The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 8, 2009, 06:36 PM   #26
B. Lahey

Go with a Colt. They are better and cheaper than the other high-end 1911s.

Call Wild West Guns and ask for Ken for silly deals on Colts- (800) 992-4570
Old October 8, 2009, 06:50 PM   #27
gyvel

Quote:
Colt is to 1911s what Harley is to v-twin motorcycles. Certain makes just have that intangible "something" that others lack.
You mean Colts leak oil too?
Old October 9, 2009, 03:32 PM   #28
Steam Boat

Lucky Guy,
Go with the full sized frames on the 1911's, Big hands + little frame = problems.

I was in my favorite gun shop the other day when a customer who had recently purchased his first 1911 type hand gun (Short framed, 3" barrel) came in complaining that the magazine would not fall free when pushing the mag. release button. After the sales person tried 8-10 times with no malfunctions, he asked the customer to demonstrate how he did it. It turns out that the meaty lower part of his hand slightly overlapped the magazine opening and not let it fall free.
Old October 9, 2009, 05:52 PM   #29
uncledewey

I have a Kimber CDP Pro II and a Springfield Loaded Government. And my favorite is the Springfield, just something about the feel of a full size 1911. And someone that size would have no problem with a full size 1911. The belt and holster is a major part of the equation when carrying a 40 oz. pistol (empty) The Kimber is 28 oz. I have a Kirkpatrick Texas Strong Side holster (got the 4" but the 5" barrel fits as well), and my belt is about 1/4" thick with kydex sandwiched between two pieces of leather. Attached is pic of my Springfield, and it is sweet gun, and is quite accurate. The price on these is very reasonable also. The Kimber is a great gun also, I tend to carry it more than the Springfield because of weight, and the Crimson Trace Laser Grips. But Colt, Kimber, Springfield you can't go wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911 prairie rattler.jpg (245.4 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by uncledewey; October 9, 2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: misunderstood at first reading.
Old October 9, 2009, 07:36 PM   #30
Legasat

The Dan Wessons are the best value around (IMHO)

Old October 10, 2009, 08:43 AM   #31
skoro

Quote:
You mean Colts leak oil too?
No, that's not what I meant, but I hear what you're sayin'...
Old October 10, 2009, 05:34 PM   #32
cycleguru

I just traded a new bicycle (I own a bike shop) for a Colt 1911; the Combat Commander. It's oh so sweet! I'm a big guy too, 6-4, and have big paws. It's a perfect fit and I love it. I'm a former Marine too, by the way. Semper Fi!
Old October 10, 2009, 06:25 PM   #33
Christian James

You're very generous, and your boyfriend is a very lucky guy. I would suggest a Colt 1918 Commemorative. Classic 1911, it's what most people picture when they think of the iconic handgun.
Old October 12, 2009, 10:29 AM   #34
fshmonger

Thanks again everyone for your info! Because of my worry with fit I told him that I was planning on getting him a gun for Christmas and asked if he would like to shop with me- He said to surprise him but that his favorite gun was the .45 Kimber Gold Match- hehe! So I must have good intutition there!

I will be taking him out to see the feel of some of the suggestions here and let you know how it goes!

Thanks for all of the help!

Lynne
Old October 12, 2009, 11:16 AM   #35
williamd

Have several. 1911 frames/grips on a full size gun are essentially the same. Changing grips can help with large hands/long fingers. Finding a good used (out of production) Series 70 Colt as recommended may not be real easy. I have Series 70s and Series 80s and can really tell no difference though you will hear a lot of 'information' re the firing pin safety in the 80. Moslty bunk!. Personal perference order [which should mean little to you!] ... Colt (after all they are the 1911 guys), Springfiled Armory ('fully loaded'), ParaOrdance, Kimber, Charles Daly. Have not tried the Taurus but like the writeups. Having listed those, there are some custon/semicustom makers that are superb ... at a premium.
Old October 12, 2009, 12:32 PM   #36
abuyalos

I own both a Kimber and a Colt 1911, and while Colt has the name going for it Kimber is the way to go. The fit and finish of my Kimber is much better, and it is overall a better gun. It's more accurate and I trust it more, although as many people have said it's hard to go wrong with a 1911. The design is just unbeatable. That's a great birthday gift, I need to get you my girlfriend's number.
Old October 12, 2009, 03:20 PM   #37
shortwave

Had a bad experience with a Kimber a few years back. The problem with the gun isn`t the reason I don`t recommend them today. I don`t recommend them today cause of the CS I recieved when dealing with this firearm. Wasn`t a pleasant experience. Its a shame cause although IMO, Kimbers don`t have the fit of a Dan Wesson, they(Kimbers) are just beautiful. That said,Dan Wesson, Colt or a full size Para Ordnance(if range gun,long slide) gets my vote, in that order. Pleeeaase check out the LDA trigger on the Para`s. Have not shot the Taurus so other than the reviews, can`t speak for them.
Old October 12, 2009, 04:44 PM   #38
44Magnum

The Kimber Gold Match is an outstanding 1911. I own two Kimbers myself. Your man has good taste in guns!
Old October 13, 2009, 01:41 AM   #39
radwjw

1911 to buy boyfriend

IMHO for the price range you seem to be looking at my top two choices would be a Dan Wesson CBOB or a Kimber. I happen to have a Pro Crimson Carry II which has the added advantage of laser sighting at no real additional cost. I've owned four Kimbers and never had one problem. They are reliable, very accurate, remarkable triggers, great fit and finish. The Dan Wesson is a great gun that is difficult to beat for the cost, and IMO ranks equal to Kimber. IMO for the price no other guns come close. To outfit a Springfield/Colt/etc. to the accuracy, reliability, finish, etc of these two guns would bring them above the Kimber and Dan Wesson's price. People have the erroneous opinion that Kimbers cost a lot of money; they make a lot of models for well under $1000. My Pro Carry Crimson II I got for less than $900. Yea, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, etc. are the best, but you're talking $2000+, they better be good. Now you are talking a completely different price range and gun. You can't compare these guns to Kimber or Dan Wesson because they cost twice as much and more.
However if your boyfriend is partial to Springfields/Colts/any well established gun manufaturar they all have their good points and will serve him well. Just stay away from "newcomers' or really cheap guns- you get what you pay for.

radwjw
Old October 13, 2009, 02:01 AM   #40
PancakeOfDoom

i haven't shot a kimber, they feel good in the hand though. i have gotten to shot a springfield Loaded, and loved it. i'm nowhere as big as your boyfriend, but at 6'0" 205lbs it fit me just fine, i can't imagine it feeling too small in anybody's hand, or too large for that matter, if that makes any sense. can't go wrong with a 1911 IMHO. if it were me i'd second that dan wesson cbob, or the kimber tactical (really, you can't go wrong).

Tags
.45 acp , 1911