I have been using the Ipad, I think this is 100X better. Bigger screen, etc. As it stands, I can access all the websites, but a custom app that compiled a lot of this data together would be worth it's weight in gold. I plop down $20-$30 a year for reloading manuals that are out of date as they come off the printer, I would gladly pay $15-$20 for an app that updates as data becomes available and compiled all manufacturers data at once.
Old February 18, 2011, 09:56 AM   #24
dmazur

Yes, tablet devices make it more appealing. There's the Samsung Tab (which is an Android device) and I understand many other tablets which run eBook reader software as well as Internet browsing, etc.

The 7" or larger screen makes all the difference.

So, yes, I would be interested in reloading data available on a tablet device. (But not a phone...)
Old February 18, 2011, 10:05 AM   #25
flyboyjake

lol, who'd have thunk a post about an I-phone would turn into a couple old nuggets lamenting the days of walking to school uphill both ways. If there were any reason for me to turn back the clock it would be to be in a period of a great education system, and sense of national pride. Both of which I see as the demise of our country.

I-phones are way too expensive for what they do. you cant even change a battery, so when the battery goes after a year, your phone is crap. Get an android based phone if you want aps and such. They are great and plentiful.