The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 13, 2018, 05:54 PM   #1
Sulaco

Best Fighting Pistol

I don't post much but I've been around a while. I have a potential scenario and am interested in feedback from the community.

Imagine an active shooter situation, say one or possibly multiple assailants, in a large, "auditorium" type environment.

Obviously, to engage and eliminate the threat, would require training and situational awareness allowing the ability to close to the target within a distance that would potentially minimize any third party injuries.

In this scenario, and given these requirements, what would your pistol choice be and why?

And yes, I know a rifle would solve problems, but lets just say for arguments' sake, it must be a pistol.

Thanks for the info.
Old May 13, 2018, 06:04 PM   #2
TunnelRat

There are any number of reliable pistols on the market these days. Whatever you felt comfortable concealing I don't really think one pistol has a significant advantage over another when we're talking the major players, although capacity is obviously important. I mention concealability because if you decided a full-size pistol with 4 spare mags was your best choice but never carry anything more than a single stacks pistol than the point is moot until you decide to reevaluate what you carry. While you mentioned it, training will make far more of a difference in that situation than equipment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 13, 2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old May 13, 2018, 06:15 PM   #3
t4terrific

Just like every other day, my choice would be a Glock 19.
Old May 13, 2018, 06:17 PM   #4
Onward Allusion

For me it would be a Glock or a 3rd Gen Smith.
Old May 13, 2018, 06:20 PM   #5
BigJimP

I don't care what the scenario is ....for me its a full sized 1911 in 9mm, my choice is a Wilson Combat 5" Protector, ( so 10 + 1 / and 1 mag of 10 rds on my belt ).
Old May 13, 2018, 06:31 PM   #6
Sgt127

Given that specific scenario? A 6” S&W Model 27.

I guess I’ll expound on that. At work, I carry a Wilson Master Grade 1911 I had built in 1989. It’s a superb duty gun, for me. I can imagine where I have to take a tough shot, at long range. Across a classroom, library, whatever. I can really hit with a good .45.

Yet, it has enough capacity for any other situation I envision. I’ve shot tens of thousands of rounds through a 1911, I’m very good with it.

If, however, my primary goal was to take that one “hostage shot” with a handgun, it would be very hard to beat a 6” .357. You’re certainly not unarmed in any other situation, but, lugging a 6” N Frame all day would get tiresome.

Last edited by Sgt127; May 13, 2018 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old May 13, 2018, 06:33 PM   #7
xcc_rider

The only best fighting pistol is the one you've trained and are proficient with. It won't matter what anyone recommends as the best, and it doesn't matter how many rounds or mags you carry, if you don't shoot it well you might as well carry a stapler in your holster.

All the other recommendations (read opinions) are just that, opinions. (Just like mine above)
Find a weapon that ergonomically works for you, train with it until exceptionally proficient, get some tactical defensive training and don't look back.
Old May 13, 2018, 06:44 PM   #8
Sulaco

I have training and I have several personal preferences. I'm not asking for you to give me advice on how to perform, I'm asking you to give me advice on your choice of weapons platform and why.
Old May 13, 2018, 07:06 PM   #9
10-96

For the sake of your question, I would have to choose a CZ 75 or 75 BD. It's the one I feel most confident in that I could put the most accurate fire on target with. I shoot well with a number of sidearms, but the familiarity and confidence I already have in the CZ would make it my top pick. The CZ has a pretty well known/established track record for accuracy in of itself, rides low in the hand, minimal flip, easy (for me) to use sights, and a natural feeling grip.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 13, 2018, 07:09 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post
I have training and I have several personal preferences. I'm not asking for you to give me advice on how to perform, I'm asking you to give me advice on your choice of weapons platform and why.
I've done 20 training courses at this point and I still never feel like just because I do one more course I will be all set when it comes to training. Training is the difference maker, and as someone that has done training I imagine you know that.

But if you want to talk hardware, let me be the devil's advocate. Why does it matter what the rest of us use? It sounds like you already have pistols and setups that work for you. How does what someone else use change that? Is this an information gathering thing where you're just curious, or are you trying to evaluate a certain aspect of your setup and possible alternatives? You can read that as me being snarky, but it's a legitimate question.

