The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 18, 2017, 08:19 PM   #1
pgb205

Thought on this AR as my first

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...-ii-5.56-rifle

+column:
1. forward assist
2. dust cover

-column
made by SW with which I had bad experience
Doesn't have heavy barrel. But do I even need one

Does this rifle not have anything else that would generally be desirable in AR. Or has something that is considered a minus?

I would want it to have an optic and a 3-point sling.
Old June 18, 2017, 08:25 PM   #2
Eazyeach

My 1st AR15 was a S&W sport and I never had any problems. In fact I'm using the lower combined with my BCM upper as my home defense weapon. I don't know much about a 3 pt sling but they seem unnecessarily complicated to me. I'd get a standard GI surplus sling or a proctor sling. I have a proctor sling and love it.
Old June 18, 2017, 08:42 PM   #3
turtlehead

Looks good.
Old June 18, 2017, 08:48 PM   #4
pgb205

also wanted to be 100% sure that 5.56 mm NATO caliber is the one that is most commonly used with ARs
Old June 18, 2017, 09:01 PM   #5
Targa

Nothing wrong with the Smith, I have a AR that costs 2x as much and it can't do a thing the M&P can't do at least with a regular operator like me behind the wheel. However, if it were my money I would go with this over the Smith just for a few upgrades...http://www.brownells.com/firearms/ri...prod82606.aspx
Old June 18, 2017, 09:06 PM   #6
Rockrivr1

I have the Sport II from S&W with several thousand rounds put down the bbl without any issue. Don't think you can go wrong with that purchase.
Old June 18, 2017, 09:11 PM   #7
Mobuck

"also wanted to be 100% sure that 5.56 mm NATO caliber is the one that is most commonly used with ARs"

a 5.56 mil-spec chamber is "one" of the common choices. For a recreational carbine, the 5.56 is likely the best choice.
Old June 18, 2017, 09:52 PM   #8
turtlehead

This one will give you more flexibility to customize.

http://www.brownells.com/firearms/ri...RO%2bPRECISION

Often recommended on this forum.
Old June 18, 2017, 10:11 PM   #9
Chainsaw.

Dust cover is fine. Forward assist is completely useless.

Smith is just fine and dandy. You dong really meed a heavy barrel, unless you want the gun....heavy.

Just shoot the damn thing.
Old June 18, 2017, 10:19 PM   #10
O4L

There's nothing wrong with the Sport II but I've seen better prices on them.

I personally like the midlength gas system like the Aeros in the links from Brownell's.
Old June 18, 2017, 11:07 PM   #11
ed308

Forward assist is completely useless.

Except in situations where the bolt didn't close all the way or when you want to ease the bolt into battery quietly.
Old June 18, 2017, 11:16 PM   #12
rickyrick

It looks fine for the money.

Some may scoff at the 4140 1:9" barrel, but it's totally fine for any realistic purpose.
Old June 19, 2017, 02:05 AM   #13
marine6680

You don't "need" a heavy barrel in an AR... Unless you are planning on doing a lot of mag dumps and need the heat tolerance. Or are going for a precision bench gun, and spending a ton on a target barrel.

The standard "government" profile is standard and popular... But thin "pencil" barrels are also popular, and "enhanced light weight" barrels that try to balance lower weight with better strength than pencil barrels, is gaining ground.

The Sport II is by all accounts a solid entry level rifle.

I personally prefer the mid gas system on a 16in barreled AR. The Sport II is the shorter carbine length.

Midlength gas systems are smoother shooting, more reliable on the whole, and offer a longer handguard, which I think is more comfortable, and looks good too.

The two Aero Precision models listed/linked above, are my go to low cost suggestion. They punch above their weight, and are spec'ed very well... Near mil spec. And where not strictly mil spec, are at least close or equivalent. (nitrided barrels instead of chrome lined for example, they are arguable as good as chrome lined on the whole, and have some advantages over chrome lined)

The Aero is speced better than the Sport II, while keeping the cost roughly similar. Just a better rifle IMO.

5.56 is the best chamber for an all around, general purpose rifle. They can even provide very good accuracy, more than most shooters can actually put to use, but a quality 223 barrel will always be more accurate on average, than an equivalent quality 556 barrel. Unless you are a bench shooter, you are not likely to know/see the difference at the range.
Old June 19, 2017, 09:10 AM   #14
CDR_Glock

I'm not a fan of a 1:9 twist because I prefer heavier grain bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old June 19, 2017, 12:34 PM   #15
kenny53

I have shot both the Sport and Sport II, they are fine guns. I would shop around for a better price but would not hesitate in buying one.
Old June 19, 2017, 02:14 PM   #16
mellow_c

I hate to take the easy road here, but... I second everything marine6680 said
Old June 19, 2017, 10:14 PM   #17
shaunpain

Quote:
mellow_c I hate to take the easy road here, but... I second everything marine6680 said
And I third. Aero is the way to go. All mil-spec parts will be accepted by their rifles. I prefer nitride for most parts if I have a choice as they will likely last several lifetimes and they are inexpensive. Just assembled a mid-length 16" rifle with a H2 buffer and it's a poodle.
Old June 19, 2017, 10:32 PM   #18
Targa

The only negative I would say about the Aero is the buffer spring. Mine broke from what I can tell just for the hell of it lol. Decided to look it up and apparantly it is not an isolated event.
Old June 19, 2017, 11:04 PM   #19
osbornk

My first (and only) AR is the Sport II. I am very pleased with it.
Old June 20, 2017, 01:21 AM   #20
stagpanther

The only thing I would advise is that getting the front fixed sight post off can be a bit of a pain if you decide you don't want it
Old June 20, 2017, 02:35 AM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Forward assist is completely useless.
Quote:
Except in situations where the bolt didn't close all the way or when you want to ease the bolt into battery quietly.
In my experience, the forward assist is not totally useless. It a good way to turn a slightly jammed rifle into a VERY jammed rifle, one that will need to be partially disassembled to clear!

And, for me, there's nothing I do with an AR that makes quietly chambering a round important.

I don't have personal experience with their ARs but I've owned a lot of S&W revolvers, and my son has one of their 1911A1 pattern guns, all were well made.

And, think about this, if there is something wrong, who do you want to deal with, S&W or Bubba's Garage AR build?
Old June 20, 2017, 04:46 AM   #22
Eazyeach

Pertaining to front sight post removal: I was in my favorite LGS yesterday and noticed the sport 2 optic ready carbine. So there you go. It's like $50 more.
Old June 20, 2017, 09:47 AM   #23
Fishbed77

Quote:
And, for me, there's nothing I do with an AR that makes quietly chambering a round important.
If you ever take an AR hunting, it's useful.
Old June 20, 2017, 10:02 AM   #24
stagpanther

Quote:
If you ever take an AR hunting, it's useful.
I've hunted with an AR--I'd still prefer to drop the bolt on a round before heading into the bush than risk not getting it chambered properly with the FA--do you REALLY do that? Just asking.
Old June 20, 2017, 11:29 AM   #25
rickyrick

I've hunted a gazillion times and never once felt the need to sneak a stealthy round into the chamber. Either you are ready to hunt or you aren't. Hunting with an empty chamber seems kinda silly to me. If I'm not ready when a shot presents itself, I'll just wait till the next time.
The FA is not for sneaking bullets into the chamber. It's for forcing a round into a gun in dire circumstances.
All of my semiautos are chambered using the full force of the action. Anything else is asking for a "click" when there should've been a "bang".