The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 22, 2018, 12:52 AM   #1
Sterling

At a crossroads....CZP07 OR SIG SP2022

BOTH are in my price range have pretty good trigers my hand seems to favor the CZ but at 45$ a pop for mags....ouch that sucks. Also 5 year CZ vs lifetime Sig warranty. Help me out guys.
Old May 22, 2018, 05:51 AM   #2
Chui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
BOTH are in my price range have pretty good trigers my hand seems to favor the CZ but at 45$ a pop for mags....ouch that sucks. Also 5 year CZ vs lifetime Sig warranty. Help me out guys.

Nothing against the SIG. It's a decent pistol as well.

Of the two I would pick the P-09. The P226? That would be a toss up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old May 22, 2018, 06:57 AM   #3
gbclarkson

Go with the one you believe you will shoot more comfortably and accurately, which seems to be the CZ for you. Curious, how much are Sig mags? Is the cost difference worth purchasing a secondary choice? And, I wouldn't worry about the warranty. CZs are known as durable pistols and are likely to outlive the average shooter.

Have you had a chance to shoot both at a rental range?
Old May 22, 2018, 07:24 AM   #4
Fishbed77

Of the two, my recommendation is the CZ P07. It's a fantastic pistol at any price, and among my 9mm pistols, it's likely the most accurate (or at least the easiest to shoot accurately). I wouldn't concern myself much with the warranty difference. If there are any manufacturing issues with the pistol (not likely), you'll discover them long before 5 years are up.

I agree that the magazines are vastly over-priced. They are of extremely high quality, but CZ can do better in this regard. Especially because the almost identical P10C mags sell for about $30.

There is some confusion about whether the P10C mags are truly compatible with the P07 (the vice versa is definitely true), or if P10C mags require any modification to work in the P07.

Between the P07 and P09, I'd choose the P07, unless you just want a very large pistol. The P07 is just a little more flexible all-around, and shoots every bit as well in my experience.
Old May 22, 2018, 07:45 AM   #5
Siggy-06

+1 for the CZ
Old May 22, 2018, 08:17 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Of the two, my recommendation is the CZ P07. It's a fantastic pistol at any price, and among my 9mm pistols, it's likely the most accurate (or at least the easiest to shoot accurately). I wouldn't concern myself much with the warranty difference. If there are any manufacturing issues with the pistol (not likely), you'll discover them long before 5 years are up.

I agree that the magazines are vastly over-priced. They are of extremely high quality, but CZ can do better in this regard. Especially because the almost identical P10C mags sell for about $30.

There is some confusion about whether the P10C mags are truly compatible with the P07 (the vice versa is definitely true), or if P10C mags require any modification to work in the P07.

Between the P07 and P09, I'd choose the P07, unless you just want a very large pistol. The P07 is just a little more flexible all-around, and shoots every bit as well in my experience.
I always thought it was that older P-07 magazines wouldn't work in the P10-C, but P10-C mags should work in the P-07 because they have all the cutouts (as do newer P-07 magazines).

https://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=88604.0

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 22, 2018, 08:44 AM   #7
JMag1

The Sig is one of the best values, and most overlooked polymer handguns in existence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old May 22, 2018, 08:52 AM   #8
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post

^^^ everything he said

It's become my EDC, home defense and informal "IDPA style" competition gun. I've recently bought a second slide milled for an RMR.

The sig is a really sweet shooter too. Between them the CZ is a bit more compact and just fits my hands better. The low profile slide is a little hard to rack at first but you get used to it.

If you don't plan to carry, the P-09 is an even better shooter and extended magazines give ridiculous capacity for competition. Just be aware that aftermarket sights are few and far between.

So I'd vote CZ, but you absolutely won't go wrong with that Sig either.
Old May 22, 2018, 09:30 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
Just be aware that aftermarket sights are few and far between.
One additional item to note - CZ offers a "Suppressor Ready" version of the P07 (and P09) that come with suppressor-height night sights and a threaded barrel with thread protector. If you want night sights and are not concerned with the height, this package is a raging value, as it only runs about $35 more than the standard P07 from what I've seen locally.