You came into this with a very specific scenario, a scenario where again I'd argue the brand of firearm isn't going to make anywhere near the same difference as training. Is this a reliability question? Because at the end of the day pistol calibers are what they are and their effectiveness is limited and shot placement becomes key. I haven't owned a production pistol yet where I felt the factory barrel was "inaccurate" and the velocity differences by barrel aren't that large. So again, absent capacity and reliability what's the underlying question? I'm just trying to get more info to make this more meaningful than a list of everyone's personal choices.

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 13, 2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old May 13, 2018, 07:14 PM   #11
Nanuk

For me it would be what I have already chosen as a primary EDC. Glock 31C 357 Sig. I can make consistent hits on man sized targets @ 100 yards and shoot the same gun in IDPA.

I carry it and 2 spares in a Galco shoulder rig, with a floating 2nd gun Charter Arms Bulldog 44.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old May 13, 2018, 07:19 PM   #12
10-96

Quote:
but lets just say for arguments' sake, it must be a pistol.
Quote:
So again, absent capacity and reliability what's the underlying question?
TR- Ease up on the throttle bro, it's an open forum and sometimes folks just want to toss things out there and see what bounces back. That's what we do. We were never asked to conform to a rigorous set standard of forum specifics and absolutes. You might have been, but I wasn't asked to conform to such.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 13, 2018, 07:33 PM   #13
weblance

Glock 32 ~ 357 Sig
Old May 13, 2018, 07:38 PM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-96 View Post
TR- Ease up on the throttle bro, it's an open forum and sometimes folks just want to toss things out there and see what bounces back. That's what we do. We were never asked to conform to a rigorous set standard of forum specifics and absolutes. You might have been, but I wasn't asked to conform to such.
I never said we were. I asked a series of questions to see if there was a deeper question here than just a list. You're taking my questions harder than I am taking his.

Old May 13, 2018, 07:46 PM   #15
Model12Win

Many to choose from, but probably the CORRECT answer is the Walther PPQ-45.
Old May 13, 2018, 07:58 PM   #16
sgms

xcc rider is correct. The best fighting pistol for you is the one you are using the most for serious shooting and S.D. drills (not fun shooting or plinking) and the 1 you are most comfortable shooting. The one that gets selected most frequently for cary, and the one you use best. The pistol you use best is the one you will probably hit with quickest and most accurately.
Shot placement is everything. Bigger bullets are usually better but a pair of .38 spl. center mass beat the snot out of a .45 in the arm and a miss.
My preference tends to the 1911's or BHP's (ya my age is showing) in extremely cold periods usually a revolver with a 2 or 3" barrel rides in a coat pocket as well, but the hot summer weather tend to get a smaller lighter Kel-Tec P-11 under a lose untucked shirt. Thats my thinking on it anyway.
Old May 13, 2018, 08:03 PM   #17
glockman55

My CZ 75B, and an extra mag or two..
Old May 13, 2018, 08:09 PM   #18
GarandTd

I would imagine whatever pistol one is most proficient with would be the best choice. I am most proficient with a SAR K2P 9mm(CZ style). The problem lies in the fact that it's not the pistol I carry at most times. I'm not a big guy and concealing a duty sized double stack 9 is no easy task. As a result, I tend to carry a subcompact single stack 380. I shoot the 380 well, but not to the degree of my full size 9mm. It is a compromise I've made and have to live with.
Old May 13, 2018, 08:45 PM   #19
stephen426

Your scenario is not likely since most auditorium settings tend to be gun free zones. If you’re thinking sports arenas or the like, there will be plenty of police and possibly even snipers posted. Pulling a gun in that scenario will lead to a high probablility of hitting bystanders AND being mistaken for another shooter.

We have had two active shooter scares in the mall I work in. I believe both occurred on Saturday nights when the mall was packed. While we have have had fire alarms go off before, I have never seen people clear out so quickly. They ran into stores and bolted for the exits. No way to get a clear shot unless you happen to be very close to the action. The cops showed up in minutes. A drawn weapon has a high likelihood of getting you shot when they show up in force. My carry gun has a light and laser on it. I switched to laser only to avoid drawing attention to myself just in case I had to use the gun.

