The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 11, 2018, 05:19 PM   #26
osbornk

Quote:
I’ve been around a long time, and so has Mossberg. They make a gun that is cheap, too to bottom/end to end. They haven’t made a reliable shotgun since they quit making their bolt action shotguns. The price tag attracts new shooters, I know some who have bought one, but I don’t know anyone who has ever bought 2!
I think the military and many law enforcement agencies might disagree with you. They are made to withstand abuse, mistreatment, dirt and crud because the government demanded that they be reliable. I have a Mossberg 500 and I consider them the Glock of shotguns due to their reliability. There are better shotguns but they are at a much higher price point.
Old October 12, 2018, 03:53 AM   #27
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeIronSights View Post
Hi Everyone,

If you had to rank these four 12 gauge shotguns, which ones would earn the top three places?

Benelli M1 Super 90
Mossberg 590A1 20”
Mossberg 590 Shockwave
Keltec KSG
1. KSG
2. Benelli
3. 590A1

KSG took size to the minimum allowed by law and maximized capacity. There are no shotguns shorter than the KSG that can be bought outside of the NFA tax stamp bull crap. I don't see much of a purpose for the KSG outside of combat, but since all the choices are combat shotguns, I assume that we're basing all this off of what they can do in a fight, not how they would be on the skeet range.

Benelli semi auto is legendary. I'm not a fan of semi auto shotguns, but if I was going into a war zone, I think I'd rather have a semi auto shotgun than a pump.

Mossberg 590A1 is a rock solid piece of excellence.

The Shockwave is a great idea on paper, but if I had to choose, I'd rather get a KSG instead. Shooting off the shoulder is just easier and more accurate. The Shockwave is something that Steven Segal would have loved to have in Out for Justice or some other action movie cuz it looks so tactical cool.