The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 26, 2018, 09:48 AM   #1
Roamin_Wade

Vortex Let Me Down

I’ve been working in a Gun store since February and I have began to see that Vortex scopes have really clear glass, a great selection of reticle’s and apparently a good reputation. A customer came in the other day wanting to buy a scope. As we were going through them I asked if he’d like to look at a Vortex. At this time he said he didn’t want anything made in China. I looked myself and yep, made in China. Most of the others like Nikon are made in the Philippines except for Leupold and the really high end scopes. I was thinking about getting a Vortex but not anymore...
Old August 26, 2018, 10:20 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It's a world economy now. I understand "Made in the USA"... but otherwise, it's "somewhere else". Who cares if it's made in China? Is it quality? You said, apparently, yes.

As I said, "Made in the USA"... great. Otherwise, "I will not buy because it's made on the wrong side of that arbitrary line but I will buy if it's made on the other side of that arbitrary line. Just seems silly.
Old August 26, 2018, 11:49 AM   #3
2wheelwander

https://bestar15scope.org/where-are-vortex-scopes-made/

Better optics for less money. Did you ever read the write up Recoil magazine did on the Sparc? I don't care where its built if the quality and customer service is there, and Vortex delivers IMHO. Half the crap on a Harley is made overseas, but people rant about American made. American labor is expensive, and will continue to be more expensive as high school drop outs want to drive a new car and live above their means on minimum wage. Vortex has a great formula offering an equal or better product than high end brands for less money. I don't care if its made in Antarctica.
Old August 26, 2018, 05:03 PM   #4
Roamin_Wade

My only retort to that is that China, in particular, is actively trying to make our country fold. They knew that we keep track of space debris so we can protect our satellite's. We were tracking under 100 pieces of debris and then China, under the guise of testing a rocket, purposely destroys a satellite and now we have to keep track of thousands of pieces of trash orbiting our planet. That is malicious and in my opinion we shouldn't buy anything from them if possible. Just my opinion...
Old August 26, 2018, 07:37 PM   #5
CLYA

When I was young, a few years before being old enough to drive (early 60's), products made in Japan were considered to be of less quality. That sure changed over the years....……..didn't it?

Same is happening with China produced products. Still have the cheap stuff, but a lot is now high quality.
Old August 26, 2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Rangerrich99

As stated in the link provided to us in post #3 above, only Vortex Crossfire scopes are made in China. The Viper and Diamondback lines are both manufactured in the Phillipines, while the Razor line is made in Japan.
Old August 27, 2018, 11:35 AM   #7
RC20

Its a twisted world. I still have an issue with Chinese and I for sure (sigh) grew up with the junk made in Japan.

Honda, Nikon, Pentax, Toyota et all really did change that. I have some made in Japan scopes I love (Cabella Brand Alaskan Guide)

I work in the field of parts, equipment etc and the reality is that China is two different systems.

1. The one we all know and hate is cheap stuff that may or man not work (cheap extension cords but if you only use it once in a while ok)

2. The other world is firms that either own the factory in China or they work with them to build to the specification and quality they need. Some good stuff (sigh) comes out of that.

Some years back I had to install ceramic hybrid bearings on a motor (details are only of interest to electrical type with VFD background) It failed early, man did that thing howl. Made by Toyota bearing factory, hmmm.

Went with SKF and forget where it was made (some US, some France and some various other locals. Still going as do their regular bearings. No matter where an SKF is made its a good one.

You just have to do the best research you can and hope.

I am not keen on the Philippines stuff either. Fram moved there filters there and it was a bust (wretched a lot of engines) wouldn't touch-one with a 10 foot pole if they made em in the US again.

I think Redfield/Leupold had a line of scopes made in Philippines but no longer.
Old August 27, 2018, 12:06 PM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

We are to discuss the quality of a particular doohickey. Does it work or not.

General comments on trade policies and other countries are irrelevant. Vent elsewhere. I will leave this open if you stick to that. Wander off and it closes.

If someone has a critique of the scope in question - say so. If not - let's not.
Old August 27, 2018, 09:15 PM   #9
2ndtimer

I have no experience with the Vortex scopes from China. However, I have had a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 mounted on my Stag Model 6 for a few years now and have been quite pleased with it. ( a little short on eye reief, but clarity, brightness, adjustments, mil-dot reticle and 30 mm tube are good to go). It was assembled in the Philippines, as we're my Intensity scopes., the Burris Fullfield II's I had, and my Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40. All have been or still are, quality serviceable scopes. If you demand made in USA scopes, it is either Leupold/Redfield or a four figure price tag. And even then, the majority of the very expensive scopes use lenses from Japan. Imported does not necessarily mean low quality.
Old August 27, 2018, 09:30 PM   #10
std7mag

I have 3 Vortex CrossfireII scopes. 2 are 4-12X42, and 1 is a 6-18X44AO.
All have BDC reticles. I find the glass to be clear, and the adjustments to be positive.
As a hunting scope the 4-12X42 has worked really well.

I also have a 4-12 Diamondback, that while costing more, i'm not as happy with.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 28, 2018, 12:20 AM   #11
Pathfinder45

I, for one, do care about where things are made. Without getting into the politics of it all, I believe that the buyer has a right to know. Since this is a forum about guns and related accessories, we can keep it about just that, and still ask where these these things are built. Why you want to know is your business and we don't have to go into all those details. But you have a right to ask and to know.
I like some Leupolds and some Weavers; I have my reasons.
Old August 28, 2018, 08:33 AM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

Of course we should know where things are made. Trade policies though aren't our thing.
Old August 28, 2018, 10:58 AM   #13
Sharkbite

I use a number of Vortex scopes. My FN SPR has one, my 10-22 has one, one of my AR’s has one, i have a venom on a Glock. The list goes on.

All of my guns are hard use tools. No safe queens. I have never had an issue with ANY of the Vortex products.

I wanted to have the scope on the FN painted to match the rifle. I called Vortex and asked if the scope could be sprayed and baked or if that would ruin or void the warranty. Their response....go ahead, if the scope gets damaged, we’ll replace it. THAT is a no BS warranty.
Old August 28, 2018, 11:36 AM   #14
Ledslnger

Even stuff asssmbled in America has some Chinese made parts. Better not buy anything then. Start making your own stone parts if Vortex isn’t good enough for you.