The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 23, 2018, 09:38 PM   #1
rc1988

FN 509

Good evening,

Does any of you folks have any experience with these pistols? I know it is a relatively new or release. Long story short my LGS has them on sale for $389. Their wholesaler is liquidating there inventory.

I really like the way it feels; however, I’ve read some mixed reviews regarding FN semi auto pistols.

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2018, 09:54 PM   #2
JMag1

I would run to get at least one 509 at that price. While I don’t own one, as yet, I’ve heard/read nothing but good about the 509.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old May 24, 2018, 06:50 AM   #3
Longhorn1986

$389 is a steal!!!!

I have had one since the beginning of the year and have been very pleased with it. It is my first striker fired/polymer and my 1st 9mm, (I'm a .45 acp/.357 magnum guy). I was pleasantly surprised with its accuracy and ease of use. I know some say that the trigger could be improved, but I feel that it's at least as good as my wife's P320. #The only change I have made is I upgraded the sights to Tru-Glo TFX Pros. The pistol uses Sig #8 sized sights both front and rear if you go that route. As far as reliabilty goes, I have yet to experience a malfunction with a variety of ammo.

I was highly skeptical when I first bought it, but have warmed to the pistol to the point where it has become my primary EDC.

If you're looking for a lot of aftermarket options like some brands (e.g. Glock), you'll find the options are limited. Apex is coming out with a new trigger in the next month or two, but that and sights are about it. I don't feel the need to modify it further. Mine does anything I've asked of it and does it well.

Of course, I can only offer my personal views and experiences. YMMV.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old May 24, 2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Fishbed77

It looks like the 509 is the latest in an a long line of FN pistols (including the Forty-Nine, FNP, FNX, and FNS) that hit the market with a lot of hooplah, but ultimately are adopted by no major LE agencies or military services, receive almost no factory or third-party aftermarket support, and start getting sold for heavily-discounted or clearance prices.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77
It looks like the 509 is the latest in an a long line of FN pistols (including the Forty-Nine, FNP, FNX, and FNS) that hit the market with a lot of hooplah, but ultimately are adopted by no major LE agencies or military services, receive almost no factory or third-party aftermarket support, and start getting sold for heavily-discounted or clearance prices.
Apex Tactical has been working on after-market trigger upgrades for the FNS and 509 with a tentative market date of July. The triggers are about the only part of the FNS and 509 designs that some say really need improvement -- but the stock triggers are comparable to many of the competing striker-fired guns. (The FN509 is a slightly redesigned version of the FNS gun, with many components shared or compatible.)

FN has has long had a heavy focus on military-type weapons -- and FN-made automatic weapons for land, sea and air forces are widely used by the US and many other militaries; these weapons remain a key FN marketing focus.

While the FNS9 and FNS40 have been picked up by a couple of medium-sized police departments, I don't expect a lot of police agencies to switch to the FN weapons until such time as FN-USA offers the same sort of major discounts that Glock and S&W have used to buy their way into the LEO market.

I also think FN has to learn how to sell weapons to civilians, but the fact that FN has greatly lowered the consumer price of their FNS line of weapons over the past year may be a sign that they're trying.

The handguns FN offers are all very-well designed, first-rate weapons with a superior warranty (i.e., you don't have to be the original purchaser to get warranty service.) FN does it right!! When shooting a FN handgun they just don't FEEL like many of the polymer weapons, and I like that.

I've got several FNS semi-autos, and an FNS9c coming in the next week. Last year I picked up an EFK Firedragon 9mm conversion barrel for my FNS-40, and an extra 9mm magazine or two, so that gun can do either .40 or 9mm. It shoots 9mm hardball from the .40 mag just fine but doesn't seem to like the sharp open mouth of the one brand of 9mm self-defense ammo I've tried -- which bites into the feed ramp when using a .40 magazine. No problem when using a 9mm magazine.

I also like CZs and will be stuck on the horns of a dilemma if I see a P-09 and FN509 up for sale or trade on a local forum in the near future, trying to figure which one to go for...

I also had a Browning T-Series BHP for almost almost two decades and it was a fine weapon... but I just didn't shoot it a lot, and traded it away, recently.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; May 24, 2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:04 AM   #6
jackstrawIII

Must buy. Period.
Old May 24, 2018, 01:41 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
The handguns FN offers are all very-well designed, first-rate weapons with a superior warranty (i.e., you don't have to be the original purchaser to get warranty service.) FN does it right!! When shooting a FN handgun they just don't FEEL like many of the polymer weapons, and I like that.
Walt, I agree with you that the current FN pistols are fine pistols (though none of them have features that really bring them to the top of the heap of polymer service-sized handguns IMHO), and FN's military legacy is undeniable, I am just commenting on their recent history with regards to actually selling these pistols.