Let’s use the Aurora movie theater shooting as another example. Shooting in a dark packed theater will almost certainly lead to bystanders getting shot. If you are very close, do what you have to do to defend yourself. I think hitting the ground and shooting upwards minimizes the chances of hitting bystanders and takes you out of the main line of fire. Be prepared for when the shooter gets close and take him out.

The shooting in the mall in Oregon involved a longer range shot so a gun with a longer eight radius would have helped. As mentioned a laser may help with longer distance shots.

For most scenarios, hardware won’t make that much difference. Practice enough and almost any gun will do.
Old May 13, 2018, 08:53 PM   #20
xcc_rider

I'm not telling you how to perform. My first paragraph says it all.

It's not about what platform you use, it's a about how well you use it.
All you get from posts like this is the glock guys vs 45 auto guys, vs etc and I haven't read of a not often repeated recommendation yet.

You could narrow the search parameters a bit and tell them if you're looking for CC or duty weapon but the same old opinions will fly again.

So I'll just bow out of this one.
Old May 13, 2018, 08:58 PM   #21
Siggy-06

Definitely would want a full size pistol with a good sight radius to help with distant targets. A excellent teigger would help too: 1911, CZ 75 SA, Walther P99 AS, S&W 686. Just make sure you hit the assailant(s) hard and fast before you draw all their attention.
Old May 13, 2018, 09:04 PM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
Let’s use the Aurora movie theater shooting as another example. Shooting in a dark packed theater will almost certainly lead to bystanders getting shot.
To start I agree with basically all of your points and I think they're well made. What I quoted above is a real concern and would likely see yourself face trial or get shot by a responding officer. What I will say though is that not shooting because of fear of hitting a bystander is a mixed bag. In not shooting in a mass shooting type scenario you mostly know other people are going to get killed. So could you engaging in the fight lead to deaths? Absolutely, and it's important to consider that. But not engaging in the fight will lead to more deaths. It's a terrible situation.

For anyone in the Texas or NH regions there is an instructor named Todd Rassa that does a multi-day course on Active Shooter Response for The Concerned Citizen. There is an optional day of force on force with sims/UTM. This is one of the best courses I have ever taken.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 13, 2018, 09:09 PM   #23
OhioGuy

A Glock 19 size of gun (I'm a CZ nerd so P07 all day baby!) with a red dot sight. Your scenario requires total situational awareness, rapid transitions and probably distance shots. The RDS allows all that with both eyes open.

But I sure wouldn't want to be stuck with a little LCP in that auditorium.
Old May 13, 2018, 09:14 PM   #24
moosemike

A 1911 in 45 ACP
Old May 13, 2018, 09:26 PM   #25
5whiskey

Quote:
To start I agree with basically all of your points and I think they're well made. What I quoted above is a real concern and would likely see yourself face trial or get shot by a responding officer. What I will say though is that not shooting because of fear of hitting a bystander is a mixed bag. In not shooting in a mass shooting type scenario you mostly know other people are going to get killed. So could you engaging in the fight lead to deaths? Absolutely, and it's important to consider that. But not engaging in the fight will lead to more deaths. It's a terrible situation.
I agree with the bold, absolutely... but I also agree with the rest of this statement. Much discussion has been spent on hitting innocent bystanders when engaging mass shooters. It absolutely is an important consideration, however there are a lot of factors in play. If you are the only armed resistance, and you can engage a shooter before he has taken more than a handful of lives, will you be better off to just stop the shooter? If he has killed 3 people randomly already, in a crowded theater, and heaven forbid you did hit an innocent bystander by engaging, did you still save many more lives? Or has the shooter already engaged all that he intends to? Are there screaming people running in the background, or have they already sought cover? A lot of questions, and there are no easy answers. But... still the situation could exist that taking a high risk shot could still have benefits that outweigh the risks. Not a discussion to be had lightly, but still a discussion that I believe every good person who chooses to carry a firearm for defense of self/others should have internally. And be prepared to accept any potential negative consequences.

In the context of the OP's question, to me a "fighting pistol" is not a pocket carry, single stack .380. I would want at least 9mm, full length grip, and preferably a large capacity. A Glock 19 or CZ P07 can be concealed if you're willing to dress around the gun. Those would be my choices personally.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946