The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 1, 2018, 09:18 AM   #51
Erno86

COSteve-

They do sell a buffer spring that gets rid of that "tinny" sound, but as of now, I forgot which company sells them.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; September 1, 2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old September 1, 2018, 09:39 AM   #52
Erno86

I just googled it: Tubb's Precision AR15 Stainless Steel Buffer Spring...though I haven't bought one that would verify it removes the "tinny" sound --- Though it's the next on my list.

http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-bufferspring

--- George Orwell
Old September 1, 2018, 10:02 AM   #53
Ben Dover

I have two safes full of guns. A few old timers with wood and bluing. I feel no attachment to them.

I would never sell an AR. When I pick up an AR it's like an extension of my arm and hand. IOW, it's perfect. I have similar feelings for new Remington 700s with synthetic stocks

I intensely dislike wood on a gun. Give me an AR and a Glock and I'm happy.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 1, 2018, 10:39 AM   #54
rickyrick

Some people do have a fixation with inanimate objects. Some people feel insulted when others don’t feel how they feel.

Some people are enamored with a particular type of rifle. ARs seem to be what many people are in love with at the moment.

Nothing wrong if you have fond feeling for a particular gun or type of gun, everyone has a thing.

To me they are nothing more than a fun hobby, I have other fun hobbies.
Old September 13, 2018, 07:57 AM   #55
gunrunner1

I think the AR is the best rifle platform every created personally. Cheap, easy to assemble, very accurate, reliable, light recoil, endless amounts of options. I can swap barrel lengths and setups in a few seconds by pushing a pin and swapping uppers. If I shoot out a barrel I can replace it cheaply and easily, where as on an AK for example its a much harder process and can only be done a limited number of times. There are a small handful of rifles I implicitly trust as a true self defense rifle, and besides the AR and AK's the rest are double the price or more. I wouldn't trade my BCM AR's for anything and they are easily my favorite rifles and the ones I can truly trust to work when I need them to.

My thoughts exactly.
Old September 14, 2018, 03:31 PM   #56
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline45 View Post
I think the AR is the best rifle platform every created personally. Cheap, easy to assemble, very accurate, reliable, light recoil, endless amounts of options. I can swap barrel lengths and setups in a few seconds by pushing a pin and swapping uppers. If I shoot out a barrel I can replace it cheaply and easily, where as on an AK for example its a much harder process and can only be done a limited number of times. There are a small handfull of rifles I implicitly trust as a true self defense rifle, and besides the AR and AK's the rest are double the price or more. I wouldn't trade my BCM AR's for anything and they are easily my favorite rifles and the ones I can truly trust to work when I need them to.
That's why ARs are the Barbie Dolls of the Gun World; you can dress them any way you want!!!

Seriously, it's just a preference some of us have. Many because we grew up and learned to shoot before ARs were on the scene. It's like the hot cars of today vs the Muscle Cars of the 60's and 70's or the classic hot rods made from cars from the 30's. Yes, the current crop of performance cars have fuel injection, more hp, better transmissions, better suspension, better tires, better brakes, rack and pinion, a/c, power windows, great stereos, bluetooth, and on and on but they don't have the personality of the Muscle Cars or the hot rods made from cars of the 30's.

That's why the customizers are making a fortune making Resto Mods; modern engine/transmissions combo dropped into modern frames with all the current technology suspension, steering, brakes, shocks, etc., older Muscle Car or 30's bodies dropped on the frames and then outfitted with all the modern interior appointments to make them brand new '69 Cameros, '70 Chevelles and El Caminos, brand new '33 Vickies, and all the other classics.

It's intangible, the feeling many of us have picking up a fine walnut and steel rifle, a solid semi-auto Battle Rifle, the unique feel of a lever action carbine. We just don't feel that with an AR. You've seen the pictures of my ARs. Both are terrific shooters, relatively light weight, solid, and trouble free. Heck, I shoot medium sized apples at 400+ yds with my A4! They are great examples of precision ARs . . . . . . . . . but they don't move me like my Mini, my M1A, my M1 Garands, my M1 Carbines, or especially my leverguns do.

Those rifles and carbines evoke a sense of one with the platform missing when I pick up the ARs. The ARs aren't bad or defective or anything. I can't tell you what it is or isn't, I just know I get bored shooting my ARs but I get excited shooting all the others.
Old September 14, 2018, 03:49 PM   #57
stagpanther

Quote:
or especially my leverguns do.
I get that--my levers just speak to me too--especially old school irons; which even though my eyesight totally sucks I still get a special joy out of shooting my levers with irons. But I ALSO get a kick out of shooting one hole groups with AR's that I built myself.
Old September 14, 2018, 05:19 PM   #58
Double Naught Spy

I like my ARs because they are so customizable to have what I want, work the way I want, fit the way I want. It seems that just about every part has many manufacturers and comes in a variety of shapes/sizes.

For me, it is a tool, a very customizable tool that can be made to do exactly what I want it to do and I like that.
Old September 14, 2018, 07:26 PM   #59
pete2

I have a couple ARs, not attached to either, I own a Glock, not attached to it either. I fail to see what all the fuss is about the AR or the Glock. I do have a Model 88 Winchester, a Citori shotgun and some S&W revolvers and 1911 pistols that I am attached to, also, 3 10/22s and a CZ that I like.
Old September 17, 2018, 09:16 AM   #60
Skans

Quote:
Anyone have an AR they absolutely love and will keep forever?
I love my AR's more than the little bit of money I could get for them!
Old September 18, 2018, 02:58 PM   #61
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
I have a couple ARs, not attached to either . . . I do have a Model 88 Winchester . . . and 1911 pistols that I am attached to . . .
Love my Winchester 88 and Springfield Mil-Spec and Range Officer pistols in 45acp. Add 7 other leverguns, a couple of M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, an M1A, and my 'Mini' M14 and a couple of SA pistols as well as a custom Glock G20/21L I developed way back in 2004 and I in heaven. Try as I might, I can't find another rifle I want.
Old September 18, 2018, 03:09 PM   #62
stagpanther

Quote:
Try as I might, I can't find another rifle I want
I don't have that problem. If the dies aren't in my rack--well, that becomes a need for a new rifle. ; )