This is the version of the P07 I personally own, and these OEM night sights are of very high quality.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+GREY+9mm+15RD
Old May 22, 2018, 10:07 AM   #10
sigarms228

Both fine pistols and I own the SP2022. It is always best to try both out to see if one works best for you if possible and at minimum handle both and dry fire to see how the pistol interfaces with your hand and trigger finger. IMO the trigger on the SP2022 wil most likely be best out of the box, especially DA trigger pull. Possible downside of the SP2022 is that is pretty much a what you see is what you get pistol being an unique design with the FCU. A couple changeable grips, two types of trigger - standard and short reach, and sights are available for it but that is about it. However the SP2022 is one of the most robust poly frame pistols I have ever seen and a history of being very accurate/reliable/durable. The steel tabs that the slide rides on are massive. As mentioned already the SP2022 comes with a lifetime warranty versus 5 years for the CZ where purchased new.

While I really like the CZ P07 and SIG SP2022 my personal choice in poly frame hammer fired pistol is the HK P30/P30L now that they can be purchased new in the mid $500 range.

Lots of great choices these days.

Cool video of a guy blasting through 5000 rounds on a SIG SP2022 as fast as he can and taking temperatures of the slide periodically through the endurance tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWxtXFy9FSQ

Last edited by sigarms228; May 22, 2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old May 23, 2018, 08:29 AM   #11
texgunner

The current production P07/P10c mags will work in both pistols. The only difference is the base plate is slightly different but that doesn't interfere with fit and function. It's the older P07 Duty mags that won't fit the P10c.

Now to stay on topic, my vote is for the P07. By mags labeled P10c to save money.
Old May 23, 2018, 09:31 AM   #12
jr24

Tough choice with no bad answer IMO.

Yes, the Sig mags are more pricy but the Sig has a better trigger IMO (owned them both at one point) while the P07 carries better. If carry is not an option, the P09 is fun.

Either way they are about as good of a deal on a high quality gun as s you can find NIB out there.

And heck, since the HKs have been suggested, I'll throw out the obligatory GET A GLOCK!.

There, out of the way.
Old May 23, 2018, 02:07 PM   #13
Fishbed77

Quote:
The current production P07/P10c mags will work in both pistols. The only difference is the base plate is slightly different but that doesn't interfere with fit and function. It's the older P07 Duty mags that won't fit the P10c.
Thanks for the clarification. It's odd that CZ sells these mags with a $17-18 difference in price.

Quote:
the Sig has a better trigger IMO
And this is the exact opposite of my experience. YMMV. The DA trigger pull of the SP2022 is a little lighter than the P07, but the SA trigger pull of the P07 feels considerably better to me. This is with the 2nd-gen P07, as I have no experience with the older DUTY model.
Old May 23, 2018, 02:17 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

Which one fits your hand better? Factory triggers are irrelevant. All new firearm require a trigger job.
The $45 a pop for mags would make it an easy decision for me though. Mind you, it'd be best to shop around.
Old May 23, 2018, 06:14 PM   #15
fl_rich

IMHO - I'd say CZ parts are easier to acquire through 3rd party vendors.
Old May 23, 2018, 06:21 PM   #16
PushPuller

Hmmmm. That's tough. I personally would probably go with the CZ and here are my reasons why. First id like to disclose that I have fired neither, held neither and have looked into neither of them until reading this post.

For starters the mag cost is not a large enough difference to be a deal breaker for me. I personally don't feel the need to have 8 mags for a gun, and for as much as I spend on ammo monthly I view at it as one less box of ammo I can buy which for me isn't anything to cry about.

You can change between a safety or a decocker with the CZ.

Secondly is ergonomics. Iv picked up and held many Sigs that just didn't feel very good, but EVERY CZ iv shot or held feels amazing in the hand.

This could be an uneducated assumption so I apologize in advance if it is silly, But between Cajun Gun Works, and CZ Customs you have two great options for smiths that can make an unsatisfactory trigger something amazing as well as doing other repairs/upgrades. In my most recent stint I purchased a Sig 238 and after a month of forum surfing and researching I haven't heard of one Sig oriented smith that does what CGW can do or is willing to do. I would think the larger Sig market would also mean it takes longer to send and receive your gun if repairs need to be done under warranty. Iv also known several people that had to send their Sigs off to get fixed under warranty and have NEVER heard of a CZ needing the same treatment.

Some Sigs are ammo picky for no rhyme or reason. This also nothing iv heard of being an issue with a CZ.