FN clearly has no idea how to really move these pistols the way competitors do (even competitors like Ruger, CZ, and Walther, who don't depend on large contract sales in the US), or they just don't care to. And questionable decisions (like muddying their product line with the 509, pricing FNS & 509 mags in the $45-$50 range, and the lack of mag compatibility among their own products) do nothing to to help sales.

That said, $389 sounds like a really good price for a 509, assuming the OP doesn't care to stock up on extra mags (which will quickly offset the savings vs some competing pistol designs).
Old May 24, 2018, 01:59 PM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
I also like CZs and will be stuck on the horns of a dilemma if I see a P-09 and FN509 up for sale or trade on a local forum in the near future, trying to figure which one to go for...
I can't speak for the P09, but I own the slightly smaller P07 and it is an amazing shooter - it has quickly risen to become one of my favorite polymer-framed pistols. It is hands-down a better pistol than any of the recent hammer-fired FNs (FNP & FNX), although it's hard to compare directly to the 509 due to the very different trigger, though I'd personally give the edge to the P07/P09. Just be prepared for some overpriced mags for it as well ($45-50 for P07 & P09 mags, though the P07 can use $30 P10C mags).

Quote:
I also had a Browning T-Series BHP for almost almost two decades and it was a fine weapon... but I just didn't shoot it a lot, and traded it away, recently.
I've actually begun to migrate back to acquiring and shooting some of the older steel/alloy framed designs (CZ75, P226, BHP), now that many can be found for good prices on the surplus market if you look hard enough and aren't interested in a perfect specimen. I have an Israeli-surplus FN-marked early Mk. III BHP. It's fun to shoot, but quickly shows you how semi-auto pistols have advanced in the 30 years or so since it was manufactured (and the 80+ years since it was designed).

Last edited by Fishbed77; May 25, 2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old May 25, 2018, 08:49 AM   #9
jr24

That's a darned good price. I'd be hard pressed to pass up on one at that price, though I am perfectly set with my Glocks (but we can't have too many new guns, can we?)

Quote:
I was highly skeptical when I first bought it, but have warmed to the pistol to the point where it has become my primary EDC.
But all the Glock 19X naysayers (its the same size as the 509) say we CAN'T carry a gun that size and it makes no sense!

I haven't yet seen a 509 in person but I am very interested once I finally run into one, still waiting/hoping my local indoor range gets one to rent so I can try it out.
Old May 25, 2018, 09:07 AM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I can't speak for the P09, but I own the slightly smaller P07 and it is an amazing shooter - it has quickly risen to become one of my favorite polymer-framed pistols.
I also have a P-07, and it's an excellent handguns. I've had many CZs over the years, have a custom AT-84s, a tuned 85 Combat, and a Sphinx SDP. (I've had several of the 2000 series Sphinx guns, too.)

The Spinx SDP is very similar to the P-07, in many ways, has slightly better ergonomics, and is otherwise a more-refined weapon, but the two are quite close -- and the P-07 is a lot less expensive. The SDP trigger is outstanding, but it was greatly improved by changing to a slightly less strong CZ hammer spring. Everything I've heard about the P-09 is that it's just a bigger (and perhaps better) P-07.

My P-07, which I got used, has an excellent trigger.

As soon as they're available and I can afford it, I'll see how the Apex-upgrades do with the my FNS guns. That may level THAT playing field a bit, but my P-07 trigger IS better than the FNS trigger.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; May 25, 2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:39 AM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
Everything I've heard about the P-09 is that it's just a bigger (and perhaps better) P-07.
It's bigger (longer slide and grip), but otherwise identical in my experience.

I'm the sort of person who tends to shoot Glock 19s better than Glock 17s (despite big hands and long fingers), so I prefer the P07. But if you already have a P07, buy all means add a P09 to the stable! It's an awesome pistol with a huge capacity (the Suppressor Ready variant ships with 21rd mags).
Old May 25, 2018, 12:20 PM   #12
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
It's bigger (longer slide and grip), but otherwise identical in my experience.
I'll agree that internally they're virtually the same. But the folks shooting them competitively consider the P-09 a bit better. (For carry, however, there'd be no way I'd use the P-09.) It's probably like the SP-01 being considered a bit better than the standard CZ-75B in competition... but the P-01 would be a better carry weapon.
Old June 1, 2018, 03:23 PM   #13
Sulaco

I own one and it's my primary concealed carry handgun. It was between the 509 and the CZ-P10C. I may end up with that one too before it' all said and done. I think the trigger on the 509 is really good for a striker fired gun. Not as good as the CZ, but still really good. I also like having Columbia, SC on the side of the gun I carry around in Columbia, SC.
Old June 2, 2018, 10:49 PM   #14
marine6680

I like my FNS9, and the 509 is basically an updated version.

I prefer the grip of the 509, more comfortable in the hand.

I would buy one at that price.