The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 14, 2011, 07:55 PM   #26
sonoma22

Well, I will tell you guys about tristar.. I bought a Phantom about 10 yrs ago for around $325(I think).. at the time I had a cheap O/U from American Arms, Which I guess Tristar took over and 2 mossberg pumps(500,835) and a winchester pump... as you can see, nothing expensive. I shot trap/skeet and pheasant and rabbits and ducks and doves with that gun for a few years.. I dont know how many 1000's of rounds I put in that gun.. But I can tell you this.. The very 1st problem was the firing pin breaking and this happened while on a duck hunt.

The 2nd problem was this plastic buffer that busted up and broke apart located at the top of the stock where the bolt slams back against. I never got that fixed, but still shot a few 1000 rounds after that.

The 3rd and 4th problem was the firing again.. Probably due to the buffer missing.. The customer service is GOOD, I could always get parts from them.. The gun was easy to clean but does require maintenance. I had a set or 0 rings and firing pins on deck. Note I cleaned and oiled the gun as much as i shot it. The gun eventually had major 2 problems.
The 5th was what seemed like a small hole through the barrel where the welding on the barrel meets the hole/nut that goes over the magazine while you're putting it back together.. eventually powder burns were visible in that area and I could scrap off burnt powder on the outside of the barrel at that spot.
The final problem which was never solved.. was that after my 1st shot the gun would not load the 2nd shot all the way. This was not apparent however because I thought that something was wrong with the trigger assembly. It appeared that the hammer was reaching the firing pin but not enough to push it to strike the primer/shell. but upon further review the slide was actually not going forward all the way and stopping about 2mm short. Just never found out what it was..it wasnt the spring, I thought maybe plastic buildup in the barrel but that wasn't it.
Anyways, draw what you want from that.. but mind you this was after a few thousand rds and probably more than it was designed to handle. Including a missing buffer... I would shoot skeet and trap twice a week, easily putting in 100 to 150 to 200 rds at a time. And I preferred it over the O/U at the range. I sold it to a pawn shop eventually, but i'll never buy another semi-auto from them. BUT I will get this camo mag o/u. That's how I ended up on this forum. Trying to research that gun.

I see somebody was talking about how the O/U has a feature that selects which barrel to shoot first.. On that cheapo American Arms O/U I had from Big 5 sporting goods. It had that feature on it as well.
Old November 17, 2011, 08:47 PM   #27
GroovyMike

trouble shooting the Tristar semi?

My Tristar semi auto 12 gauge has functioned perfectly for a year or so but locked up. I disassembled and cleaned but now the barrel will not seat all the way into the receiver. I cant get the dang thing back together. Tried taking the trigger group out and various combinations of safety on, hammer down or the reverse. Frustrating as all get out because it should be EASY. Can't find anything about reassembly in the manual or anywhere on the web that tells me I'm doing anything wrong. ANy suggestions?
Old November 18, 2011, 12:32 PM   #28
BigJimP

As you go to seat the barrel into the receiver ...retract the bolt an inch or so inside the receiver ( by holding back the bolt handle ) ...and move the bolt a 1/2" or so each way ...and push barrel into the receiver and it should seat.

A question like this would be best served to start a new thread ...not just on an older one / where noone might look at it - except by chance....like I did...
Old November 18, 2011, 12:57 PM   #29
oneounceload

If it works similarly to most semi guns, the bolt assembly should be locked back into what is usually the "last shot open" position. The barrel should fit on, forearm, etc, replaced, then close the bolt

And I agree with Jim, new thread is better than one this old, but hopefully if that doesn't help, someone will come along with a better method
Old November 18, 2011, 08:11 PM   #30
GroovyMike

no luck

Slide must be forwad to seat the barrel in the receiver. Bolt will go back with teh barrel until about a half inch remains. Then it simply will not go further. No side to side movement possible....
I'm going to have to call them tomorrow and if that fails, I will take it to the gunsmith.

Posting here was an atytempt to bring in the subscribers to teh thread who actally have Tristar guns....
Old November 20, 2011, 08:58 PM   #31
gunshott

Viper G2

I purchaced a Tri Star Viper G2 semi auto shotgun in 2009 and followed all of the manufacture recomend instructions. After shooting approximatly 50 rounds, no problems. I dissasembled for cleaning and noticed the gas piston had small chips on one side and the action spring was broken in 5 peices. Has anyone had this problem. I beleive that the gas piston came this way from the manufacture but not sure, I can not see any wear on any parts for the gas piston to get these chips and unsure why the action spring would have broken in 5 peices. I will try and call to see if they will replace these parts under the 5 year warranty. hopefully I can just send the broken parts and they will replace them.
If anyone has had this problem please post, I will follow up if Tri Star responds.

Gary
Old February 15, 2012, 11:21 AM   #32
GroovyMike

The rest of the story....

The rest of the story....I ended up taking my Tristar to my local gunsmith. At some point in my disassembly and reassembly procedure a coil of spring had slipped over an edge in the hammer/trigger group and was blocking it from seating fully where it belonged. It took awhile to figure out but no new parts were needed and it only cost me ten bucks to get it back in working order.
Old February 15, 2012, 03:13 PM   #33
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I love happy endings....