After owning two Sigs ill put it this way on their reliability. The Sig will treat you well and be a reliable handgun. But I would trust my life to ANY CZ if I had to. Between 4 different CZs iv shot in the last 2 years I have an estimated 4000 rounds with no jams or breaks.
Old May 23, 2018, 07:38 PM   #17
5whiskey

Gray guns is the SIG equivalent to CGW for CZ. CGW is probably slightly more economical. But only slightly.

I know nothing of the 2022. I have a p07, and I have to recommend it. I'm better with it than with a p220 or p227.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 23, 2018, 08:05 PM   #18
tallball

I'd take the CZ every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old May 24, 2018, 02:08 AM   #19
armoredman

I have owned a P-07. I have never shot a SIG 2022. I would pick the P-07 without a question. Yes, P-10C mags will work. Cajun Gun Works is a bunch of some of the finest people around, good crew, recommend highly.
puchPuller, I run the CZ Forum, onew of the biggest CZ fans around, and I have heard of CZ pistols going back for warrantee work. It's not as common as some, but every single company in the world has had lemons. What I can say is I have never needed to send any of MY CZ firearms back for warrantee work, (I've had a few here and there), I do know people who have, and the customer service has generally been outstanding.
BTW, did you guys see the bags of "genuine SIG parts" marked "Made in India"?
Old May 24, 2018, 06:40 AM   #20
dean1818

They are both excellent guns

I had P226 and P229s and 75B from CZ

After many many years, of trying, I ended up keeping guns that I could CCW comfortably and shoot well

Part of the search for, and ultimate happiness of a new gun, is purpose based.

Is it for target? Is it for home protection? Is it for CCW? (are you an open carry state?)

Both of these guns are very thick (1.46 for cz and 1.4 for Sig)

It can be done, but a 1.46 inch thick gun is a bit uncomfortable in a IWB, IMHO

I tried my P229 (a little smaller that 2022) as IWB, and its doable with a crossbreed, but a bit of a hassle.

I ended up moving to M&Ps (M&P40C is my go to)

Good luck! Half of the fun is the hunt for the gun

Buying American made, wherever I still can

Last edited by dean1818; May 24, 2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old May 24, 2018, 07:04 AM   #21
wild cat mccane

I'll say it.

CGW exists because CZ stock triggers are crap. Yep. Crap. Reset is long, DA is heavy, no defined break point. CZ does not live up to the internet hype even half. Everything a particular CZ model does, others do too. I'm a previous SP-01 Tactical owner too.

At this price point, consider the PX4 too.

I've owned the P-09. Meh. Backstrap system is weird. Pull was long and reset was long in SA.

Sig 2022 is a bit wide. The 2022 is better than the standard/Extreme P226 trigger, but it is not a Sig Enhanced Elite SRT ($800 at CDNN right now) level good.

I dislike the PX4 because it is more "T" shaped than most guns--ie too vertical in the grip to slide. Beretta sells a 95 dollar competition trigger group. Should improve the trigger.

$100 more and you do get the HK P30. Having owned the P30L, it's good.

So, having owned all (P-09 vs the P-07), you don't go wrong either way. Most people do not know CZ and reselling a CZ was the most difficult gun I've sold after changing my mind.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; May 24, 2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old May 24, 2018, 08:04 AM   #22
Fishbed77

Quote:
Factory triggers are irrelevant. All new firearm require a trigger job
More proof that anyone can say anything on the internet.

I'm sure 3rd party vendors loves this mentality - it drives people to line the vendors' pockets by pouring money into their firearms before they are even broken in (the only point at which you can accurately gauge the quality of the trigger).

That's not to say CGW triggers aren't great. They definitely are. But I've found that the vast majority of stock triggers in service-style pistols are perfectly adequate for the job one they are broken in, and, more importantly, once you shoot to proficiency and learn your gun.
Old May 24, 2018, 09:48 AM   #23
jackstrawIII

CZ all day. I've had good luck with MecGar mags for my CZs, at a much lower price.
Old May 24, 2018, 09:50 AM   #24
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII View Post
CZ all day. I've had good luck with MecGar mags for my CZs, at a much lower price.
I don't think Mec Gar makes mags for the P-07, at least not duplicates of factory.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 24, 2018, 02:07 PM   #25
Fishbed77

Quote:
I don't think Mec Gar makes mags for the P-07, at least not duplicates of factory.
Mec Gar does not make P07 magazines, though I have found that their CZ75 mags do function well in the P07. However, they stick pretty far our of the grip and I wouldn't consider them for defensive use.